Cocu, opposing the opposition?

RoyMac5

Cocu, opposing the opposition?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

On RD post match someone commentated that Cocu sets up his teams to (paraphrase) 'oppose the opposition'. Is this the way to set up Derby to play?

Well if this is what he’s been trying to do way from home the proof is in the pudding 

it’s a resounding no 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Because it's not about this season.

We won't get relegated so he's experimenting with formations and, particularly, with players to assess whether to keep them or get rid of them.

He said he wanted to tighten up yesterday after the run of away defeats, hence he played 3 at the back with wing backs.

It didn't work because the players were not good enough to create anything offensively. This is a poor squad.

How do u know he’s experimenting with formations 

do u think in this day and age a manger has the given time (no matter what contract their on) to experiment 

I think not 

I think he’s doing his best to land on something that gets something ... anything out of the players he has 

ironically he seemed to have found something in Martin with Marriott off him 

but ditched it after 2 games 

I’m still like to know why ... and what he sees in the lone isolated striker that others don’t 

Cos it isn’t being translated into results 

4 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

This. It is a poor league, defending at times is farcical. Over the years The teams that end up top or near there attack attack attack. If you create the chances in the championship you will score. But there lies the issue we dont create enough. Preston came to PP and they were 2nd in the league and rubbish, we attacked them played well and won. I dont understand why we have not persevered with this. Rooney may change all that, I hope. 24 sleeps and counting.

Here are our attacking options: Holmes, Dowell, Knight, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Paterson, Whittaker, Waghorn, Martin, Marriott. 

Are you surprised why we aren’t creating enough?

How many times have we ended a game thinking Lowe, Malone or Bogle was our best attacker over that 90 minutes? That’s a bit of a problem.

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Sorry not sure I quite understand the question. What alternative has he got ?

The one that doesn't mean playing Bogle as a RWB? Or Waghorn as a lone striker. Or not starting Whittaker/Knight but starting Dowell. Not leaving Martin/Marriott until the last 10 minutes...

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The one that doesn't mean playing Bogle as a RWB? Or Waghorn as a lone striker. Or not starting Whittaker/Knight but starting Dowell. Not leaving Martin/Marriott until the last 10 minutes...

All of those are valid points, I was more referring to the content about playing players that are not in his plans. 

Are you referring to the recall to the starting line up of Dowell ? Sorry pal just didn’t get the previous question, which is probably more down to me than your post.

Went with yes by accident, meant sometimes. In reality, it’s a bit of a complicated issue. I think you should always put in place some minor tactical arrangements to deal with the opposition you’re up against. Man marking the main threat, who to press at the back etc etc. Think some past Derby managers were rightly criticised for not doing enough of that. But as with anything, there’s a balance. In the Main, it really should be minor adjustments to a main tactical style that is well drilled and used week in week out. Maybe against teams In the league above who are vastly superior you should probably make changes to become more defensive in formation. And vice versa for teams who are vastly inferior of course, who are likely to sit really deep. But against QPR? Just go with your main style of play ffs.

Cocu seems too scared of the opposition to me, and it’s doing nothing other than making us even easier to beat. I mean, are we men or are we mice?! Can we not press bloody blackburn even just a little bit? Are we so scared of Danny Graham that we need 4 men on him? Come on man. This isn’t the way it should be.

Archived