The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think it's highly likely in his case, which if you follow what I was saying, is what I said.

I didn't say it's always learned behavior, but the odds of somebody being abused then abusing themselves sky rocket.

Agree , not digging you just saying it’s not always the case it’s learnt it can inexplicably be wired in some

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Archied said:

At what point does a person no longer deserve the protection and fair treatment of the law and our police ? 
if was in Robinson’s shoes in this incident the least I would expect is that both parties in this whole incident be arrested whilst investigated or neither but both asked to give statements regarding the whole thing , 

no matter how much some on here are incapable of seeing beyond the name Robinson and anybody who is is accused of defending him so by definition/ implication being a supporter of his views ,if you lose sight of that basic right then society is buggered and you are acting in exactly the same manner as Robinson is portrayed as and kidding yourself it’s ok because your doing it under the banner of right and decency ,

an 8 year old child has made an allegation of sexual assault and it’s quickly degenerated into accusation of her father being a drug crazed coke Ed up narcissist?  Sorry boys but pot and kettle is very much in evidence ,

this is not defending Robinson but rather pointing out behaving just the same as you believe he does but under a banner of righteousness is indefensible too

Well you'll have to excuse me if I chuckle over a sermon on righteousness from someone who's just spent night on 4 days and nights demeaning another poster across multiple threads over his views on Cocu's subs. If ever there was a case of pot-kettle as you like to term it, I'd say that ranks pretty highly. 

6 hours ago, Archied said:

To be fair what I picked up there was criticism of police and media treatment of the incident ?

It's amazing what can be seen when the person reading posts doesnt have blinkers on.

I was told it was me that couldn't see the issue and needed it explaining to me, maybe the 'moderator' telling me that, is the one struggling to see the issues being raised...

At what point does a person no longer deserve the protection and fair treatment of the law and our police ? 
if was in Robinson’s shoes in this incident the least I would expect is that both parties in this whole incident be arrested whilst investigated or neither but both asked to give statements regarding the whole thing , 

no matter how much some on here are incapable of seeing beyond the name Robinson and anybody who is is accused of defending him so by definition/ implication being a supporter of his views ,if you lose sight of that basic right then society is buggered and you are acting in exactly the same manner as Robinson is portrayed as and kidding yourself it’s ok because your doing it under the banner of right and decency ,

an 8 year old child has made an allegation of sexual assault and it’s quickly degenerated into accusation of her father being a drug crazed coke Ed up narcissist?  Sorry boys but pot and kettle is very much in evidence ,

this is not defending Robinson but rather pointing out behaving just the same as you believe he does but under a banner of righteousness is indefensible too

Spot on.

Be ready for a personal attack now that you have raised a point that they will be unable to argue with!

Just read through the rest of the posts and realised it's already happened...so predictable...

Wasn’t corbyn and labour accused of driving some workers to contemplating suicide over anti Semitic handling?

I also hear Courtney Love was nasty to Kurt Cobain and Hamlet didn't take time to listen to the concerns of Ophelia.

My point was actually not at all around whether Patel is or isn't a bully. My point was this popularist idea that we're just going to "drain the swamp" without any understanding of what the swamp is, what is in it, why it is there and what we might replace it with. Lazy sound bite straight out of the top drawer of Trump.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I also hear Courtney Love was nasty to Kurt Cobain and Hamlet didn't take time to listen to the concerns of Ophelia.

My point was actually not at all around whether Patel is or isn't a bully. My point was this popularist idea that we're just going to "drain the swamp" without any understanding of what the swamp is, what is in it, why it is there and what we might replace it with. Lazy sound bite straight out of the top drawer of Trump.

The swamp is any group or individual within the civil service or realms of government that seeks to undermine the government of the day. It's that simple. Bercrow being an example and Philip Rutnam. 

But lefties seem to think it's some sort of purge by the right. Draining the swamp is applicable to any government. 

