Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

The first two films in the 'X' trilogy passed me by    ... but there has been a fair amount of noise about the final part (Maxxine) so I've watched the first 2 in order to watch the last, with no idea what they were about.

So

'X' and 'Pearl' 

They felt a bit like 'Get Out' to me? As in they were thoroughly modern 'horror' films that were steeped in a love of the past. Not just that they were set in the past but also felt nostalgic or nodding at previous films/genres. 

'X' looks grainy and has an authentic 70's feel. It's a classic group in the woods - who this time are making an adult movie - 'slasher' set-up  that feels a bit Evil Dead/Texas Chainsaw but is less nasty and with more watchable characters. 8/10

'Pearl' is the 2nd film, which is actually a prequel. Its set around 60years earlier and follows 'Pearl' a young girl who is stuck out on a farm. Its like 'Carrie' crossed with 'Wizard of Oz', and of the 2 I liked it even more 9/10.

I feel like there is a whole series of university seminars on film studies that I need to attend to make more sense of the background, understand all the writer/director's intentions and be shown all the movies that were referenced.

Work as just 2 decent horror films, but feel like they were made with more intention than your average slasher films.

Deadpool and Wolverine.

I'm glad Disney has a sense of humour, otherwise this film never airs, or simply isn't anywhere near as good.

Gratuitous violence, bad language, cameos and references. 

And the 4th wall? There's about as much of the 4th wall left as there is the Berlin wall. 

There actually is a storyline though, and while it involves one of my pet hates (I won't spoil) it's done mostly for spite, and does properly drag them both into the overall arc of the MCU.

10/10 from me. It's everything I wanted from it.

Leave The World Behind - Made me feel pretty smart because I figured out what was going on quite early. Mrs was baffled until the final credits. Some themes I missed ("White Lion" tanker) a little bit and i interpreted the ending wrong according to the director. 

8/10. 

Furiosa 

Big Mad Max fan. Fury Road was just relentless fun imo. This is more of the same but didn't quite hit the same level as Fury Road. The script for both could have been written by a teenager. Adrenaline fueled nonsense that hits the spot when you're not in the mood for 4.5 hours of Christopher Nolan trying to epic the sheet out of you. 

8/10

Deadpool & Wolverine next. More nonsense please!

Edited by Alph

On 08/08/2024 at 09:25, Animal is a Ram said:

Deadpool and Wolverine.

I'm glad Disney has a sense of humour, otherwise this film never airs, or simply isn't anywhere near as good.

Gratuitous violence, bad language, cameos and references. 

And the 4th wall? There's about as much of the 4th wall left as there is the Berlin wall. 

There actually is a storyline though, and while it involves one of my pet hates (I won't spoil) it's done mostly for spite, and does properly drag them both into the overall arc of the MCU.

10/10 from me. It's everything I wanted from it.

On 11/08/2024 at 21:52, Premier ram said:

Dead pool and Wolverine , a brilliant 10/10

I’m one of the MCU followers, as my son has got into them with me so it’s our tradition to watch each new film. As he’s only 11 though, he was gutted to learn he won’t be watching this one for a while.

Seems to have gained lots of fans, especially those not as interested in recent Marvel/other Superhero movies because of all the reasons you state @Animal is a Ram

It is a good movie, but left me wanting a little bit more. The storyline is lacking, which makes sense as they had to completely rewrite a section during the writers strikes as an important villain is now no longer involved in the MCU (due to personal actions). His inclusion would have made the movie more coherent.

However, the main point of this movie was never the story. It’s the glorious action and humour combination, which it does well. Look forward to seeing how they include a censored Deadpool in the future…

13 hours ago, r4derby said:

I’m one of the MCU followers, as my son has got into them with me so it’s our tradition to watch each new film. As he’s only 11 though, he was gutted to learn he won’t be watching this one for a while.

Seems to have gained lots of fans, especially those not as interested in recent Marvel/other Superhero movies because of all the reasons you state @Animal is a Ram

It is a good movie, but left me wanting a little bit more. The storyline is lacking, which makes sense as they had to completely rewrite a section during the writers strikes as an important villain is now no longer involved in the MCU (due to personal actions). His inclusion would have made the movie more coherent.

However, the main point of this movie was never the story. It’s the glorious action and humour combination, which it does well. Look forward to seeing how they include a censored Deadpool in the future…

I think the nature of comic Deadpool, movie Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds, and the current state of the MCU, with the aforementioned villain issue - meant that I was never going to treat it as... 'mainstream'?... MCU canon, it just wasn't going to fully integrate, it's just lip service to the greater arc.

and I think it's better for it. But I do understand what you're saying about leaving you wanting a little more.

The Fall Guy

Had very little connection to the original 80s TV series other than the character name and the fact he's a stunt man.

Went for that mix of Hollywood lead man going for a family-ish film with wisecracks, romance and big action scenes. Didn't really succeed on any level. 

5 /10 bit boring 

Edited by Chester40

9 hours ago, Chester40 said:

The Fall Guy

Had very little connection to the original 80s TV series other than the character name and the fact he's a stunt man.

Went for that mix of Hollywood lead man going for a family-ish film with wisecracks, romance and big action scenes. Didn't really succeed on any level. 

5 /10 bit boring 

I was done after 30 minutes. Gosling has somehow gone from doing stuff like The Place beyond the Pines and Drive, to Barbie to this inane, vacuous fluff. One can only hope they're paying him well. And David Leitch directed  did Deadpool!

