The Politics Thread 2020

The Raab thing is an interesting question , if you don’t like or feel comfortable with the take the knee gesture will you be labelled racist if you don’t do it or express that it’s something you don’t feel is right for you

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Archied said:

The Raab thing is an interesting question , if you don’t like or feel comfortable with the take the knee gesture will you be labelled racist if you don’t do it or express that it’s something you don’t feel is right for you

It’s personal choice, he chooses not too. 

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

The literal rules set by FIFA was that political statements by players and sponsored should absolutely be avoided. By fining them if necessary. (http://www.sportslawscotland.co.uk/2016/11/fifa-uefas-position-on-football.html#.XutjLfIo-L8)

But in this case, they bent over backwards to appease the movement. Why?

They're just as scared of the outrage mob as any big company.

It's only a couple of years since FIFA fined our FA for putting (non-political) poppies on England shirts - now the FA (via the PL) are encouraging political slogans on the back of shirts in the PL. Seems the rules are there for when it suits - or when there's not a popular band-wagon to jump on.....

A bit left field but it made me chuckle. Article in the Times about the book written by John Bolton former national security advisor to the Orange buffoon which tells a story about the  meeting between Trump and Kim in Singapore. Allegedly, Trump had this idea to get a signed copy of Elton John Rocket Man CD to give to Kin Jung-Un as a present. ?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Not a political point - but if we ever get the long awaited gigantic solar storm and all electronics get fried, we could already be living through a dark age

Everything is online until it isn't anymore

You do get warnings (2 or 3 days) of solar storms, so all you have to do is apply the standard help-centre advice - switch it off, switch it back on again (but leaving it switched off for 2 or 3 days).

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

You'll never find me doing it. It's called 'arthritis'.

As Chris Grayling been put in charge of the government's procurement of PPE.

Why have the government given a contract to supply PPE, to a pest control company. A contract that is worth over one hundred million pounds. A company that has assets of less than twenty thousand pounds.

Is this just another case of gross incompetence by a government minister. Or is it more serious and is a blatant case of corruption within the government.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Word is government done a u turn on world beating track and trace app and are going to go with google one ,,,, you couldn’t make this stuff up ,could have been in place months ago and coupled with testing saved very very many lives ,

this lot are a proper bunch of cowboys if the consequence s of all these rickets weren’t so serious it would be funny to watch them blundering around boris and Dom are the new clouseau and kato 

You have your facts wrong 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/5/21248288/uk-covid-19-contact-tracing-app-bluetooth-restrictions-apple-google

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Cool - Might as well take the ones down of slavers and replace them with something else then right? Since it's not changing the aesthetic 

Unfortunately that's just your opinion that aesthetically you like old things rather than new ones

There are old buildings which are nice and old buildings which are an eyesore - There are new buildings in both category too

Would you have kept us in the Baseball Ground just because it's old? The sheer volume of history we had there was amazing and we're certainly nowhere near those heights in PP - But the truth is that we outgrew the BBG - When they built it they had no idea of the increased crowds and the need for safer stadiums which led to the changes made - Would you say we should be allowed 40,000+ people in the BBG because when pre-Hillsborough that was considered acceptable and we should apply the standards when the ground was built? I don't think you would

History should be remembered and catalogued and recorded and (most importantly) broadcast to as many people as possible - But it shouldn't be a one-sided history - And when things in our modern society are deemed not relevant they should be replaced

The BBG had not use anymore. It had served it's purpose and as lovely as it would be to leave it standing as a tourist attraction it would make no sense.

It's just my opinion but I think a lot of people feel strongly about history they just have to think about which bit inspires them. Maybe for you it's nothing, maybe for the next fella it's Brian Clough's statue that is inspirational and instills pride. 

Agree on your last paragraph.

6 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

You have your facts right, but a month out of date.

Now @Archied has his facts right.

No he still has his facts wrong because the Government backed both horses. Ie   Google/apple and the trialed government app. 

Strikes me people on here love point scoring .

https://www.politico.eu/article/google-apple-coronavirus-app-privacy-uk-france-germany/

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

No he still has his facts wrong because the Government backed both horses. Ie   Google/apple and the trialed government app. 

They do indeed.

When he talked about backing both horses, he meant the app and the track and trace teams that currently exist, not both apps.

Dress it up however you like, the Gov developed app doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

They do indeed.

When he talked about backing both horses, he meant the app and the track and trace teams that currently exist, not both apps.

Dress it up however you like, the Gov developed app doesn't work.

https://www.politico.eu/article/google-apple-coronavirus-app-privacy-uk-france-germany/

You really aren’t very technologically aware are you mate. 

PS Politicians are also often not very technologically aware either 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Did you read the article? It doesn't say anything like that. The UK went alone and built an app that doesn't work and eventually abandoned it. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Yes and I agree with your first paragraph but thought the second was a little unnecessary and, dare I say, a bit silly. 

One month ago, they were describing the track and trace app as a 'game-changer'. Today, they described it as 'never a priority'. They really are a perfect example of a government who don't appear to have a single clue about anything.

Archived