The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

41 minutes ago, Archied said:

On the statue thing , vandalism stuff , isn’t it interesting how fast the person urinating next to a memorial was identified, found ,named in the media and jailed yet no such speed regards the vandalism of statues ? 

I understand he handed himself in.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
48 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Shouldn’t this be in another thread lol. 

Sod that, I've moaned about politics being talked about in other threads so I'm getting my own back and talking about football in the politics thread. 

1-3 Derby. FRGS Lawrence 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Whether statues are or aren't actually removed is not for me to decide - I just don't see the point in them and think we might as well remove them all

There's a statue of Colston because he did a lot of good things with his money - However the reason he had that money was because he made a decent amount of it through slavery

Essentially he did nice things for white, British people by exploiting Black Africans - I'm not sure that's something to be celebrated - Would we build a statue to someone who funded cancer research by trading in blood diamonds? Does the end justify the means?

That's the whole thing about history

Paedophiles, rapists, murderers etc etc. 

You can't judge people of the past by the times of today. Would you put up a statue of Colston today? No. 

Slavery in Africa existed internally. African slavers sold slaves to the Europeans. Slaves would be brought to the coast by African slave traders. In that world and all the many years before it slavery was as normal to society as walking dogs on leads is to me and you. 

Colston used this to do great charity work. In the eyes of the people the means were justified. 

And history is full of these people.

That has to be considered when debating the rights and wrongs. When trying to understand his or anyone else's legacy. Was he a villain of his time. I'm not sure to be honest because all I know about him is on wikipedia. 

But holding these modern day microscopes over centuries old "heroes" is going to turn them all into racist, homophobic, xenophobic, psychotic, sexist rapists. Well, not all. But most won't stand up too well against the new rules for being good

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

20200616_163301.jpg

She really is a deplorable human being. She does and says these things because she makes a living from it...

My understanding, though I might be wrong, is it is not all kids, its those that have needed help and assistance during the crisis. She really needs to wind her neck in.

Latest post...

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

She really is a deplorable human being. She does and says these things because she makes a living from it...

My understanding, though I might be wrong, is it is not all kids, its those that have needed help and assistance during the crisis. She really needs to wind her neck in.

Latest post...

If we talk about the amazing work of Marcus Rashford, to help unite, rather than Katie Hopkins, that helps us divide, then she will be forced to wind her neck in.

—————

This isn’t directed at you mate but it’ll be interesting to say whether praising a young black manis a bit of stretch for a few in this thread considering we don’t have a problem with race? Been quiet on the matter for a few days now...

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I don't understand your point...

Statues celebrate only a single part (the good part) of a persons achievement - Books have the ability to list out their flaws too and give more detail 

And yes, I do believe that some people don't know the flaws that many humans have - I'm not going to call them stupid, merely uninformed

For instance until recently I wasn't aware of Gandi's opinions on Africa and Einstein's on the Chinese

Yeh

What use or value does a statue actually add to the world? Nothing - Half the time people don't even know who the statue even is - Before this happened (for example) could you name the people who have statues in parliament square and why their statues are there?

If you want a celebration of someone's achievement why not have a plaque or a permanent poster with information about the person, what they did, how important they were to society but also the controversial stuff they were into 

Or alternatively consider that in a historical time, historical people decided they would like a statue. Times change people change and subsequent generations LEARN about those differing attitudes because the statue invites inquiry. We will raise our statues and their legacy will be examined by future generations. 

I’d give you the statue at Old Trafford .. there is George Best ... sublime footballer, alcoholic womaniser ... history, it’s interesting, poignant, sad, outrageous, spectacular, grim but it’s History. 

49 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Latest post...

She doesn't believe what she says. Just for attention. 

It's like me or you saying it's ridiculous that you can change your gender. Or saying you wish Hitler would have won then Palestine would be fine. Sit back and watch the rage while smugly thinking, yep. I'm now a headline. 

Imagine being that desperate to be noticed

25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If we talk about the amazing work of Marcus Rashford, to help unite, rather than Katie Hopkins, that helps us divide, then she will be forced to wind her neck in.

—————

This isn’t directed at you mate but it’ll be interesting to say whether praising a young black manis a bit of stretch for a few in this thread considering we don’t have a problem with race? Been quiet on the matter for a few days now...

I'm not sure who you mean. 

But Katy Hopkins is nothing. She doesn't give her opinions she just tries to be controversial. 

Rashford however has gone out his way to help out people who didn't ask him for help by doing something that doesn't hurt Katy Hopkins or anyone else. I'm sure he's being applauded across the internet?

18 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well hell should statues be romoved there part of our histroy just be because black lives matter dont like them.

I don't actually think their message has anything to do with statues etc. 

That's not BLM. That's people that are lashing out and helping create a bigger divide. Which the media and the politicians are using to their benefit

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

She doesn't believe what she says. Just for attention. 

It's like me or you saying it's ridiculous that you can change your gender. Or saying you wish Hitler would have won then Palestine would be fine. Sit back and watch the rage while smugly thinking, yep. I'm now a headline. 

Imagine being that desperate to be noticed

Even worse than that - it's her job. Imagine if it were your actual job to think of deplorable, divisive things to say, knowing that your paycheck depends on people arguing about your fake opinions

Sith Happens
46 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

—————

Absolutely, top man, thing is,  the colour of his skin never entered my head. I'd feel the same if it was him, lingard, harry kane, Joey Barton,  ok not Joey Barton he can duck off.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

—————

Talks about focussing on the amazing work of Marcus Rashford and the need to unite - then goes on to insinuate racism for anyone that doesn't comment ?

I stopped commenting in this thread precisely because of comments like this.  WTF does it matter what colour his skin is?  He has just helped secure free school meals for deprived kids over the summer - top bloke ?

Don't tow the PC narrative?  Question motives behind BLM?  Dare to suggest that there maybe additional factors at play, such as poverty or culture rather than simply institutional racism?  I cba with the not-so-subtle accusations anymore.

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Even worse than that - it's her job. Imagine if it were your actual job to think of deplorable, divisive things to say, knowing that your paycheck depends on people arguing about your fake opinions

Horrible job. Go around upsetting people and then receive a load of abuse. 

Rather be on minimum wage in a dead end job. 

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

A square is a rectangle but not all rectangles are squares...

A sculpture can be art but just because something is a statue doesn't mean it's art

As usual .. avoid the challenge. Limp 

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I was joking, but as for your second point - they have been lobbying the council for years by all accounts

And because there lobby wasn’t successful they took it down anyway .. yeah .. great. Mob enforcing their will on others. Where’s the vote? Where’s the debate ... no we think it should be this way so it will be be and by aggressive means. Lovely 

Archived