The Politics Thread 2020

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Everybody has a right nowadays to judge other people's lives and also jobs, based on little to no evidence or knowledge. Because their opinion is as good as anyone else's. 

I hope this is tongue in cheek... As I think that's your motto isn't it?? 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not sure I’ve seen anybody post on here I would consider anywhere near far right , problem is too often mud slinging erupt s over how to identify and deal with issues considered to be far right , racist , sexist and such like , for me a lot of this is caused by people not realising that the route they see as promoting equality is actually just creating more boxes to put people in and creating division

Thats very true imo. 

The far left thought they could win back power by employing oppression olympics and assigning everyone a victim group.  Unfortunately cracks started appearing when people didn't simply conform to their prescribed identity group and the initial large identity groups fracture into increasingly smaller groups at which point you get kicked out of the left for not being left enough. 

For example, you start off with 2 genders, then 3, then 6.  Now its about 100.  Then despite (Joe Rogan) endorsing Bernie Sanders the left is justified in disowning you because you question the validity of transwomen being allowed to take part in MMA fighting ?

Little do they realise the end point ultimately ends up with giving power back to the individual and taking a less authoritarian approach - in other words, as you go further and further to the left you eventually end up back at the right again!  They do say things run in cycles...

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Coronavirus: Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

Pointing to his head, Mr Trump went on: "I'm not a doctor. But I'm, like, a person that has a good you-know-what."

He's the most powerful man in the world, with his finger on the nuclear button, yet he wouldn't last five minutes if he posted something as stupid as that on here. Words fail me.

47 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I hope this is tongue in cheek... As I think that's your motto isn't it?? 

Nope. There's far too many clueless idiots who think they know something and are entitled to rant their knowledge-less opinion at everyone.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Everybody has a right nowadays to judge other people's lives and also jobs, based on little to no evidence or knowledge. Because their opinion is as good as anyone else's. 

I disagree. An opinion with the benefit of the  facts and/or knowledge must be better than those of someone that is ignorant of them.

Otherwise, it's like saying Trump's comment that injecting disinfectant into the body as a cure for the virus is as good as the masses of scientists that are saying it's a stupid and dangerous idea.

Yes, he's entitled to his opinion (not that I think he should be talking about such crazy ideas in front of the public) but it doesn't make his opinion a good one. 

I think you're confusing the right to an opinion (which I agree with) with the quality of the opinion regardless of knowledge. 

6 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

What a well rounded moderate person I am ,which just goes to show that there really is a load of left wing commie pinko barstewards on this forum .?

chart.png

Did you just answer 'don't know' to every question?!? 

?

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I disagree. An opinion with the benefit of the  facts and/or knowledge must be better than those of someone that is ignorant of them.

Otherwise, it's like saying Trump's comment that injecting disinfectant into the body as a cure for the virus is as good as the masses of scientists that are saying it's a stupid and dangerous idea.

Yes, he's entitled to his opinion (not that I think he should be talking about such crazy ideas in front of the public) but it doesn't make his opinion a good one. 

I think you're confusing the right to an opinion (which I agree with) with the quality of the opinion regardless of knowledge. 

Not sure who has missed the point more.... ???

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Think a touch of sarcasm may have been involved. I think @RoyMac5's point is that every idiot has a platform these days, not that we should ignore all commentary and in this case, scientific fact. I think it's only Michael Gove that really believes we should ignore experts ?

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That was my point! Although what is 'right to an opinion'. It's basically saying I've the right to be a Dunning-Kruger!

4 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Coronavirus: Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

Pointing to his head, Mr Trump went on: "I'm not a doctor. But I'm, like, a person that has a good you-know-what."

No Way Reaction GIF by EA SPORTS FIFA

Thing is, he didnt suggest doing it did he?

As stupid as Trump is, it will only be people even more stupid than him who think he was advocating sitting there injecting yourself with dettol.

There are so many 2 minute clips on youtube/twitter from 'trusted' sources that show Trump alluding to injecting disinfectant/using UV light without giving the full context ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/trump-coronavirus-treatment-disinfectant

The actual press conference was about an hour long and Trump was directly talking to Bill Bryan (Homeland Security Science and Technology Lead) who had just been talking at the podium about different avenues of research the US has been undertaking including various bleeches and disinfectants that they have been testing on coronavirus in saliva.

I'm not denying it was clumsy but it certainly isn't what it is being made out to be. But hey, Orange Man Bad.

Watch from approx 33 mins

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

There are so many 2 minute clips on youtube/twitter from 'trusted' sources that show Trump alluding to injecting disinfectant/using UV light without giving the full context ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/trump-coronavirus-treatment-disinfectant

The actual press conference was about an hour long and Trump was directly talking to Bill Bryan (Homeland Security Science and Technology Lead) who had just been talking at the podium about different avenues of research the US has been undertaking including various bleeches and disinfectants that they have been testing on coronavirus in saliva.

I'm not denying it was clumsy but it certainly isn't what it is being made out to be. But hey, Orange Man Bad.

Watch from approx 33 mins

Even with my bad spelling of late knows it's spelt Slovenia.

Archived