Football on Amazon Prime 3/4/5 December

Gritstone Ram

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If this leads to more kick off dates and times being moved, Amazon can duck themselves. Football's priority should always be the match goer.

If Amazon manages to win some semblance of control, which they're rich enough to do, they wouldn't need to move times at all. 

Sky has to have about 15 slots a week cos they can't broadcast everything at once to their subscribers. Amazon can.

You might end up with an early game and a late primetime game; for major stuff, but nothing like the mess it is now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If Amazon manages to win some semblance of control, which they're rich enough to do, they wouldn't need to move times at all. 

Sky has to have about 15 slots a week cos they can't broadcast everything at once to their subscribers. Amazon can.

You might end up with an early game and a late primetime game; for major stuff, but nothing like the mess it is now.

Thanks for that. You clearly know more than me about the situation, so I appreciate you informing me.

I'll admit, I'm stressed tonight and used this as an excuse to lash out. I should have checked my facts before doing so.

One genuine thought though: aren't Sky obliged by law to schedule games outside of the Saturday 3pm fixtures? Might a new law not be made to apply that to Amazon too?

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Thanks for that. You clearly know more than me about the situation, so I appreciate you informing me.

I'll admit, I'm stressed tonight and used this as an excuse to lash out. I should have checked my facts before doing so.

One genuine thought though: aren't Sky obliged by law to schedule games outside of the Saturday 3pm fixtures? Might a new law not be made to apply that to Amazon too?

True, the ol' blackout period. Not sure tbh. Personally I think thats a bit outdated.

Although the concerns about dropping attendances that its in place for would probably still be very relevant at lower leagues.

I think Amazon having every prem game streaming at 3pm shouldnt share that concern. Prem football tends to put bums on seats. Also, if they said "we are looking to broadcast every game like the NFL does" (which is their end goal) every game would have to be on outside of the blackout if it was enforced, which somewhat defeats the purpose?

Have no idea what would happen with the Champ and below though.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If this leads to more kick off dates and times being moved, Amazon can duck themselves. Football's priority should always be the match goer.

Back in the day 7.30 was proper kick off time. But know what you mean,  one game at 8pm is it boxing day? 

I know if that was Derby not a chance i would go.

Just now, oomarkwright said:

Ally mcoist is doing that one. 

I don't hate him; but I still prefer the crowd I think.

Divick Origi just scored a wonderful goal to make it 3-1

34 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think it's more about the rights and the blackout period than technical capacity to show all the games. They used to show all champions league games on the red button simultaneously. 

I've heard a few whispers that Amazon didn't want to go for PL, but were essentially bullied into it by the Premier League for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't go for it again in the next bid.

That said, they haven't half arsed it at all. Great coverage.

12 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I've heard a few whispers that Amazon didn't want to go for PL, but were essentially bullied into it by the Premier League for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't go for it again in the next bid.

That said, they haven't half arsed it at all. Great coverage.

They’ve bid for it as a loss leader. They must have spent a ton on it, not just the bid, but the amount of pundits they’ve brought in.

The idea is to get people signing up for a free trial on prime before Christmas, then realising they now get free delivery on amazon, so ordering their Christmas shopping from amazon. Genius if it works, but very expensive if it doesn’t. 

On 04/12/2019 at 19:09, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It would be nice to think that, with all this extra money coming in, the actual tickets to go see the match could be all but free.

Otherwise, eventually we’ll all be watching the match on tele, against a back drop of an empty stadium.

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It would be nice to think that, with all this extra money coming in, the actual tickets to go see the match could be all but free.

Otherwise, eventually we’ll all be watching the match on tele, against a back drop of an empty stadium.

People said that about attendances when sky got involved.

I think there is still a massive appetite for fans to go to matches, that wont change i dont think. 

Archived