Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's said he wants Martin to stay.

As for who is first choice, well he isn't this season but so what.

I know he has. But my point is that if Martin is expecting starter wages and that’s not Cocu’s plan then he ain’t going to accept is he?

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

I know he has. But my point is that if Martin is expecting starter wages and that’s not Cocu’s plan then he ain’t going to accept is he?

Why would he expect 'starter wages' when he's not been, as you put it, first choice (I presume that's what you mean by 'starter')?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why would he expect 'starter wages' when he's not been, as you put it, first choice (I presume that's what you mean by 'starter')?

Because he will be on more money now, and if we are asking him to drop down to what we consider a back up level of salary, that could be too much for him. You see, Cocu, shockingly, didn’t pick his current wage. 

Your Martin bias is clouding a very simple concept here. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's said he wants Martin to stay.

As for who is first choice, well he isn't this season but so what.

Yep but the question is how much does he want him to stay ? He wanted huddlestone to stay too but maybe we are seeing the beginning s of more realistic wages being the order of the day? 
all I know is we certainly have paid out a big poo load of wages to players who weren’t able to gain a starting 11 spot let alone a regular starting 11 spot ,,, no reflection on Martin or Hudds but it’s an issue the club desperately needed to get in order

1 hour ago, Archied said:

all I know is we certainly have paid out a big poo load of wages to players who weren’t able to gain a starting 11 spot let alone a regular starting 11 spot ,,, no reflection on Martin or Hudds but it’s an issue the club desperately needed to get in order

I agree, but there's a difference between paying big wages for Anya and paying for Hudds. We've struggled to get it right. I don't know how much, but I would imagine in Martin's case/stage of career it more likely comes down to how many years. Fozzy got two.

The problem will be the wage/contract length. I’d imagine Martin would have already signed up if we offered him close to what he’s on now or his initial demand.

We have our budget for his wages which I suspect are way below what he wants and he’ll have his min expectations.

This has rumbled on for a while so there’s clearly a fair gap between the two......same goes for Hudds.

The next couple of years are going to be a wake up call for many footballers outside the Prem. Wage budgets are being slashed and squads are being streamlined.

Where this will leave Martin is up to him, he can walk away and try his luck elsewhere but I can’t see him getting as good a wage given the current financial climate, the situation with his health and the fact that he’s not an in demand player.

I hope he stays but good luck to him if he goes, I fear he may need it.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree, but there's a difference between paying big wages for Anya and paying for Hudds. We've struggled to get it right. I don't know how much, but I would imagine in Martin's case/stage of career it more likely comes down to how many years. Fozzy got two.

Whether it be Anya/ hudds or a matter of years offered/ wanted it still comes down to the same principle, cocu will have a budget to work to and although he may like to keep Martin the question is how much does he want to keep him versus the impact on his budget , in our fanbase we range from Martin being vital to keep to those that want him moved on no matter what ,

my guess is cocu falls somewhere in the middle of that range ( as I do) so won’t please all no matter how it pans out 

Did anybody notice Chris's demeanour and body language against Leeds? He was even pretty po-faced after scoring against the Dirties. Does this suggest that he feels he is at the end of the road at Derby? 

An added observation is that his 12 goals have come in 37 games, so even at the age of 32, and even though he has pnly been a bit-part player for us this season, he is still achieving a scoring rate of 1 in 3, which is a figure you expect from the top, top strikers.

Just saying.

55 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Did anybody notice Chris's demeanour and body language against Leeds? He was even pretty po-faced after scoring against the Dirties. Does this suggest that he feels he is at the end of the road at Derby? 

Yeah, there's bits on other threads. Another poster said but see how annoyed he was when he messed up that shot near the end of the game. It was an odd game with nowt really to play for, but...

And yes his stats are still right up their and his skills are a joy to watch. That pass to Sibley ? and the other stuff.

On 14/07/2020 at 22:02, RoyMac5 said:

Dear me, and with Marriott or Waghorn it will be different? Oh btw the never score a lot of goals is very funny. #TwitterTroll

Twitter troll? We wont/dont score with him up top. I've seen more movement in a tramps vest. Waste of resources if he stays. 

Archived