The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You’re trying to compare not being able to read English and faking documentation with speaking a foreign language in residential buildings. 

Isnt just the general point though.

Why would you want to go and live somewhere and not embrace the culture?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You’re trying to compare not being able to read English and faking documentation with speaking a foreign language in residential buildings. 

I'm not trying...I have.

Just to add, The Poster in the block of flats appears to be well written, Not worded but written, My guess, And it is only a guess mind, That this was done by some left wing Liberal that has taken Brexit to heart and Printed this letter out to make it look like some far right, Nuckle dragging, Shaven headed British First member.

Just a thought....TTFN

11 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

I'm not trying...I have.

Just to add, The Poster in the block of flats appears to be well written, Not worded but written, My guess, And it is only a guess mind, That this was done by some left wing Liberal that has taken Brexit to heart and Printed this letter out to make it look like some far right, Nuckle dragging, Shaven headed British First member.

Just a thought....TTFN

So well-written that they omitted the apostrophe from 'Queen's English'.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When my girlfriend is talking to friends and family she tends to speak in their common mother tongue... that doesn’t mean she/they aren’t embracing the British culture and incapable of speaking English at other times. 
Why do you feel the requirement to know what other people are talking about? How is it causing any harm to you?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When my girlfriend is talking to friends and family she tends to speak in their common mother tongue... that doesn’t mean she/they aren’t embracing the British culture and incapable of speaking English at other times. 
Why do you feel the requirement to know what other people are talking about? How is it causing any harm to you?

It's not causing me any harm in the slightest. Just find it disrespectful.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

All sorts of reasons - if the economic, politcal or security situation in your destination is better, embracing the culture may be low down your list.

I lived in the Czech Republic for over a decade. Whenever I was with English speaking colleagues or friends, we spoke English. It is the natural state of affairs to speak your native language with other native speakers. Nobody every felt the need to threaten us in our own homes or to give us a separate hut. And Czech culture wasn't under threat because of all us foreigners.

19 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

I'm not trying...I have.

Just a thought....TTFN

WTF is your argument here?

A racistly worded poster compared to eating fish and chips. Then compared it to people who can’t read English and faking documentation. Now you’re claiming a left winger wrote it to make the right look bad! ?

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

All sorts of reasons - if the economic, politcal or security situation in your destination is better, embracing the culture may be low down your list.

I lived in the Czech Republic for over a decade. Whenever I was with English speaking colleagues or friends, we spoke English. It is the natural state of affairs to speak your native language with other native speakers. Nobody every felt the need to threaten us in our own homes or to give us a separate hut. And Czech culture wasn't under threat because of all us foreigners.

Who has been threatened in their own home?

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A racistly worded poster compared to eating fish and chips. Then compared it to people who can’t read English and faking documentation. Now you’re claiming a left winger wrote it to make the right look bad! ?

He's comparing it to the immigrants who beat themselves up at National Front marches.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You don't think that letter posted on doors in a residential block is threatening?

You don't think people might be intimidated by it?

One poster on a door by one brain dead moron.

No I imagine they will have just ripped it down and carried on as normal.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's no argument from me, This is a Politics thread, I have added to it...the clown emoji is a nice though, Nothing like a little insult to get something off your chest.

PS...I never claimed it was a Left Winger.....I guessed, A little different dont you think.

TTFN

8 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

He's comparing it to the immigrants who beat themselves up at National Front marches.

Am I, Some one who's trying to add a little spice to create a format for a racial Diatribe...move on youth, Nothing to see here.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If the best people can do to try and link Brexit to racism is find one poster on a door in  Norwich then to me it seems like they are barking up the wrong tree.

For me the letter illustrate the kind of behaviour that has been emboldened by the current political climate. As someone who works with people whose first language is not English, I have anecdotal evidence that backs this up. I can tell you ‘one poster on a door in Norwich’ is not an isolated incident. 

That you don’t think residents of that block might be threatened doesn’t seem very empathetic. Would you or your family really dismiss it so casually or even assume it was a one-off if you were in the same situation? What do you think the intention of the writer(s) is?

Archived