Coronavirus

1of4

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Known treatments, better knowledge for medical professionals for general treatments, the cases now are significantly in Young people (although granted they probably always were!), social distancing, significantly more testing available (accuracy a big IF). The fact that we’re now catching a significant amount of cases (circa half as an estimate compares to circa 5% back in April). Plus the actual hospitalisation curve against cases right now is nowhere near reflecting what it was like back in March and April.

A lot of those sound more like theories than actual evidence.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TexasRam said:

God your boring 

Surely you can understand that if deaths spike up again, it will be following a rise in infections. You must have some understanding of leading and lagging indicators right?

Surely you can make the leap in imagination to think that we might be in the same place as February now, just this time we are testing 1000s of people and seeing a rise in infections.

If you were standing on a beach and were told to evacuate due to a huge earthquake out in the ocean, would you refuse to move as you couldn't see any large wave at that moment?

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Surely you can understand that if deaths spike up again, it will be following a rise in infections. You must have some understanding of leading and lagging indicators right?

Surely you can make the leap in imagination to think that we might be in the same place as February now, just this time we are testing 1000s of people and seeing a rise in infections.

If you were standing on a beach and were told to evacuate due to a huge earthquake out in the ocean, would you refuse to move as you couldn't see any large wave at that moment?

You are assuming we will see the same impact as spring, you are assuming that the rise in positive tests will lead to mass deaths. You also assumed that the mass gatherings in the summer (on the beaches, the protests, the street parties would etc etc) would lead to more cases and deaths, they didn’t. 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

You are assuming we will see the same impact as spring, you are assuming that the rise in positive tests will lead to mass deaths. You also assumed that the mass gatherings in the summer (on the beaches, the protests, the street parties would etc etc) would lead to more cases and deaths, they didn’t. 

I'm not assuming anything, which is why I used words such as "if" and "maybe". Not sure why you made up my opinions on protests, street parties etc?

I don't know what may happen, but there is clearly a chance we may experience a large amounts of deaths again.

The people who are dealing in absolutes tend to be the people preaching the same opinions as you, often claiming to be backed up by statistics, which are usually one chart interpreted in one certain way.

As a people/nation/western europe & US, we seem to have lost the ability to reason and see both sides of a debate, or to reach any nuanced conclusion.  Not sure how we get out of this mess really, both Covid and the absence of critical thinking. Useless generation, dumb flag scum.

5 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Do we want to lockdown again to save a few hundred lives or do we risk thousands of more jobs, leading to more potential deaths than COVID due to the effects of unemployment and mental health. 

I would personally go with the latter option. 

You are forgetting long-term health implications of covid. It may or may not make current death toll seem puny and what about long term implications for sufferes, early death etc.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Bit of Manic Street Preachers in there at the end for you. It was certainly the main point I was making, nicely picked up on.

Love a bit of lyrical quoting in a post, bravo sir

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A group of 7 or 8  in their late teens on a train... all without masks on. 2 lads in their early 30’s are sharing a can of tramp’s piss as they think it gets them out of wearing a mask as well. 

Edit: they just finished their can. One still chose not to wear a mask, the other opted to use his to keep his chin warm. 

Return journey. 3 young girls hop on the train, walk past me with one Of them calling me an idiot for wearing a mask ?‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Return journey. 3 young girls hop on the train, walk past me with one Of them calling me an idiot for wearing a mask ?‍♂️

Had a day out in skeggy yesterday. Far too many people not thinking about space. Maybe saw 10 or 15 people in the amusements not wearing face coverings. 

I think I see why the virus is growing in numbers again. 

Got my youngest's test result back late Friday night (from a Monday test) - negative, so he can go back to school and we can stop isolating

No one mentioned the Bolton super-spreader? Came back from holiday but felt fine  so didn't isolate - instead went on a massive weekend long pub crawl and infected dozens of people.  Didn't get symptoms till a few days later and then tested positive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54205353

Not sure how that fits with the hand-wringers blaming people who don't have symptoms supposedly flooding the test system?

More testing is the answer - and the only back to any kind of normality for a while

And to answer the question about who we know that has had Covid - my boss and his son  had it (not hospitalised but bed-ridden and said it was horrible). Another co-worker, (a young lad) in that office had it and said it was not that bad. A friend who lives in London had it - also not hospitalised but bed-ridden and in a bad way. Another co-worker in my office lost his mum to it. She came back from Spain and was hospitalised, died a week later. One of the parents in my youngest's class also lost their Dad to it - he was recovering from a routine operation and caught it in hospital.

Maybe explains why I have very little time for people who try and play it down

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Got my youngest's test result back late Friday night (from a Monday test) - negative, so he can go back to school and we can stop isolating

No one mentioned the Bolton super-spreader? Came back from holiday but felt fine  so didn't isolate - instead went on a massive weekend long pub crawl and infected dozens of people.  Didn't get symptoms till a few days later and then tested positive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54205353

Not sure how that fits with the hand-wringers blaming people who don't have symptoms supposedly flooding the test system?

More testing is the answer - and the only back to any kind of normality for a while

And to answer the question about who we know that has had Covid - my boss and his son  had it (not hospitalised but bed-ridden and said it was horrible). Another co-worker, (a young lad) in that office had it and said it was not that bad. A friend who lives in London had it - also not hospitalised but bed-ridden and in a bad way. Another co-worker in my office lost his mum to it. She came back from Spain and was hospitalised, died a week later. One of the parents in my youngest's class also lost their Dad to it - he was recovering from a routine operation and caught it in hospital.

Maybe explains why I have very little time for people who try and play it down

I think the government site says the rest of the household has to all isolate for 14 days from the first sign of symptoms, regardless of the test results. 10 days for the person with symptoms.

Good news your kid is fine though.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Me neither. I need to learn to turn my phone off after I've been drinking.

Still shouldnt be an excuse for other people being allowed to post nonsense political posts ?

Lol...although I just posted an official parliamentary report that blamed the government for moving hospital patients to care homes! Nonsense!

Some graphs that illustrate the increase in hospital admissions on the back of the rise in cases.

Over the last two weeks people being admitted to hospital has increased by 146%. Although relatively small numbers compared to earlier in the year, the pace of increase is very concerning.

Hopefully people will recognise this and try to be considerate of respecting others who may be more vulnerable than themselves. 

20200921_074043.jpg

20200921_074053.jpg

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

Some graphs that illustrate the increase in hospital admissions on the back of the rise in cases.

Over the last two weeks people being admitted to hospital has increased by 146%. Although relatively small numbers compared to earlier in the year, the pace of increase is very concerning.

Hopefully people will recognise this and try to be considerate of respecting others who may be more vulnerable than themselves. 

20200921_074043.jpg

20200921_074053.jpg

Miserable figures, but would hope its not inevitable that we have to close up...

7 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Miserable figures, but would hope its not inevitable that we have to close up...

I don't think it is inevitable if people start behaving a little more responsibly and just be careful.

However, a sizeable fraction of people are making life more difficult than it needs to be for the rest of us.

Archived