The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Not really. I know a thing or two about Economics.

Do you? I mean that as a genuine question. I studied some economic theory as part of my Business Studies degree, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert. I just understand the basics. I can't say I've read anything in your posts that indicates a particular deep knowledge, but maybe you're just humouring us all ?

12 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Sorry Ghost had a really busy time leading up to the match on Tuesday so I never got back to you!

Just for the point, I fully agreed with DarkFruits point and believe the whole system needs overhauling. Student renting alone is one of the biggest cons around, it’s only designed to exploit young people.

As I understand it, labours policy isn’t just a random policy but from focus groups that say debt coming out of university is a big stigma. Fully agree that it isn’t entirely accurate in general terms, but I do think you have to address it if that’s a stigma that’s stopping people from going.

Then isn't a better solution to properly educate the children AND parents about the real financial impact of going to university well in advance of any application? 

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Do you? I mean that as a genuine question. I studied some economic theory as part of my Business Studies degree, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert. I just understand the basics. I can't say I've read anything in your posts that indicates a particular deep knowledge, but maybe you're just humouring us all ?

I’ve not seen anything in your posts that suggests you did a business degree. Genuine question. 2 lectures? 

29 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

how very dare you catherine tate GIF

I have a Masters in Economics from Uni and later, a Masters also in Marketing via part time study.

As to why I don't try and impart knowledge, I don't know everything and even if I did, I would probably bore myself and everyone else, banging on about it.

I do know enough, however to be genuinely scared of the sort of spending plans being put forward in this election. Nowt to do with ideology here - I said a few days ago that I like most of what Labour are saying on workplace reforms etc but the sheer scale of their plans looks very much to me like a recipe for 10%+ inflation & resulting wage spiral. Plus of course the increase in debt and tax burden on small & medium business = Not good.

6 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

how very dare you catherine tate GIF

I have a Masters in Economics from Uni and later, a Masters also in Marketing via part time study.

As to why I don't try and impart knowledge, I don't know everything and even if I did, I would probably bore myself and everyone else, banging on about it.

I do know enough, however to be genuinely scared of the sort of spending plans being put forward in this election. Nowt to do with ideology here - I said a few days ago that I like most of what Labour are saying on workplace reforms etc but the sheer scale of their plans looks very much to me like a recipe for 10%+ inflation & resulting wage spiral. Plus of course the increase in debt and tax burden on small & medium business = Not good.

Don't bother trying to bring real world knowledge and understanding onto this thread … 

… get your billy bullshot outrage trousers on, and then just post a link (you know you wanna)

?️

I live in the Derbyshire Dale's which for years has had a strong conservative majority but now that Patrick's gone we've got some barrister from London and that's all we know about her.  For as long as I have been  here the other candidates from other parties have not bothered with us- no leaflets, no meetings  nothing.  Up to now there has been no attempt from any  candidates to engage with us at all.  If I were ever to stand for election, and that's a non starter, I'd be out canvassing and as a new candidate I'd hold meetings etc. I don't trust, like or respect any party and haven't a clue who to vote for but like Wolfie I will be voting. It's very sad that so many people feel like this.

Unfortunately if there is one thing we really know about economists  it's that they are really bad at making economic predictions. Incredibly bad.  According to Nate Silver in a study of 60 global and national recessions during the 1990s, economists correctly predicted only 2 of those recessions.  58 of the 60 were missed.  Several were missed by economists even when they were in the middle of those recessions.  Yet we still hold a lot of store in economic predictions for some reason, despite how often ( most of the time) those predictions are wrong. 

It's not that the economists are stupid or lack knowledge, it's just the global economic system (which is itself intertwined with to the vagaries of human psychology) is far too complex for anyone to understand now.  And they the economists are almost always dealing with incomplete, out of date and inadequate data.  It's no wonder they get so much wrong.  Economics should never be considered a science.

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Unfortunately if there is one thing we really know about economists  it's that they are really bad at making economic predictions. Incredibly bad.  According to Nate Silver in a study of 60 global and national recessions during the 1990s, economists correctly predicted only 2 of those recessions.  58 of the 60 were missed.  Several were missed by economists even when they were in the middle of those recessions.  Yet we still hold a lot of store in economic predictions for some reason, despite how often ( most of the time) those predictions are wrong. 

It's not that the economists are stupid or lack knowledge, it's just the global economic system (which is itself intertwined with to the vagaries of human psychology) is far too complex for anyone to understand now.  And they the economists are almost always dealing with incomplete, out of date and inadequate data.  It's no wonder they get so much wrong.  Economics should never be considered a science.

One thing that is for certain is the ability to react to changes ensures the greatest prosperity. Once the UK leaves the EU it will be in a considerably more fluid and adaptable state. Especially compared to the rest of the western world. 

7 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

One thing that is for certain is the ability to react to changes ensures the greatest prosperity. Once the UK leaves the EU it will be in a considerably more fluid and adaptable state. Especially compared to the rest of the western world. 

And isolated.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Then isn't a better solution to properly educate the children AND parents about the real financial impact of going to university well in advance of any application? 

Not really, or at least not in a clear and concise way that speaks to people from different backgrounds. If you try and educate people, you are still telling them that they, or their children, will incure debt but later then you aren’t changing that stigma anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

Oh goodness me .

That is really desperate 

Lets go back and dig out some more old interviews. 

Fact remains, that's the scumbag you're voting for, even if seeing this again isn't terribly comfortable you and your ilk. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. We won't go into the assaults on his partner, the fact he won't even answer questions of how many kids he's got, misappropriation of public funds, Jennifer Acuri, the 40 hospitals he said he'd build (6 actually), the £1 billion a month Labour were costing the country by delaying Brexit, how the Tories had addressed the debt deficit (whilst actually nigh on doubling it inside 10 years), yada, yada, yada...

Know how to tell when a Tory is lying? Their lips move. 

47 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Fact remains, that's the scumbag you're voting for, even if seeing this again isn't terribly comfortable you and your ilk. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. We won't go into the assaults on his partner, the fact he won't even answer questions of how many kids he's got, misappropriation of public funds, Jennifer Acuri, the 40 hospitals he said he'd build (6 actually), the £1 billion a month Labour were costing the country by delaying Brexit, how the Tories had addressed the debt deficit (whilst actually nigh on doubling it inside 10 years), yada, yada, yada...

Know how to tell when a Tory is lying? Their lips move. 

image.thumb.gif.08ea0ba9364ad526080c91c7622fed65.gif

The measure of Blowhard Johnson...

Andrew Neil has told Boris Johnson he is ready to interview him 'any time, any place and anywhere' as the Tories claim that 'discussions are on-going' over whether the prime minister will appear on the BBC before election day.

And as if the fop-haired coward wasn't looking impotent enough, we now have this...

Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage will be empty-chaired in tonight's climate change debate if they refuse to take part, Channel 4 has confirmed.

The Brexit Party leader has already said he will not attend, while Mr Johnson is understood to have asked to send a substitute. This was rejected by Channel 4, which is hosting the event.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson and Green Party co-leader Sian Berry have all confirmed that they will take part.

All major parties represented and Johnson happy to wheel his underlings out to face Andrew Neil, but himself quaking in his boots at the prospect of having to back-up his party's smearing of the opposition and his litany of election campaign lies. And this creature is the prime minister of the UK.

Seems clear that the only people he despises more than those not voting for him, are those that are.

Archived