Your vote for captain

jono

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally this fella

spacer.png

Failing that, I've said elsewhere we should go game-by-game. Then the obvious contender is Rooney once he arrives. I think Huddlestone has to be dropped for sharing the social media videos outside of the club. I realize dcfc will have thought they were doing the right thing, but they've been too precipitous, acting before all the details had come out. 

As with every match, we need 11 captains on the pitch regardless.

As I said in the other thread, Davies is the obvious choice. Experienced, proper leader of men, and a commanding presence in the pitch. A player im sure commands respect and knows how to organise his team, something we’ve been missing. Also been our captain before and done a good job. By a mile the most suitable candidate for captain and always was imo, it was just a question of whether he plays enough to be one. Previously you could see why he wasn’t as he’s not great on the ball, but think it’s everything that’s happened and our lack of options, we now need him in there to bring some experience to a struggling, young side. 

However, the fact he wasn’t named captain straight Away over Hudds suggests he isn’t going to play. I think that’s a mistake but I can understand cocus reasons. If that is the case, then I’d go with Waghorn. Good charectar, Works hard every game, good discipline, and definitely not involved. At the very least a decent model on the pitch for young players.

Don’t think Malone or Martin can possibly be considered when they were there after 8pm, not until we know exactly what happened- neither should be in the squad for now, yet alone captain. In terms of other options, Holmes is a reasonable shout. We’re not blessed with options but he’s arguably our most talented player, and given a role like this (even if it is just an armband) could give him that self belief to become even better. Could be the making of him having the responsibility of organising the team and getting involved in everything. He’s not the sort To hide so think he’d be a good candidate, always battling away so he’d probably relish it! Bielik as well looks like he could be a future captain, but think he’s too new to the club.

If we wanted to go down the youth route, lowe would be my shout, he’s probably been our best player this year and looks to have learned and matured a lot out on loan. He’d probably deserve it for giving his all through our terrible start. But think really it needs to be someone with a bit of experience- Waghorn has to be the standout, he’s popular accross the squad by all accounts too.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

As I said in the other thread, Davies is the obvious choice. Experienced, proper leader of men, and a commanding presence in the pitch. A player im sure commands respect and knows how to organise his team, something we’ve been missing. Also been our captain before and done a good job. By a mile the most suitable candidate for captain and always was imo, it was just a question of whether he plays enough to be one. Previously you could see why he wasn’t as he’s not great on the ball, but think it’s everything that’s happened and our lack of options, we now need him in there to bring some experience to a struggling, young side. 

However, the fact he wasn’t named captain straight Away over Hudds suggests he isn’t going to play. I think that’s a mistake but I can understand cocus reasons. If that is the case, then I’d go with Waghorn. Good charectar, Works hard every game, good discipline, and definitely not involved. At the very least a decent model on the pitch for young players.

Don’t think Malone or Martin can possibly be considered when they were there after 8pm, not until we know exactly what happened- neither should be in the squad for now, yet alone captain. In terms of other options, Holmes is a reasonable shout. We’re not blessed with options but he’s arguably our most talented player, and given a role like this (even if it is just an armband) could give him that self belief to become even better. Could be the making of him having the responsibility of organising the team and getting involved in everything. He’s not the sort To hide so think he’d be a good candidate, always battling away so he’d probably relish it! Bielik as well looks like he could be a future captain, but think he’s too new to the club.

If we wanted to go down the youth route, lowe would be my shout, he’s probably been our best player this year and looks to have learned and matured a lot out on loan. He’d probably deserve it for giving his all through our terrible start. But think really it needs to be someone with a bit of experience- Waghorn has to be the standout, he’s popular accross the squad by all accounts too.

Perfect order. Davies (if he plays, which seems unlikely), then Waghorn, then Holmes, then Lowe.

Captaincy isn’t about who is liked or works hardest it needs to be Someone who can lift the team when we’re up against, calm players when things get nervy and dish out a rollicking to players not doing their jobs. They need to be a leader.

keogh showed none of these traits in and seemingly off the pitch, I have struggled to understand why so many managers have given him this role and can only assume we lack genuine leaders at the club.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Someone who's not a dick.

I kinda got the impression Keogh was a dick from the open training session earlier in the year . 

We had 7 lads all under 7's dying to meet there hero's . Keogh just literally signed there cards , shirts etc and moved on without a word . They're their hero's at leas acknowledge them especially as captain . 

28 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Perfect order. Davies (if he plays, which seems unlikely), then Waghorn, then Holmes, then Lowe.

Pretty much, though id have half a mind to give it Holmes over waggy. No real reason why, I just like him as a player? Tho maybe if I wanted a legit argument, he’s in midfield rather than all the way up front

Has to be Davies as the club captain and I’d choose Lowe as the ‘starting’ captain when Davies doesn’t play. I really think Lowe would embrace the role. 

It’s a real shame as we’ve said many a time about Thorne’s injuries. Thorne would have been the natural successor for the role

Archived