Next Season Without Fans?

I cant see much information from the EFL concerning how they will tackle next season. Do we know when the planned start date is? Do we know if any fans will be admitted? Do we know if fans aren't admitted how teams even in the championship let alone leagues 1 & 2 will survive financially?

Personally, from where we are now I cant see any fans in the stadiums for a long time but even if say 25% of capacity were allowed distanced accordingly would that be a "match day experience" for you?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

I cant see much information from the EFL concerning how they will tackle next season. Do we know when the planned start date is? Do we know if any fans will be admitted? Do we know if fans aren't admitted how teams even in the championship let alone leagues 1 & 2 will survive financially?

Personally, from where we are now I cant see any fans in the stadiums for a long time but even if say 25% of capacity were allowed distanced accordingly would that be a "match day experience" for you?

Would be a strange experience to say the least. I’ve enjoyed going to the football with my dad for the last 24 years. At the moment we watch all the games together and try treat it the same but we miss just going to the pub for half a pint and drowning in the atmosphere as it was.

The financial aspect for clubs would be devastating, there is many examples I could use but Burton Albion would be in massive trouble surely. This is where the greed of the premier league drives me mad. No doubt you’ll see Manchester United spending over £100 million in the summer!  

No news yet - season ticket renewal deadline is 31st July. I'm waiting until further information is announced on next season before renewing. As you've mentioned, a limited capacity wouldn't get the full match day experience for me, no doubt away fans will be banned too.

1 hour ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Ask Middlesbrough - they have a lot of experience in this area. 

1 hour ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

The EFL have a meeting this week.  Topics include..

• Start date for next season
  • Plans for bringing fans back
  • Introducing a salary cap (£13m a year I think is the proposal)

Amongst other things.

50 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

• Screwing DCFC. 

Amongst other things.

FTFY 

You missed one. 

36 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Amongst other things.

£1.5m in L2, £2.5m in L1 and £18/20m in the Championship.

I can't help but feel it would be disastrous for the football league, cutting itself off from the Premier League, and creating a massive divide between the Championship and the leagues below. The figures for L1 and L2 match the income of the bottom earners in those leagues, not even half the average in the respective leagues. It just comes across as a measure to drag everyone down to the same level, rather than elevating the lower earners.

Average revenue in each league (excluding parachute payments):
Premier League = £275m
Championship = £20.3m
League 2 = 6.5m
League 1 = £3.5m

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£1.5m in L2, £2.5m in L1 and £18/20m in the Championship.

I can't help but feel it would be disastrous for the football league, cutting itself off from the Premier League, and creating a massive divide between the Championship and the leagues below. The figures for L1 and L2 match the income of the bottom earners in those leagues, not even half the average in the respective leagues. It just comes across as a measure to drag everyone down to the same level, rather than elevating the lower earners.

Average revenue in each league (excluding parachute payments):
Premier League = £275m
Championship = £20.3m
League 2 = 6.5m
League 1 = £3.5m

Not necessarily @Ghost of Clough. As I understand the proposal it is that the cap will cover all Players' wages, not create a maximum salary for an individual player. So a PL contract player could still play in the Championship but their high wages would mean other players in a squad being paid less - there are also proposals that require a minimum size of squad.

The real problem will be the parachute payments which are being excluded. It is they that will (continue) to exacerbate the differences in wealth between the two leagues and in a short time create a single group of clubs that get promoted and then relegated with the odd exception every now and again to keep it interesting. 

The problem with a rotating crowd of 1/3 capacity is some people don’t turn up even in normal times. If someone gets to go and doesn’t, someone misses out. 

I just can’t see the small attendances working. Who is more deserving? All (who want to) or nothing and only when it’s safe. 

Archived