DAVE WATSON

GB SPORTS

Just a thought for Dave Watson, who has been diagnosed with dementia, allegedly through heading the ball.

Dave is  a gentle giant and very kind man and a very underrated footballer (I think he holds the record for having most England caps without ever playing in the world cup finals.)

Although he was a Ram only for the one season in the twilight of his career. You could see the professional class of the man.

Dave good luck in your battle from this Ram.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame it really is I remember he was at the end of his career and always thought his legs looked like tree trunks lol.....but was decent for us and an honest pro.......

Having listened to a lot of debates regarding dementia being linked to heading a ball I am not entirely convinced that there is sufficient evidence to say that heading a ball was the reason for dementia.

I know two people very well who had dementia and none of them ever played football or any sport for that matter as far as I can remember so to say its due to football is not proven at this stage as far as the experts say.

Also the footballs are much lighter than the old style leather footballs with the lace hanging out sodden with water weighing a ton.....but that aside....its a great shame and I wish him all the best during a tough time for him and his family....

11 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

Sorry to hear this, I'll aways remember this effort against his old club.

love watching old clips from the BBG......John Robertson and Kenny Burns!!  both ex gumps....pity Burns has turned into a fat big mouthed disrespectful  idiot as I always liked him when he was playing for us

Bobby Davison was great and Archie G was fantastic although also in the twighlight of his career....quite an oldish side really 

15 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

Sorry to hear this, I'll aways remember this effort against his old club.

Besides Buckley and Davison not much worth remembering in that Derby side. Up until watching that clip I'd forgotten that Steve Devine wasn't actually an overweight transvestite wannabee pop star.

Sorry to hear about Dave, have to say he was pretty bang average when with us but before that he had a great career and was a truly solid footballer - in every sense of the word.

18 minutes ago, S8TY said:

love watching old clips from the BBG......John Robertson and Kenny Burns!!  both ex gumps....pity Burns has turned into a fat big mouthed idiot as I always liked him when he was playing for us

Bobby Davison was great and Archie G was fantastic although also in the twighlight of his career....quite an oldish side really 

There was a quote in a national paper from around that time in a match report that said..." you could almost hear the bones creaking in the Derby side " ?

1 hour ago, philmycocu said:

Best kit ever that Patrick one, would look immense in black & white, gold away kit perfect! Fences seem alien now don't they!

Agree loved the patrick kit one of my faves and yet i never quite took to the centenary kit ( patrick again i think )

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Good find, not seen that footage before.......those fences?

There was just something so very special about the BBG which I will take to the grave with me......It was a proper football theatre and getting crushed in the popside trying to get in amongst the big boys who were singing there heads off was and will always be a special memory....I don't know why it sticks in my head so much but when we were on a downward spiral at the time i remember us duffing Florest out of the FA Cup with Gemmill and i think Andy Hill scoring to win 2-0 and the popside was a heaving swaying jumping mass of bodies and i was right in there lol....great stuff ?

Sad news.

I was settling down with a family during his spell at Derby, so don't even recall whether I saw him live in a Rams shirt, (as my attendances were somewhat limited during the '80's) but certainly remember him turning out for his country, and all recollections... as limited as they are... are of a positive persuasion.

Very best wishes, sir.

53 minutes ago, superzak said:

Saw my first Derby game in 70\71 season so i had a good 25 years at the BBG. P.P is alright i just dont get that hair standing on the back of yer neck feeling i used to get at the BBG.

On a serious note... or maybe just a personal note?... I do sometimes wonder, is it the setting that sets those hairs standing up, or is it simply age/longevity/experience.

I think it's safe to say that, whilst I still enjoy attending the match, the excitement "isn't what it used to be"... although I could also apply that to other aspects of life too!    

I worked a little with the journalists in America who exposed the concussion scandal in American football. Since then I've maintained heading in our football will be banned everywhere by about 2030. The ruling bodies won't be able to risk the potential mass litigation claims if they don't act in the face of medical evidence.

My memories of Dave Watson at Derby are listening to the radio after one of Peter Taylor's more bizarre decisions, switching the big guy to centre forward (I think taking Bobby Davison off to make the ridiculous change). "And Dave Watson is a giraffe" screamed an outraged Graham Richards.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I worked a little with the journalists in America who exposed the concussion scandal in American football. Since then I've maintained heading in our football will be banned everywhere by about 2030. The ruling bodies won't be able to risk the potential mass litigation claims if they don't act in the face of medical evidence.

My memories of Dave Watson at Derby are listening to the radio after one of Peter Taylor's more bizarre decisions, switching the big guy to centre forward (I think taking Bobby Davison off to make the ridiculous change). "And Dave Watson is a giraffe" screamed an outraged Graham Richards.

He played "upfront" a few times after substitutions "that"season.

Archived