James McClean Hypocrisy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Anon said:

It's true that people don't like McClean, but in all honesty it's with good reason. The guy is a complete jeb end and this current situation sums it up perfectly.

It's more than possible to have a reasonable, rational debate about the Declan Rice situation. Kevin Kilbane made almost the exact same point as McClean a few weeks ago when he said that Ireland should've ditched Rice the moment he refused an international call up to consider his options. Not everyone agreed with Kilbane, but his opinion was generally well received. Kilbane, although not born in Ireland, refused an England U21 international call up because he wanted to represent the ROI. Kilbane practiced what he preached, so his opinion carries some weight.

James McClean, on the other hand, represented Northern Ireland multiple times in U21 football and has since boasted about using that opportunity as a stepping stone to play for the ROI. Yes, some people are annoyed simply because he's James McClean and he looks, acts, and sounds like a walking scrotum, but most are annoyed about his utterly blatant and shameless hypocrisy.

As I said, I was talking about my own hypocrisy towards having a different opinion on Rices choice based on him picking England, had it been the other way I believe I would have had a different outlook. 

10 hours ago, philmycock said:

Exactly, hate the football club, like the city and a few of the people!!

I love the pubs. Well, ok, two of the pubs - Belgo and The Canal House - although the latter is going downhill fast. Two weeks ago, they served me a Westmalle Tripel IN AN ORVAL GLASS. I ask you.

The issue is the concept of the nation state. 

Take Italy; before the Risorgimento people saw themselves as Florentines or Neopolitans.

After Garibaldi etc al, suddenly they had to see themselves as Italians

What makes a state? Culture? Language? Geography?

As I understand, it James McClean does not hate British people or support the IRA. He does not wear a poppy because he supports the IRA but because of the British part in the fighting in Derry including Bloody Sunday, which according to a British parliamentary inquiry, was unjustifiable state violence. David Cameron apologised and there is now one British soldier standing trial for two of these deaths. 

For anyone from a community that has been on the receiving end of state crimes from British troops to wear a poppy that supports British troops, would be truly hypocritical. Far more so than switching from Northern Ireland to Ireland to play football.

In an era where we pin a poppy on the Cookie Monster and Basil Brush when on TV to avoid upsetting people, it takes a great deal of courage to go against the grain.

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

As I understand, it James McClean does not hate British people or support the IRA. He does not wear a poppy because he supports the IRA but because of the British part in the fighting in Derry including Bloody Sunday, which according to a British parliamentary inquiry, was unjustifiable state violence. David Cameron apologised and there is now one British soldier standing trial for two of these deaths. 

For anyone from a community that has been on the receiving end of state crimes from British troops to wear a poppy that supports British troops, would be truly hypocritical. Far more so than switching from Northern Ireland to Ireland to play football.

In an era where we pin a poppy on the Cookie Monster and Basil Brush when on TV to avoid upsetting people, it takes a great deal of courage to go against the grain.

I have no issue with him not wearing a poppy. Of course its not a protest, its a choice. His turning his back on the anthem was a demonstration of his protestation against the British state. Imagine the outcry if Lewis Hamilton, every time he won, turned his back on the German national anthem which is played because he drives for a German manufacturer.

Mostly people in Northern Ireland including those that live in the Derry area embrace the peace that has existed for the last two decades, its a lovely place to visit with lovely people, yet the actions of one person can be very detrimental. I am not saying he should go around waving the union flag, or singing the anthem, but don't behave in such an antagonistic way, it serves no purpose.

35 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

As a former Paratrooper myself and completing 4 tours amounting to over 3 years in Ulster the betrayal and hypocrisy of the British Government allowing soldier F to be dragged through the courts while IRA terrorists were granted pardons and letters of reassurance that there crimes carried out during the troubles would never be brought to court is a ducking disgrace......and I’m not to fond of McClean either ???

34 minutes ago, Barnetbyram said:

As a former Paratrooper myself and completing 4 tours amounting to over 3 years in Ulster the betrayal and hypocrisy of the British Government allowing soldier F to be dragged through the courts while IRA terrorists were granted pardons and letters of reassurance that there crimes carried out during the troubles would never be brought to court is a ducking disgrace......and I’m not to fond of McClean either ???

Spot on. Any Government that is willing to throw it's own Soldiers under the bus for putting their lives at risk in a conflict not of their making, whilst giving pardons to the people that are willing to blow up innocents should be up for treason in my opinion. And I'd be happy for McClean to go and rehabilitate at home after a career ending injury.

