Coronavirus

1of4

38 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Good point - For the sake of the philosophical question, i'll rephrase it with a few more absolutes

Would you rather

A) come out of lockdown now if it meant the chance of another lockdown in 3 months time

or

B) come out of lockdown in 3 months time if it meant no more lockdowns for covid ever

It's all hypothetical I know, and it's not mandatory to answer. If the idea of the question makes you too furious to even consider answering it then I beg that you step away from the keyboard, do us all a favour and exercise your right to not reply

Would have to be A for me.

An extension of another 3 months would mean we had been in lockdown for 6 months.

I personally think the balance of probability is against us needing to go back into lockdown if we start to open up in March, better treatments, vaccines and the weather should all work in our favour, plus, having felt the effects of this lockdown, I have faith in the large majority of the public to continue to act responsibly.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

......................... I have faith in the large majority of the public to continue to act responsibly.

Unfortunately, it's not the "large majority" that are causing all the problems though.

This and completely half-arsed Gov't organisation - The first day of "Red List" arrivals for mandatory quarantine were all in the same border queue "shoulder to shoulder" as those not deemed "red list"!

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Unfortunately, it's not the "large majority" that are causing all the problems though.

This and completely half-arsed Gov't organisation - The first day of "Red List" arrivals for mandatory quarantine were all in the same border queue "shoulder to shoulder" as those not deemed "red list"!

There in lies the problem, half arsed measures that make no sense and drag on and on , either do it right or not at all , 

also some are better off because of lockdown , some people’s lives are and will be devastated by it , hence some are fine to extend some NEED this to end NOW 

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would have to be A for me.

An extension of another 3 months would mean we had been in lockdown for 6 months.

I personally think the balance of probability is against us needing to go back into lockdown if we start to open up in March, better treatments, vaccines and the weather should all work in our favour, plus, having felt the effects of this lockdown, I have faith in the large majority of the public to continue to act responsibly.

It's a gamble for sure. I'm somewhere in the middle, as I'm sure most people are, but if forced to choose I'd go A too.

Even more so option A if I'd had the vaccine already. I honestly don't think people can take more than 3 months of lockdown at a time.

I think your "better treatments, vaccines and the weather" is a good basis for optimism, but I really don't want the govt to relax and think that is enough. We need to see proper attempts at keeping the case numbers down using test and trace too

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

This sounds like it's based on looking at the more successful strategies of other countries.

The way to come out of lockdown and STAY out of lockdown is to have case numbers low enough that track and trace has a fighting chance of controlling outbreaks. What we've seen coming out of the last lockdown is that within 3 months we were back to the point of locking down again because there were simply too many outbreaks to control

Given that the govt are pledging things like "this will be the final lockdown" and the plan to exit this lockdown will be "irreversible" - it certainly sounds like they don't want to repeat last year's mistake

Whether pressure from the "covid research group" faction of Tory MPs and general public unrest will force the populist goon BJ to waver from that remains to be seen

An open question to the floor - would you rather come out of this lockdown early but have another lockdown in 3 months, or would you rather extend this lockdown to guarantee no more lockdowns

And yes I know it's a simplisitic view, and there are no guarantees either way - I just mean it as a philosophical question (so please no lengthy explanations as to why the question is wrong...)

The question is wrong because you didn’t use a question mark.

Amazing really that this “circuit breaker” lockdown has gone on for 3 months now with at least another 5/6 weeks before any openings up. If this lockdown was as severe as the first then there wouldn’t have been a need for 5 months of lockdown. I’m a decorator and I’m still allowed to go working in peoples houses, sometimes 2 or 3 a week. Completely none essential work In my opinion, but then it’s essential for me to pay the mortgage and feed my kids.

The vulnerable are now protected there’s no need for us to be locked away. 

16 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Amazing really that this “circuit breaker” lockdown has gone on for 3 months now with at least another 5/6 weeks before any openings up. If this lockdown was as severe as the first then there wouldn’t have been a need for 5 months of lockdown. I’m a decorator and I’m still allowed to go working in peoples houses, sometimes 2 or 3 a week. Completely none essential work In my opinion, but then it’s essential for me to pay the mortgage and feed my kids.

The vulnerable are now protected there’s no need for us to be locked away. 

