Cocu, opposing the opposition?

RoyMac5

Cocu, opposing the opposition?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why does he keep swapping about so much then, they're all crap pick a formation and practice it?

Because it's not about this season.

We won't get relegated so he's experimenting with formations and, particularly, with players to assess whether to keep them or get rid of them.

He said he wanted to tighten up yesterday after the run of away defeats, hence he played 3 at the back with wing backs.

It didn't work because the players were not good enough to create anything offensively. This is a poor squad.

If we are indeed attempting to "Oppose the opposition", then we need to know their every move.  Every oppo players needs to be studied.  Every formation.  In-game changes.  Variants of free kicks etc.  We simply need to learn more about them.

What we need then, is a man with a van.  A change of clothes, some binoculars, and perhaps a pair of wire cutters. 

44 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Because it's not about this season.

We won't get relegated so he's experimenting with formations and, particularly, with players to assess whether to keep them or get rid of them.

He said he wanted to tighten up yesterday after the run of away defeats, hence he played 3 at the back with wing backs.

It didn't work because the players were not good enough to create anything offensively. This is a poor squad.

Just love the way people post like they were in the dressing room before the game and know this seasons goals..

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Just love the way people post like they were in the dressing room before the game and know this seasons goals..

I listened to the interview with Cocu from a while back where he outlined his long term vision for the club. Similarly, Mel has described his goals for the club on numerous occasions.

I also accept promotion and relegation will not happen this season.

So, from all of that, I surmise the intentions.

It will be a surprise to some on here that there is a bigger picture.... It's not all about the results and performances of the first team this season.

AND like almost every post on every forum, it's an opinion not a claim of inside knowledge.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why does he keep swapping about so much then, they're all crap pick a formation and practice it?

Because imo he is trying to find a formula that works with the limited resources he has. Each week he has injuries as well to deal with, that makes continuity difficult to achieve.

Dont get me wrong, I don’t think he is doing a great job at moment, just don’t think the issue is the formation or playing the opponent.

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I listened to the interview with Cocu from a while back where he outlined his long term vision for the club. Similarly, Mel has described his goals for the club on numerous occasions.

I also accept promotion and relegation will not happen this season.

So, from all of that, I surmise the intentions.

It will be a surprise to some on here that there is a bigger picture.... It's not all about the results and performances of the first team this season.

AND like almost every post on every forum, it's an opinion not a claim of inside knowledge.

And yet you post it like a fact. If you said , I don’t believe we will get relegated, it’s an opinion.. ‘Because it’s not about this season’ that is posted as a fact.. How do you know it’s  not about this season? Phil tell ya? Mel?

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

And yet you post it like a fact. If you said , I don’t believe we will get relegated, it’s an opinion.. ‘Because it’s not about this season’ that is posted as a fact.. How do you know it’s  not about this season? Phil tell ya? Mel?

Ok I apologise for not prefacing all of my comments with "in my humble opinion IMHO)". I hope you will do the same.

Phil and Mel have publicly outlined their hopes and aspirations - and long term plan. IMHO they cannot come out and say "this season we're just going to experiment and prepare for next season" because that would reduce the gate. However, my opinion is that that is what is happening - and, given the circumstances, it's both inevitable and sensible.

30 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

In his first press conference Cocu was asked about his aims and stated that the primary aims of the first season were to implement and continue a philosophy in the club, bring the academy in line with the first team, develop the squad, and that promotion or even a top 6 finish was not to be the main priority in the first season.

41 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Because imo he is trying to find a formula that works with the limited resources he has. Each week he has injuries as well to deal with, that makes continuity difficult to achieve.

Dont get me wrong, I don’t think he is doing a great job at moment, just don’t think the issue is the formation or playing the opponent.

If this won't be next seasons squad/team why find a formula that works (although he's already found one of course) with players who don't fit his plans?

4 minutes ago, JfR said:

In his first press conference Cocu was asked about his aims and stated that the primary aims of the first season were to implement and continue a philosophy in the club, bring the academy in line with the first team, develop the squad, and that promotion or even a top 6 finish was not to be the main priority in the first season.

Well the last bit seems to be working...

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If this won't be next seasons squad/team why find a formula that works (although he's already found one of course) with players who don't fit his plans?

Sorry not sure I quite understand the question. What alternative has he got ?

18 minutes ago, JfR said:

I'd rather he brought the first team in line with the Academy!

Archived