21 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Spot on. Any Government that is willing to throw it's own Soldiers under the bus for putting their lives at risk in a conflict not of their making, whilst giving pardons to the people that are willing to blow up innocents should be up for treason in my opinion. And I'd be happy for McClean to go and rehabilitate at home after a career ending injury.

So you advocate a soldier being able to shoot an unarmed man, a man who was clearly waving a white handkerchief (a white flag), going to the aid of a wounded man, with impunity do you, just because he is wearing a uniform? A man who valiantly put his own life at risk by firing 13 rounds indiscriminately into a crowd?

The Saville Inquiry stated that there was "no doubt" Soldier F had shot Patrick Doherty (31), a father-of-six who was unarmed.

Lord Saville also found there was "no doubt" Soldier F had shot an unarmed Bernard McGuigan (41) as he went to the aid of Mr Doherty, waving a white handkerchief.

Soldier F admitted at the inquiry he had shot Michael Kelly (17), saying he had only fired at people with bombs or weapons – but Lord Saville concluded Mr Kelly was unarmed.

Of course you do.

Coming soon: @ossieram and his support for the British troops at Amritsar.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

So you advocate a soldier being able to shoot an unarmed man, a man who was clearly waving a white handkerchief (a white flag), going to the aid of a wounded man, with impunity do you, just because he is wearing a uniform? A man who valiantly put his own life at risk by firing 13 rounds indiscriminately into a crowd?

Of course you do.

there was supposed to have been a line drawn under the whole episode. Thats why the rrsehole mcghee was never charged with the murder of the soldier in Derby.

Sith Happens

There is a lot of support for 'Soldier F' in Northern Ireland, its actually becoming a divisive issue.

I do wonder to what end the value of prosecuting someone who must now be around 70 i would think for something that occurred when he was a very young man. I understand the anger over what happened, but it seems like someone must be punished regardless. If anyone is to be held culpable for what happened should it not be those that were in charge that allowed the situation to get out of control?

How often do we discuss Warrington compared with Bloody Sunday? As far as I am aware no one has ever been held to account for the deaths of innocents in that atrocity and how many in the communities that have so much anger over innocents dying in there own communities have hidden those that committed atrocities such as Warrington?

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Yea no problem with that, it makes up for all of those that have been told it's fine to kill innocents and walk the streets without the fear of ever being arrested for it.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Of course you do.

He's pointing out that in a changed environment where IRA members who were found guilty of murdering innocent victims (not necessary soldiers) were pardoned, how does it make sense to hold members of the British Army to account for similar atrocities?

It's inconsistent & divisive within Ulster as Unionists will clearly side with British soldiers - it just extends the bitterness & allegations of favourable treatment for 'one side'. Communities have moved on.

On 27/03/2019 at 16:13, Highgate said:

Also the situation is complicated for Northern Ireland (isn't it always?).  Players from a Nationalist background have often felt alienated by the openly unionist/loyalist nature of the fans.  Considerable efforts are being made to try an improve that situation, but the Northern Ireland football anthem is still God Save the Queen for example.  That's not easy listening for a nationalist from Derry as I'm sure you can understand.  That's why it's not strange for nationalists from the North to switch allegiance to the Republic.  Shane Duffy is another Derry lad who made the switch.

You have to question why any Nationalist would want to play for NI.

https://youtu.be/3LzJ_XkM6ik

7 hours ago, Pearson. said:

You have to question why any Nationalist would want to play for NI.

https://youtu.be/3LzJ_XkM6ik

Yeah, there is still sectarianism, no doubt. But to their credit the Northern Ireland Football Association are not shy in condemning this sort of behaviour.  It's a lot better than it was, at least you don't hear that sort of chant in Windsor Park anymore. 

To be honest i think the anthem remains the biggest deterrent for a lot of Nationalist players.  A change of tune needed I reckon.  Perhaps something by Van Morrison would do the trick?  ?

Proper snowflake thing to whinge about this... "we only want players who want to play for Ireland". He's always considered himself Irish rather than British this is no secret so why do we act shocked when he took the chance to represent Ireland internationally...? 

A storm whipped up over nowt because its him as per. 

Also I notice that it's only 7 months until remembrance day and he hasn't bothered to wear a poppy :@ HaPPy tO TaKE a BRitIsH WaGE :@ grr 

Archived