The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

Really? Speak for yourself.

Well, obviously I knew what I was voting for. What I meant was that all the people who voted differently to me can't have properly understood what they were voting for. Simply not accepting the result of a democratic referendum because I didn't personally like it would make me look bad, so I have to invent a narrative about people being misinformed, so I can maintain a smug sense of superiority.

25 minutes ago, Anon said:

Well, obviously I knew what I was voting for. What I meant was that all the people who voted differently to me can't have properly understood what they were voting for. Simply not accepting the result of a democratic referendum because I didn't personally like it would make me look bad, so I have to invent a narrative about people being misinformed, so I can maintain a smug sense of superiority.

I think you managed that with your post mate

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

So we shouldn't even try?

I don't understand this lack of ambition

I know that a lot of Labour policies are idealistic and unrealistic - but they are aspirationally sound. So what's the problem with trying to implement 100% and only achieving 50% of it. You've still achieved 50% more than you would have if you had just not bothered even trying

What bad stuff happened in people's childhoods to leave them with such cynicism?

I've never understood the attitude of "That'll never work so we shouldn't even try - we should stick with what we have now, even though I know what we have now is rubbish"

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Same with Brexit? 

It's the impact of implementing that 50% though. 4 day weeks, massive overspends? That 50% could set us back 20 years. Aspirational is okay but you gotta pay for it. Well someone does, probably not you.

Labour's policies and brexit are not the same.

Labour's policies on were the money, to help regenerate the country, would be spent and how it would be paid for. Yes many people will decry it, claiming it's unworkable and would bankrupt the country. But at least Labour's plans as clearly defind.

Brexit on the other hand is just a collection of possibilities of what could happen. A lot of ifs and maybes that leave campaigners tried to pass off as facts. Where are all the plans and costing for when brexit takes place. The governmental report, Yellowhammer, to look at the impact of brexit on the country, as not yet been published. Wonder why?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

It wasn't clear what we were voting for! Only once the winning party has attempted to implement their policies for 3 years will we truly understand what the vote represents.

Go on then, I've asked before but I'll try again, what where we voting for.

Was it leaving with a Canada+, a Canada++, a Norway, or Farage's clean break, no deal. Or was it just leave and let our politicians decide on which they deemed the best leave deal to take. If you wanted the last one, that's going well isn't it.

Or remaining in the EU, as it currently stands.

13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Why do you have to keep on asking people on a football forum?

What everyone was voting for was written on the ballot paper:-

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union

24 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Gibraltar had a referendum on staying with the UK ,therefore they have to except the outcome ,The same with Scotland . Personally  as unpalatable it may be to some in N.I it's time to let it go.

What should NI let go? The Good Friday Agreement, twenty years of relative peace, no longer being part of the UK. Come on NI suck it up, think of what all us Englishmen want. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why do you have to keep on asking people on a football forum?

What everyone was voting for was written on the ballot paper:-

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union

Happy to let the politicians decide on how we leave then?

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

What should NI let go? The Good Friday Agreement, twenty years of relative peace, no longer being part of the UK. Come on NI suck it up, think of what all us Englishmen want. 

Which bit of democracy don't you get ffs .They voted to stay in as a region ,they don't want unification ,they want to be part of the UK why should a minority group dictate to everyone else [although that is the norm nowadays ]

Do you think the rest of the UK should give up want they want? 

14 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Was it leaving with a Canada+, a Canada++, a Norway, or Farage's clean break, no deal. Or was it just leave and let our politicians decide on which they deemed the best leave deal to take. If you wanted the last one, that's going well isn't it.

Or remaining in the EU, as it currently stands.

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" 

People weren't asked to vote on possibly leaving and seeing what deal we could get. Maybe they should've been, but they weren't. I wonder if you'd accept the same kind of whataboutery from brexit supporters had the referendum result gone the other way?

3 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Did anyone see that bloke make a tit of himself on QT last night saying he wasn't in the top 5% or even 50% of earners, since he earned £80k?.

I take it he's not paid £80k to anything that requires intellect. Has he ever thought of becoming an MP?

These are the morons who vote Tory. Usually.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Are you saying this tax is a bad idea because of poor souls "in London" earning over 80k?

Have a read  there is a lot to their plans 

Hope you don’t get marriage allowance because you won’t get it under Labour for one as they are scrapping it

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/labour-manifesto-tax-plans-inheritance-income-corporation-second-home-taxes-policies-jeremy-corbyn-1318941

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

Conservatives have said they will build 1 Million new homes in the next parliament.

I can’t keep up with this .

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-21/lib-dems-pledge-to-build-300-000-homes-per-year/

is that on top of the 200,000 new homes they were going to build by the end of the current parliament?

But didn't and instead built, er, 0....but not because they ran out of bricks. Or because they couldn't decontaminate the site......?

Archived