Supermarkets are bad towards disabled people

B4ev6is

1 hour ago, 1967RAMS said:

It’s unnecessary ffs. How hard is it for some people to comprehend?  The more people that are in a supermarket, the greater the risk to staff and other shoppers and the harder it is it keep safe distances. 

Supermarkets seem to have a limit on the number of people in the store. If a couple go in then they should be counted as 2 people. As long as the supermarket sticks to their limit then there is zero increased risk at any point in time to anyone. You could argue queues will be longer as the turnover of customers is reduced. But, it's also likely that a couple shopping will be in and out much quicker than if it was just one of them (in my personal experience anyway)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Supermarkets seem to have a limit on the number of people in the store. If a couple go in then they should be counted as 2 people. As long as the supermarket sticks to their limit then there is zero increased risk at any point in time to anyone. You could argue queues will be longer as the turnover of customers is reduced. But, it's also likely that a couple shopping will be in and out much quicker than if it was just one of them (in my personal experience anyway)

Tosh. At any point in time I agree the risk isn’t increased. But over the course of the day, if twice the amount of people go into the supermarket than is needed, the risk is doubled. It’s not rocket science

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When these rules were first being introduced I went to the supermarket with my girlfriend. We joined the queue and were told we couldn't go in together - my assumption being we could both go in, just not at the same time. When we got to the front we were told one of us would have to wait outside. Her reasoning was if we went together people wouldn't be able to pass us (and stay more than 2m away) when we're stood next to each other.
#1 -  I don't think any aisle is more than 2m wide so people are forced to violate the 2m distance rule.

I wait for them to move forward. I don't push past people, but a lot of people seem to think the rule is "keep 2m distance unless you need those cornflakes next to that man".

#2 - Do people actually shop side-by-side with their partner? I can't recall ever doing it myself. If anything we basically do our own shopping but share a trolley and go to the checkout together.

Yes, some people want to walk around side by side and discuss their shopping.

#3 - She was selective in applying this rule. Some couple were let in, others turned away. The same was still happening last weekend.

Was she asking why they needed to shop together? Like B4 is eluding to, some people's needs are different to others. If I need new trousers or shoes I probably need to try them. If you need to collect a prescription you'll need to sign for it. 

#4 - If we had queued separately, we both could have gone in.

You would also have filled the shop a little more. If everyone went in pairs, it'd double the number of people shopping, and double the time it takes to get in. Queues in supermarkets look horrendous now, with strict limits on number of shoppers in the building at any one time.

#5 - As my girlfriend went in by herself she spent an hour in there. If I had gone in with her we would have been back out in less than 20 minutes. Surely 2 people in for 20 minutes is better than 1 person for 3 times as long?

If you'd gone on your own, and not have to spend time telling her to come away from the aisles you don't need anything from, it would have taken 15 minutes. Surely 1 person in for 15 minutes is better than both alternatives? As the store colleagues will tell you, you aren't there to browse, you're there to buy essentials.

5 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

Tosh. At any point in time I agree the risk isn’t increased. But over the course of the day, if twice the amount of people go into the supermarket than is needed, the risk is doubled. It’s not rocket science

Surely risk is reduced if a couple spends 20 minutes in the store rather than one of them being in there for an hour?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely risk is reduced if a couple spends 20 minutes in the store rather than one of them being in there for an hour?

I think you're reaching to make an excuse to do what you want to do. Tell her to stay at home and do the shopping yourself. It's not an excuse to go for an hour out, it's to get the essentials you need for the week.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No it isn’t. The carrier of and recipients of this virus are people. The less people people come into contact with each other the less chance it will spread. Couples tend to go round together so the time saved isn’t going to be much. Plus aisles are only so wide. It would be impossible for one couple to pass another in an aisle and keep 2 metres apart. 

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think that says more about your girlfriends shopping habits though if two of you can do it in significantly less time than one. As @GboroRam says, maybe if you went on your own. I now shop on my own and it takes less time than two of us. I just gets what’s on the list and if they don’t have exactly what I’ve been ordered to buy I make a decision regarding alternatives (so far I’ve not got into too much trouble. She must be cutting me some slack) rather than the two of us discussing the options.

41 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I had to wait 3 minutes behind this woman this morning who was complaining about the restrictions Sainsburys had put in place. She only went in for some plasters.

Animated GIF

chair let GIF

Looks like she may have needed a bit more than just plasters afterwards.?

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think you're reaching to make an excuse to do what you want to do. Tell her to stay at home and do the shopping yourself. It's not an excuse to go for an hour out, it's to get the essentials you need for the week.

Hardly making excuses to do what I want. I made a reference to what I experienced when the restrictions were first put in place - I didn't know about them until I was in the supermarket queue. Too far to walk with a weeks worth of shopping so we took the car. It didn't seem worthwhile drive home to wait for her before driving back so opted not to do that after being refused entry. I was a bit disappointed they didn't make a few exceptions considering it was a new policy (first day iirc) but I understood and accepted it... only to see the baffling decision to make exceptions as recently as last weekend.

Now we know the rule is in place we've obviously adjusted our routine to suit

3 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

No it isn’t. The carrier of and recipients of this virus are people. The less people people come into contact with each other the less chance it will spread. Couples tend to go round together so the time saved isn’t going to be much. Plus isles are only so wide. It would be impossible for one couple to pass another in an isle and keep 2 metres apart.

