Mid Table (19/20/21) - Please and Thank You

Hanny

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Squid said:

At this stage, I'd say top 12, but when Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooney comes in that'll change, plus a couple signings and we'll be gravy granules 

Aah bisto. The gravy boat has come home to roast. Groovy man.

21 hours ago, Andicis said:

I've gone off on a tangent a bit I think, but I can't get behind the idea that next year is automatically a mid table finish. If it turns out that way then so be it, but I really do think next year we have to start seeing progress.

Just wanted to touch on the term progress. I think this is also a point where we view through different lenses. I think you are equating progress to a move up the table(which I partly agree with). I would be much more interested in seeing individual player progress over time, which then begets a move up the table. Of course it's not a 1-1 ratio. But I think it's a more measured approach then bringing in a bunch of new players and hoping they work out (which isn't what you're saying...but many do.

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Derby fans in 2035 after another season in the championship... “Next season is a transition season, it’ll take time”

Writing seasons off for transition is absolute ******** imho. You have to have a long term strategy of course, but you can’t wait to make your challenge. Players won’t stay around forever, you can’t really build teams over the course of 3 or 4 years anymore. We’ve seen with our last two managers how quickly things change in football and you can be left starting again. You have to try and achieve what you want to achieve every season. Simple as.

I agree that challenging should be done, within reason. Derby should have the resources to trot out a challenging side, yet, something seems to get in the way. As this has happened year over year for some time, wouldn't you want to take a look at what might be changed in the process? I'm suggesting we take some time with Management/Philosophy (i.e. keeping Cocu around a few years), as a possible solution. I'm suggesting this, because Derby has not done this for some time. It my mind it may be the slight change to the cycle that can lift Derby from a top 8 team(always the brides maid) to that top 2.

It seems you are advocating for Derby to do the same thing that's been done year over year, in so far as if they don't get promoted, slash it...bring in a bunch new players, new management, new direction; but they just need to do it better? Is that a fair assessment? 

3 hours ago, KCG said:

Absolutely, as I have said numerous times before we have watched teams come up from the first and sail past us. This year it's likely another unfancied team will sail past us.

How can you have a transition year (year after ducking year!) when other teams will come and steal away your better players and put you back to square one?

The whole transition nonsense is a load of baalocks IMHO!!

Pretty much same response I gave above. Save for one point. I say Derby have not been allowed to have a transition year. I think you are saying that by not getting promoted, and chopping/changing staff...that's called a transition year? Is that basically correct? 

I think a transition year (which is different from what has been going on the last few years) involves more stability as opposed to chopping/changing. Those League One clubs that seem to fly past us, have been in forced stability/transition years for awhile by simply being in League One. I suggest we take those Derby resources and add some stability (which may include playing youngsters) which may prove some poor results, for the aim of producing a greater team in the end. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Sums it up basically, especially when In these so called transition seasons we don’t Actually bring in any permanent transfers! Every year we start again regardless.

Because we keep changing managers.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The last two have left of their own accord, and that’s exactly the point. You don’t know what’s going to happen in football, so you have to go for it while you have the chance.

Well in that sense, our chance is gone, imo.

We need a promotion capable squad to be built before any manager will have a chance with us. So right now, going for it doesn't seem like the best move.

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well in that sense, our chance is gone, imo.

We need a promotion capable squad to be built before any manager will have a chance with us. So right now, going for it doesn't seem like the best move.

But building a squad and going for it don’t have to be mutually exclusive. People have it in their heads that it takes years to build a decent squad, when in reality with some actual decent recruitment, it needent take anywhere near that long. And regardless “going for it” doesn’t always have to mean chasing promotion- just doing the best we can at that stage.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

But building a squad and going for it don’t have to be mutually exclusive. People have it in their heads that it takes years to build a decent squad, when in reality with some actual decent recruitment, it needent take anywhere near that long. And regardless “going for it” doesn’t always have to mean chasing promotion- just doing the best we can at that stage.

For the record, I don't think the phrase "transitional season" is particularly useful when talking about the present, or the future.

It's far more usefully used in hindsight. I think this will be looked back at as a transitional season, but I do agree with you that I don't think the people within the club should be behaving as if it is. And I doubt they are.

None of the previous seasons should be described as such. We've just kept going around in circles and the squad has simply declined as a result.

On 25/10/2019 at 16:37, DcfcJB said:

Just wrong... every year we have the same. We’re not good enough we need to give the lads time to build? What are we building? It must be huge because it’s been 10+ in the making! 
Firstly our squad is still a decent squad when compared with the rest of the league, we’re still a top 6 contender. At the moment we haven’t hit form due to the difficulty of our first 10 games, injuries etc. But we’re only 4 points from playoffs and 6 from top 2 (and we’re not playing well at all! Imagine when we do pick up some form!!!)  Positively though apart from two obscure games this season we have been hard to beat. We have drawn a number of games where we should have won. 

Key to this league is to have a decent squad that can keep in touch with the top 6 until January and invest wisely in players that will take you across the line see Mitrovic and Fulham/ Mings and Villa.

We haven't been building one thing for 10 years. We start building and then get bored - tear half of it down, pick completely different building materials and try and mash it all together whilst half of the construction crew are completely sozzled out of their minds. I do not disagree with you though - we arent playing well, but even so we have been hard to beat so far. We aren't entertaining to watch but as long as we aren't doing a Middlesbrough Cocu needs time.

Our entire recruitment team has been garbage for some time, but both Mings and Mitrovic were signed for more than £20mill by Villa and Fulham - unless we get another company ala 32red to pay for them we wont be doing that. They were both on loan first, but again I have no faith in our ability to loan quality players. Last year was a blip in terms of our loanees and as far as I am concerned our loans are usually as poor as our permanent signings.

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We haven't been building one thing for 10 years. We start building and then get bored - tear half of it down, pick completely different building materials and try and mash it all together whilst half of the construction crew are completely sozzled out of their minds. I do not disagree with you though - we arent playing well, but even so we have been hard to beat so far. We aren't entertaining to watch but as long as we aren't doing a Middlesbrough Cocu needs time.

Our entire recruitment team has been garbage for some time, but both Mings and Mitrovic were signed for more than £20mill by Villa and Fulham - unless we get another company ala 32red to pay for them we wont be doing that. They were both on loan first, but again I have no faith in our ability to loan quality players. Last year was a blip in terms of our loanees and as far as I am concerned our loans are usually as poor as our permanent signings.

The blip was due to the manager I think we would agree.  I am still hopeful that the current guy has contacts that will produce equal if not better than FL.  Our current recruitment team need to go, hopefully down the A 52

If were6in building mode, then I'd hope to be able to see a core of players emerging who we can see developing and forming the basis of our team. I'd be thinking bogle Lowe bielk roos etc

Not much point buding around loans who by defi6are short term, or the players like Davies who are in their twilight years. 

Sadly, as yet we're seeing regress6in some or all of these players rather than progress. 

2 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Bielik looked like a good championship player first half, second half he looked like a pub league player. He was absolutely knackered in the second half, I don’t think he can handle the pace of the championship. 

Would have thought the modern scouting methods would have detailed info on every aspect of a player the club is about to sign (for £10m) including physical fitness, levels of stamina, how many weetabix he has for breakfast etc .....

10 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

I don’t think he can handle the pace of the championsh

Maybe we should drop him back into defence alongside Curtis and let shinnie do the job in midfield on his own. Clarke and Davies just isn't working, they're not dynamic enough

Archived