Best attractions in Ilkeston for tourism!

Mostyn6

TripAdvisor has suspended reviews for a hole in a wall outside a bank after online jokers turned it into an unlikely tourist attraction.

Spoof glowing write-ups of the circular architecture, at NatWest in Ilkeston, led to it being ranked as the fourth best attraction in the Derbyshire town.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-51611555

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This made me chuckle but my nomination for the most naff actual tourist attraction would have to be the Platform 9 3/4 sign at Kings Cross station.

Every time I go there, I marvel at the line of tourists who've clearly got nothing better to do than queue to have a photo taken in front of a sign that's placed on a random bit of wall.

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Used to go to the new Ilkeston swimming pool for a while in the early 1970's just after it opened  (1972 i think). This was before Ripley and then Belper got new sports centres.

Does it still exist or has it been pulled down to make way for a Morrisons or something?

I remember having swimming lessons at Ilkeston pool this side of the millenium. It hadn't aged particularly well and last I checked (a couple of years ago) it had been closed for refurbishment - something about asbestos in the roof if I remember correctly.

16 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

This made me chuckle but my nomination for the most naff actual tourist attraction would have to be the Platform 9 3/4 sign at Kings Cross station.

Every time I go there, I marvel at the line of tourists who've clearly got nothing better to do than queue to have a photo taken in front of a sign that's placed on a random bit of wall.

If you watch long enough you'll see a kid smash their face running into it. 10/10 attraction. 

Archived