The Politics Thread 2020

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

"We are all in it together"

"The Big Society"

"Why not give it to the NHS"

Winning slogans that were all untrue.

But the Team behind these slogans keeps winning. Team B needs to sort itself out quickly.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

For the many not the few!

Should have worked but I'm not sure the majority of people feel they are part of the downtrodden masses these days.

They should have shot the messenger.

19 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Should have worked but I'm not sure the majority of people feel they are part of the downtrodden masses these days.

Quite right. As one of the millions of middle income families, I don't really know if I was one of the many or the few.

23 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

It was a typo.

It was meant to be "For the many, not the Jew".

Hmmm ?

Whatever our feelings about the press, I'm not sure that gagging them is s terribly sensible course of action. The Government seemed quite happy with the same press labelling Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser and worse, yet when the very same microscope is turned on their own ranks, we are told they are not to be trusted.

A free and unfettered press lies at the heart of any democracy so this latest development does give significant cause for concern.

3 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

I am sure I saw WHO advise at the end of February saying that travel restrictions were not advisable.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak/

What advice should we listen to?

Scotland is different because the outbreak was at different stages throughout the UK with London starting first. Scotland had a lot more notice.

Maybe so but the reality is Vietnam, Australia & NZ all closed their borders very quickly and have now largely eliminated the virus in their countries

Whilst the WHO are entitled to an opinion, Governments are elected to manage risk which will be particular to their individual countries & culture(s) - ergo I don't believe a sweeping global recommendation to not restrict travel should be followed blindly.

My reference to Scotland was more based on the transparent nature of the SNP-led press briefings, not so much the total number of deaths per se. That said, as per previous posts the UK Government had plenty of notice from China & Northern Italy to realise the potential severity of an outbreak.

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Hmmm ?

Whatever our feelings about the press, I'm not sure that gagging them is s terribly sensible course of action. The Government seemed quite happy with the same press labelling Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser and worse, yet when the very same microscope is turned on their own ranks, we are told they are not to be trusted.

A free and unfettered press lies at the heart of any democracy so this latest development does give significant cause for concern.

Are they trying to gag the press?. Sounds a little dramatic when the statement that the public is losing confidence in the media is probably true anyway.

3 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Are they trying to gag the press?. Sounds a little dramatic when the statement that the public is losing confidence in the media is probably true anyway.

But what would the editor of the Spectator know?

19 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Hmmm ?

Corbyn was a terrorist sympathiser more worryingly Labour party activists voted him as their leader. 

28 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The Government seemed quite happy with the same press labelling Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser and worse, yet when the very same microscope is turned on their own ranks, we are told they are not to be trusted.

Murdoch is probably tired of Johnson already and has ordered them to find somebody else.

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

Corbyn was a terrorist sympathiser more worryingly Labour party activists voted him as their leader. 

Not this junk again. Do I need to go get the photos of Her Maj shaking hands with said terrorists again?

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

For an effective government in our tradition of Power and Opposition, you don't need two in the same space. 

However for years the British people have demonstrated at the ballot box that they do not like (or mistrust) extreme policies, thus if a Party wants power they have to attract the centre based voter (whether they, the party, actually believe the manifesto or not).

Hence the rush to the centre!

Ironically for years ( 60's to 90's) US politics was pretty much centre based and only minor policy differences distinguished the parties, basically it was biggest budget won! 

Isn't this what happens in the UK - the Party with the biggest budget wins?

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

But what would the editor of the Spectator know?

That's Fraser Nelson or am I missing something?.

Labour supporting paper commissions poll criticising Tory government. Shock.

34 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Maybe so but the reality is Vietnam, Australia & NZ all closed their borders very quickly and have now largely eliminated the virus in their countries

Indeed, those still trying to defend our government's decision-making are starting to sound pretty pathetic. When there are countries who took good decisions that have been really effective. We took a lot of really bad decisions. A whole series of them.

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not this junk again. Do I need to go get the photos of Her Maj shaking hands with said terrorists again?

Feel free, anytime, but please make sure its just before an election guaranteed to lose votes for the Labour Party every time.

22 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Dramatic? Really!

Well if a government refuses to take questions from a specific paper because is is uncomfortable answering them then yes, I'd say categorically that it is trying to silence said news outlet. That's a very slippery slope, or is that to 'dramatic'?

If you're comfortable with that course of action, all well and good. Doubtless you have your own reasons. I'm not. I also think that when a government behaves in this manner, their behaviour asks rather more questions than it answers. It would not be the press I'd be losing confidence in under such circumstances, but the entity seeking to silence them.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Dramatic? Really!

Well if a government refuses to take questions from a specific paper because is is uncomfortable answering them then yes, I'd say categorically that it is trying to silence said news outlet. That's a very slippery slope, or is that to 'dramatic'?

If you're comfortable with that course of action, all well and good. Doubtless you have your own reasons. I'm not. I also think that when a government behaves in this manner, their behaviour asks rather more questions than it answers. It would not be the press I'd be losing confidence in under such circumstances, but the entity seeking to silence them.

It isn't, though. That paper can still go & print what the hell it likes.

Archived