If a civil servant can't executive what is being asked of them, then they should resign. It's a duty, not a career. 

If you cannot understand/comprehend this then you have lost touch with the broad voting public. But then again about 8 of you already have ??‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

If a civil servant can't executive what is being asked of them, then they should resign. It's a duty, not a career.

You might just want to come back when you understand the role of the civil service a bit better. You're miles off. They don't just execute plans, they advise on them and help to develop them in the first place

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/civil-service/about

As we’re accountable to the public we need to meet the highest possible standards in all that we do. We aim to have:

integrity - putting the obligations of public service above personal interests

honesty - being truthful and open

objectivity - basing advice and decisions on rigorous analysis of the evidence

impartiality - acting solely according to the merits of the case and serving governments of different political parties equally well

"Drain the swamp" is just an authoritarian soundbite that actually means "remove anyone who tells us things we don't want to hear"

It's the path to fascism I'm afraid

13 hours ago, ossieram said:

Seeing as you only quoted part of my post, I take that as you don't believe he could have been set up by others?

Actually - you're right. Sorry. Yes that's also not beyond the realms of possibility. I hope neither scenario is true because they are all equally awful

I hope the best case scenario turns out to be true - and that it was just a misunderstanding. An accident

53 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You might just want to come back when you understand the role of the civil service a bit better. You're miles off. They don't just execute plans, they advise on them and help to develop them in the first place

"Drain the swamp" is just an authoritarian soundbite that actually means "remove anyone who tells us things we don't want to hear"

No... drain the swamp is a saying I use to get rid of the poo that is scrounging a living in parliament, and the House of Lords, the ones that fought Brexit for there own preservation, the ones that fall asleep and take the money while discussions are going on about the welfare of veterans or the flooding crisis or anything remotely regarding BRITAIN.....the same people that when are awake probably talk about disbanding the Royal family, and protecting Muslim grooming gangs....that’s the swamp life I want draining

11 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

No... drain the swamp is a saying I use to get rid of the poo that is scrounging a living in parliament, and the House of Lords, the ones that fought Brexit for there own preservation, the ones that fall asleep and take the money while discussions are going on about the welfare of veterans or the flooding crisis or anything remotely regarding BRITAIN.....the same people that when are awake probably talk about disbanding the Royal family, and protecting Muslim grooming gangs....that’s the swamp life I want draining

Fair enough - but none of that will improve your life. I sense your anger and I understand it, but I think you're focussing it on the wrong things

8 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

I'm sorry but this makes zero sense. How many members of the House of Lords talk about disbanding the Royal family? How many people at all talk about protecting any kind of grooming gangs? 

Clearly the 'swamp' is different things to different people on here. The only connecting factor seems to be anything the user of the soundbite doesn't like.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

What is it with you an extremist tendancies? Who is suggesting Civil servants shouldn't have opinions or a voice? Always straight to extremism. 

I think you'll find it's people like this gent that resigned are the type to ignore civil servants, not the government. 

That is why think tanks are popping up left right and centre. 

All you do is use soundbites. Typically ones that indicate you're the kind of person who spends way too much time arguing with people on the internet. Like whataboutery ??

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm sorry but this makes zero sense. How many members of the House of Lords talk about disbanding the Royal family? How many people at all talk about protecting any kind of grooming gangs? 

Clearly the 'swamp' is different things to different people on here. The only connecting factor seems to be anything the user of the soundbite doesn't like.

Just incase people don't quite understand, the swamp is effectively a shadow government or individual. I don't care who ends up elected, a shadow government or individual should not impose their will. 

I didn't want Corbyn as PM, but I'll be damned if people who are their to serve and assist blocked him from implementing policy. 

21 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

I'd cancel your Daily Mail subscription;)

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep, god save us from soundbites. Any moment now we'll have people prattling on about 'draining the swamp'. 

*shudder

Once we've drained the swamp, and took back control, there'll be no more soundbites. 

Archived