Finishing positions of losing play off finalists

admira

With the Rams looking so poorly after last seasons magnificent efforts, I thought I'd take a look how previous Championship play off finalists have fared in the season after losing.

The average finishing position of these teams since 2000 is 9th.   

Four teams have gone up automatically (Norwich,. West Brom, Reading and Boro), two have got relegated (Barnsley and Leeds) and five found themselves back in the play offs.  Teams generally finish in the top half (14 from 20).

Season  Team  Position

2000-01  Barnsley  23rd

2001-02  Preston  12th

2002-03  Norwich  1st

2003-04  Sheffield United  8th

2004-05  West Ham  6th

2005-06  Preston  4th

2006-07  Leeds  24th

2007-08  West Brom  1st

2008-09  Bristol City  10th

2009-10  Sheffield United  8th

2010-11  Cardiff  4th

2011-12  Reading  1st

2012-13  Blackpool  15th

2013-14  Watford  13th

2014-15  Derby  8th

2015-16  Middlesbrough  2nd

2016-17  Sheffield Wednesday  4th

2017-18  Reading  20th

2018-19  Aston Villa  5th

2019-20  Derby  20th *

* Current position

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I presume all those positions are where they finished? Wouldn't tell you much though, like how Villa finished 5th but were about where we are now at this point in that season.

We are basically in the opposite position to Villa. Villa were only 5 points off the playoffs at this time last season and 15 away from the relegation spots. We are 12 points off the playoffs and 6 points off the relegation zone.

19 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We are basically in the opposite position to Villa. Villa were only 5 points off the playoffs at this time last season and 15 away from the relegation spots. We are 12 points off the playoffs and 6 points off the relegation zone.

Villa also only had 1 win in 14 go into our meeting with them in March and were further off the play offs of memory serves  me right 

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Villa also only had 1 win in 14 go into our meeting with them in March and were further off the play offs of memory serves  me right 

2 in 14 followed by 10 straight wins. Derby are like the A-Team when it comes to turning a struggling teams fortunes around. That run may have coincided with Grealish coming back from injury?

24 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

They were 8 points from the playoffs just before they gave us a 4-0 pasting in March. After they beat us it was 6 points and they then proceeded to win 10 games in a row.

49 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

2 in 14 followed by 10 straight wins. Derby are like the A-Team when it comes to turning a struggling teams fortunes around. That run may have coincided with Grealish coming back from injury?

mr t sucker GIF
we could do with Mr T in midfield and up front and in defence.

Interesting those stats really. Obviously after falling at the final hurdle, most teams the following season would be hoping to go once better and get the promotion in the end. But history shows how difficult it is, with most teams actually regressing and not progressing. Mind, even by those standards, our season so far is ducking awful. Still, if we carry on we might finish bottom and have enough (joint) record!

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting those stats really. Obviously after falling at the final hurdle, most teams the following season would be hoping to go once better and get the promotion in the end. But history shows how difficult it is, with most teams actually regressing and not progressing. Mind, even by those standards, our season so far is ducking awful. Still, if we carry on we might finish bottom and have enough (joint) record!

Correct yes you can juggle facts and figures around until they look better than they really are,one thing really interesting is Leeds going down after losing a play off final,lets hope we dont think we are to big a club to have the same fate 

8 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Correct yes you can juggle facts and figures around until they look better than they really are,one thing really interesting is Leeds going down after losing a play off final,lets hope we dont think we are to big a club to have the same fate 

Of course, but still, it’s not the sort of stats you’d really expect to see. The last point is a very important one, no club is too big to go down. poo players are poo players, whether they play for a big club or not. And if you have poo players, then you’re gonna go down.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Interesting. Also worth noting that only Reading and us are on the list twice. Would expect some others in 19 years but I guess it goes to show how hard it is to be consistently good in this league.

Or, how you don't need to be consistent to get promoted.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or, how you don't need to be consistent to get promoted.

All takes me back to what I said at the start of this season, as long as you don't get relegated, where you finish outside the top 2 has little bearing on how you will do the next season. Equally, you can get promoted by just having one good run and being average/ crap the rest of the time.

It is impressive how consistent we have been, but we now see the cost of that. 

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Interesting. Also worth noting that only Reading and us are on the list twice. Would expect some others in 19 years but I guess it goes to show how hard it is to be consistently good in this league.

Nobody has been in this league for more seasons than us and nobody has appeared in more Championship playoff campaigns than us. Coincidentally nobody has failed in the playoffs more times than us either. If we we are going to be in this league forever the least we could do is dominate this list. (which we have failed at as well.)

Archived