I sometimes think Hollywood actually despises its own audiences, but clearly there's a market for it, so the joke's on me I guess.

Queen and Slim (2019) on iPlayer. Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith are superb as a young black couple on a first date who encounter a white patrolman late at night. 8.5/10

Deadpool and Wolverine

9/10. 

Deadpool ruins a serious entry to the MCU after ruining his own movies. Marvel fans just can't have nice things anymore. 

I went in with a slight concern some of the jokes might get old. But because they give him complete freedom to mock everyone and everything it just hits even harder. For example the jokes at a character that was/is to be replaced by a younger actor. 

I only didn't give it a 10 because that means it's up there with the serious epic great films in history and it's just Ryan Reynolds messing about. So good though. 

8 hours ago, KaiserBillsBatman said:

I recommended Sasquatch Sunset to a co-worker who refused to talk to me for three days afterwards…

Never heard of it before, but looked it up and it sounds like a marmite kind of film - why did they seemingly hate it?

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Never heard of it before, but looked it up and it sounds like a marmite kind of film - why did they seemingly hate it?

You maybe need to watch it…and my colleague paid herself and two friends in to watch it so she feels I cheated her out of a night out and £25!

it’s way more than marmite, I’d describe it as Planet Of The Apes for the apes who didn’t get the parts… 

1 hour ago, KaiserBillsBatman said:

You maybe need to watch it…and my colleague paid herself and two friends in to watch it so she feels I cheated her out of a night out and £25!

it’s way more than marmite, I’d describe it as Planet Of The Apes for the apes who didn’t get the parts… 

Is there a reason you hate your pals so much? 

12 hours ago, KaiserBillsBatman said:

That comment suggests you’ve checked out the film 

I  made it about halfway through the trailer, if that counts? I have actually seen some of the Zellner brother's other stuff, in fairness and to me they're just a Poundland version of the Coens to whom they attempted to pay homage and failed badly. Maybe they're an acquired taste, like sheep testicles or monkey brains?

On the subject of films that should have been drowned in a barrel, for the love of god folks, do not waste your time on Twisters. It's probably the first film I've tried to watch where I wanted every single character portrayed to have a house dropped on their head. You know when films are so bad they're almost funny? Well this wasn't that.

1/10 Mikel Beck tripping balls whilst wearing a blindfold and size 15 clogs. 

On 19/08/2024 at 08:54, Crewton said:

Queen and Slim (2019) on iPlayer. Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith are superb as a young black couple on a first date who encounter a white patrolman late at night. 8.5/10

A friend recommended this, but I think it'd make me a tad fierce on a day where that box is already ticked. I've added it to my watchlist though, as the reviews (good and bad) seem to tell a story.

On 19/08/2024 at 10:00, Alph said:

Deadpool and Wolverine

9/10. 

Deadpool ruins a serious entry to the MCU after ruining his own movies. Marvel fans just can't have nice things anymore. 

I went in with a slight concern some of the jokes might get old. But because they give him complete freedom to mock everyone and everything it just hits even harder. For example the jokes at a character that was/is to be replaced by a younger actor. 

I only didn't give it a 10 because that means it's up there with the serious epic great films in history and it's just Ryan Reynolds messing about. So good though. 

I loved the first film as it was just so irreverent and unlike most MCU output, it steadfastly refused to take itself seriously. The 2nd movie not so much though. Felt samey and a tad beige by comparison. Lots of good words on here for this 3rd outing mind, so will have a look when I can. NGL, I thought the addition of Wolverine felt like a bit of a lowball gimmick, but I'd be happy to be wrong. I won't be chip pissing if I don't like it though, as I do feel that perhaps as I get older I'm becoming too jaded for some of these types of film, or perhaps I've seen to many of them.

Kneecap (18) seen at The Quad. Raucous, irreverent, Irish black comedy set in Belfast and based on a true story (with added dramatisation) of the rise of a couple of drug-taking young rappers. Hilarious at times with a serious point behind it (about the fight for Irish language rights in NI). 8.5/10 (not suitable for sensitive Loyalists)

On 25/08/2024 at 19:14, Comrade 86 said:

A friend recommended this, but I think it'd make me a tad fierce on a day where that box is already ticked. I've added it to my watchlist though, as the reviews (good and bad) seem to tell a story.

I loved the first film as it was just so irreverent and unlike most MCU output, it steadfastly refused to take itself seriously. The 2nd movie not so much though. Felt samey and a tad beige by comparison. Lots of good words on here for this 3rd outing mind, so will have a look when I can. NGL, I thought the addition of Wolverine felt like a bit of a lowball gimmick, but I'd be happy to be wrong. I won't be chip pissing if I don't like it though, as I do feel that perhaps as I get older I'm becoming too jaded for some of these types of film, or perhaps I've seen to many of them.

Have you watched it yet?! 

I loved Deadpool 2 as much as the first so maybe the third was always going to be a winner for me. Although I didn’t expect to find it as funny as it’s still really just telling the same jokes and using cameos to kind of boost the effect.

The weakest part for me was the plot. I barely cared for it at all. I think that might have been intentional or maybe just an excuse to throw in various cameos and settings. I just found it such good fun. 

I’ve been a little bit intrigued by The Crow remake. But my God, it’s getting truly slaughtered. I don’t know how you mess up such a simple film.