My understanding is certainly different to yours. My belief is that the chance of catching the virus is relate to exposure to people. Therefore, being near 2 people for 20 minutes results in less chance of catching it than 1 person for 1 hour - surely 2 people for 20 minutes is equivalent to 1 person for 40 minutes? Are you claiming the time spent near someone with the virus is irrelevant?
Aisles aren't wider than 2m anyway so you shouldn't be passing anyone. The average shopping trolley is just over 0.5m and typically aisles are just a tad wider than 3 trolleys. I would actually argue that 2 people standing side-by-side would stop people violating the 2m radius and results in a safer shopping experience.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think that says more about your girlfriends shopping habits though if two of you can do it in significantly less time than one. As @GboroRam says, maybe if you went on your own. I now shop on my own and it takes less time than two of us. I just gets what’s on the list and if they don’t have exactly what I’ve been ordered to buy I make a decision regarding alternatives (so far I’ve not got into too much trouble. She must be cutting me some slack) rather than the two of us discussing the options.

Oh definitely! I've always hated shopping with her, but she doesn't like going by herself for whatever reason. Unfortunately, I don't seem to get away with not getting exactly what she wants ?

59 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

The risk of one person getting it is doubled, but the risk of any one getting it is increased exponentially dependent upon the number of people, so yes, it is rocket science.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My belief is that the chance of catching the virus is relate to exposure to people. 

Not solely. We know the virus can live for a long time on surfaces, hours in fact. If you touch it, then touch your face, you risk exposing yourself to infection.

The less people going into places, the less those surfaces get exposed to people. That infected person who picks up a tin of beans and puts it back, who hadn't washed their hands after scratching their nose, transfers the virus to it. The next customer who picks it up transfers it to their hand, and around and around we go.

The less people around, the less chance of infected people being around. The less infected people being around, the less chance for the virus to be spread to the things people are touching.

I don't believe what I'm reading here!

So here we are in the middle of a pandemic, and in the hope of keeping people alive and/or healthy, we are being asked to shop alone... where possible.  Actually, we are now being to told, but it really shouldn't have come to that in a so-called civilised society.

Assuming we are all fit, healthy, and able... and I know that isn't so, but this post isn't aimed at those that aren't... why the effing eff would anyone reputing to be a decent person... or even half-decent... be looking for excuses to shop as a couple, or to justify why they should be allowed to do so... or to put the onus on the shop staff to patrol things?  I repeat... WHY?

People are dying.  We are being told/asked to shop alone (amongst other things), for the sake of ourselves, as well as others.

Why not just play by the effing rules?  

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hardly making excuses to do what I want. I made a reference to what I experienced when the restrictions were first put in place - I didn't know about them until I was in the supermarket queue. Too far to walk with a weeks worth of shopping so we took the car. It didn't seem worthwhile drive home to wait for her before driving back so opted not to do that after being refused entry. I was a bit disappointed they didn't make a few exceptions considering it was a new policy (first day iirc) but I understood and accepted it... only to see the baffling decision to make exceptions as recently as last weekend.

Now we know the rule is in place we've obviously adjusted our routine to suit

My understanding is certainly different to yours. My belief is that the chance of catching the virus is relate to exposure to people. Therefore, being near 2 people for 20 minutes results in less chance of catching it than 1 person for 1 hour - surely 2 people for 20 minutes is equivalent to 1 person for 40 minutes? Are you claiming the time spent near someone with the virus is irrelevant?
Aisles aren't wider than 2m anyway so you shouldn't be passing anyone. The average shopping trolley is just over 0.5m and typically aisles are just a tad wider than 3 trolleys. I would actually argue that 2 people standing side-by-side would stop people violating the 2m radius and results in a safer shopping experience.

Don’t confuse viral load with catching the virus. You can catch the virus by instant contact with a infected person or infected surface, if you rub your eyes or touch your mouth. If the amount of people is double what it needs to be in any one day the chance of catching the virus or passing it on is increased greatly. By your logic it would be safer to see 59 people for 1 min than 1 person for 60 mins, which is obviously nonsense. To suggest 2 people will spend 20 mins in the shop, whereas 1 person will spend 1 hour is also fanciful. Hope this helps your understanding and stay safe?

Supermarkets actually employ a lot of disabled people and people with Learning difficulties mate, a family member of mine works for one.

How do you know the person who rigidly  sticking to what they were told hadn’t got learning difficulties?

Stay at home mate,  you don’t take your parents to work with you do you?  

2 hours ago, David said:

You’ve just been given an excuse why you can’t go shopping and you’re complaining, enjoy it before life goes back to normal and you’re getting dragged around the aisles!

I love shopping for food and have done even when I was Married, Always have done it, But today after arriving at my local super store I find there's a one way system with arrows on the floor, Well being the rebel I am, I missed the isles I don't normally go down...Pop and sweets, So I was not following the arrows and going down the wrong way on a one way isle.

Arriving at checkout and over the tannoy the female blurts out, A reminder to all shoppers please keep to the one way system to help our staff and other shoppers, I thought...wait for it, But no, There was no "this means you in the grey stripped polo shirt and black jogging pants" ?

Archived