Maybe we just have too many work at homers or retired on here who don’t experience how ludicrous this all is out here in the real world ??‍♂️

41 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’m a decorator and I’m still allowed to go working in peoples houses, sometimes 2 or 3 a week. Completely none essential work In my opinion, but then it’s essential for me to pay the mortgage and feed my kids.

It's funny isn't it? We're having a small extension built at the moment so we have a steady stream of builders, plumbers, roofers etc working on the job. It's also arguably "non-essential" but life carries on. And when I've been to Wickes, it was as busy as ever - especially compared to the first lockdown

I think a lot of people are overstating the liberties being denied them at the moment. All the shops I need are open, and all the jobs I need doing can be done

The pub, the football, the cinema etc so what, these are life's luxuries and things that most people only did occasionally anyway - it's a small sacrifice in the scheme of things.

yet the way some people talk, you'd think they were locked in a dungeon

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think your "better treatments, vaccines and the weather" is a good basis for optimism, but I really don't want the govt to relax and think that is enough. We need to see proper attempts at keeping the case numbers down using test and trace too

Doesnt this go a bit further than the Government?

Its time for everyone to step up and do their part.

I dont like wearing a mask but I do it.

I dont particularly like the Government having access to my phone but I downloaded the Track & Trace app.

I wouldn't particulary want the vaccine but guess I will.

I want to see my family but have resisted temptation.

Until everyone has the same attitude there is always going to be some sort of problem which we cant put all at the Governments door.

50 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's funny isn't it? We're having a small extension built at the moment so we have a steady stream of builders, plumbers, roofers etc working on the job. It's also arguably "non-essential" but life carries on. And when I've been to Wickes, it was as busy as ever - especially compared to the first lockdown

I think a lot of people are overstating the liberties being denied them at the moment. All the shops I need are open, and all the jobs I need doing can be done

The pub, the football, the cinema etc so what, these are life's luxuries and things that most people only did occasionally anyway - it's a small sacrifice in the scheme of things.

Ah so all good for you ??? ,,I Can see why your happy for lockdown to stay as long as you feel it’s needed 

Out of interest did you start the extension before March last year ,if not must be a fair old size

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ah so all good for you ??? ,,I Can see why your happy for lockdown to stay as long as you feel it’s needed 

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes you laugh isnt it?

I'm not going to have a go at @Stive Pesleybecause I'm sure he is sensible enough not to be doing anything stupid. 

But the fact of the matter is that he is knowingly doing something that could potentially lead to the virus spreading, will hide behind the 'its within the rules' but then lambast other people and call them Covidiots etc

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not going to have a go at @Stive Pesleybecause I'm sure he is sensible enough not to be doing anything stupid. 

But the fact of the matter is that he is knowingly doing something that could potentially lead to the virus spreading, will hide behind the 'its within the rules' but then lambast other people and call them Covidiots etc

Yep the whole post is stunningly lacking in self awareness and beyond comprehension on how it’s possible to label those against lockdown as selfish ?????

I’m not entirely sure you got the jist of my post lol 

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you not having a go at him, but you are having a go at him ?

14 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’m not entirely sure you got the jist of my post lol 

Yep 

stive has already stated he is working from home so all good financially 

now he is having builders , roofers ect round building an extension 

he finds wickets quite busy 

and can’t see what people are moaning about 

why would you be in an hurry to end lockdown unless you were just selfish?

just wow 

Just now, BIllyD said:

Is it really that wrong to turn around and give it back to those that slate others ? 
there is a level of selfishness in some covid rule breakers no doubt , but by god there is a level of selfishness in the people at the other end of the extreme which I find stunning that they can’t see in themselves 

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Not having a go about him having people around his house doing an extension, which clearly does not constitute essential work, but one would hope maximum precautions are in place.

Not really having a go at the fact that he would wade in and call others Covidiots at the drop of a hat either, just pointing out the hypocrisy of doing so, as I have to on numerous occasions.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I guess its ok if all those in employ there are on furlough but no doubt lots wont be due to closure..i noticed the bulls head in denby is now up for let so no doubt all those employees in JSA. Showcase cinema in Derby closed so them too.

Sure that will be replicated up and down the country no end.

I dont want us to rush opening everything up by any stretch but i do feel for those out of work because of whats happening.

Our luxuries are others peoples bread and butter.

Archived