James McClean Hypocrisy

So the same guy who played under 21 football for Northern Ireland, the same guy who now plays for The Republic of Ireland

Who also likes to court controversy and play ‘the woe is me’ card has come out and criticised Declan Rice for switching to England, the land of his birth. 

Where was he born I hear you ask? The Republic of Ireland??‍♂️??‍♂️ Nope Derry, HYPOCRITICAL TW@!!

682D0B11-D757-477C-8A22-26009559446C.jpeg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realise McClean had represented Northern Ireland in U21 football. Even though I agree with the sentiment, McClean really isn't in any position to be the one making the argument. It's weird though, I thought McClean would be a big fan of Rice after his love of the IRA was revealed.

Sith Happens

It is a bit different in Ireland as you can choose who you want to represent regardless of parental background.

It happens in a lot of sports, for example Rory Mcilroy was going to represent the republic in the olympics before he withdrew.

Quiz time - Can anyone guess who said the following about playing for Northern Ireland in 2012?

"When you're young and you get an international call-up, you think 'wow, it's international football', and you see it as sort of bragging," Redacted claimed. "It's obviously a step on the ladder as well, it can help your career if you're seen playing international football. If the Republic had have come in, there wouldn't have been a decision to make. That was based on obviously trying to progress my career."

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Quiz time - Can anyone guess who said the following about playing for Northern Ireland in 2012?

"When you're young and you get an international call-up, you think 'wow, it's international football', and you see it as sort of bragging," Redacted claimed. "It's obviously a step on the ladder as well, it can help your career if you're seen playing international football. If the Republic had have come in, there wouldn't have been a decision to make. That was based on obviously trying to progress my career."

Cyrus O'Christie?

If you choose to play international football at senior level for one country there should be no decision to make .  It really is that simple.  Everything get's very simplified in these argument's as well regarding grandparent's etc.  I'm half English/ half Irish .  My dad and grandparent's are English on one side .  My grandparent's on my mum's are Irish .  My mum was born here, that does not make me 3/4 English .  I'm still half Irish by lineage.  As are many player's who choose to play football for the Republic.  As time goes on that lineage may be watered down so to speak which is why the grandparent rule applies .  The same will apply to Cyrus O' Christie.  

8 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

So the same guy who played under 21 football for Northern Ireland, the same guy who now plays for The Republic of Ireland

Who also likes to court controversy and play ‘the woe is me’ card has come out and criticised Declan Rice for switching to England, the land of his birth. 

Where was he born I hear you ask? The Republic of Ireland??‍♂️??‍♂️ Nope Derry, HYPOCRITICAL TW@!!

That's not really fair.

Those were underage caps and the whole argument is about whether someone who has senior international caps should be able to switch to another senior international team.  Rice had 3 for the Republic of Ireland.  Players swapping allegiance before reaching senior level is not unusual at all.

Also the situation is complicated for Northern Ireland (isn't it always?).  Players from a Nationalist background have often felt alienated by the openly unionist/loyalist nature of the fans.  Considerable efforts are being made to try an improve that situation, but the Northern Ireland football anthem is still God Save the Queen for example.  That's not easy listening for a nationalist from Derry as I'm sure you can understand.  That's why it's not strange for nationalists from the North to switch allegiance to the Republic.  Shane Duffy is another Derry lad who made the switch.

It's a unfortunate situation for Northern Ireland Football Association and one they are trying to address.

As for Rice, nobody should have any problem with him switching to England for whatever reason. He was born and raised there, it's a natural choice, and there is also a far greater chance of footballing success.  The only problem people have is that he probably should have made his mind up sooner, before he played at senior level and that he should not have left the decision hanging for so long.  So the decision is absolutely fine, just the timing and the manner of it leaves a bit of a bad taste.

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It is a bit different in Ireland as you can choose who you want to represent regardless of parental background.

It happens in a lot of sports, for example Rory Mcilroy was going to represent the republic in the olympics before he withdrew.

In Northern Ireland you can, that's true.  Not so in the Republic though.

McIlroy would never choose to represent the Republic alone however, he is quite British really.  At the Olympics, the Ireland team in fact represents all of Ireland. So NI is actually represented twice, with athletes from there free to represent whoever they wish.

McIlroy was used to representing Ireland at amateur level, because in Golf it's an all Ireland team and there is no UK or GB team (rather England, Scotland and Wales).  In the Olympics it was Ireland (all of it) or GB & NI (as it should be called), so that presented a dilemma for him.  He finally chose Ireland, but then concocted an excuse to pull out of the whole thing it seems.  As ever with Northern Ireland, things are complicated.

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

McIlroy would never choose to represent the Republic alone however, he is quite British really.  At the Olympics, the Ireland team in fact represents all of Ireland. So NI is actually represented twice, with athletes from there free to represent whoever they wish.

McIlroy was used to representing Ireland at amateur level, because in Golf it's an all Ireland team and there is no UK or GB team (rather England, Scotland and Wales).  In the Olympics it was Ireland (all of it) or GB & NI (as it should be called), so that presented a dilemma for him.  He finally chose Ireland, but then concocted an excuse to pull out of the whole thing it seems.  As ever with Northern Ireland, things are complicated.

I think Rory's decision to play for Ireland was the correct one, as you say that was the golfing association he'd grown up playing under, and supported by, so it made sense to represent them when the time came.

Similar case with Rugby isn't it, do NI rugby players get to choose their country, or do they just play for Ireland?

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Highgate said:

You are right i thought they could both choose,  either way it supports his decision. In fact it looks like the rule came in after his NI games so even more supports it.

I dont think McIlroy decision was concocted, wasnt he with someone at the time and made the decision based on the zika virus? 

McClean doesn't help himself mind, no need to speak out.

33 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think Rory's decision to play for Ireland was the correct one, as you say that was the golfing association he'd grown up playing under, and supported by, so it made sense to represent them when the time came.

Similar case with Rugby isn't it, do NI rugby players get to choose their country, or do they just play for Ireland?

Rugby Union players from Northern Ireland have no choice to make really.  It's Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales.  There is only one option available to them. If it was Ireland or UK then ..or even Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland they could choose based on the fact they are entitled to either British or Irish citizenship.

When they play for Ireland at home they then have to suffer the indignity (for unionists) of having to listen to the Republic's national anthem.  Not fair surely, the rugby anthem (an equally bland tune) should be enough I would have thought.

49 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

You are right i thought they could both choose,  either way it supports his decision. In fact it looks like the rule came in after his NI games so even more supports it.

I dont think McIlroy decision was concocted, wasnt he with someone at the time and made the decision based on the zika virus? 

McClean doesn't help himself mind, no need to speak out.

Concocted was probably an unkind exaggeration to be fair, I've really don't his thoughts on it.  I just felt he was never fully committed to it and he took the out when it was presented to him, but I'm just guessing.  It probably didn't help that the Olympics isn't that prestigious for Golf as it is for some other sports. It seemed to be only a few golfers and tennis players that withdrew from the Olympics because of fears relating to the Zika virus.

Oh and McClean definitely doesn't help himself,  he should have just left it be.

So I’ve got a mate who was born and raised in England, but both his parents are Irish, born in Ireland. Does that make him English or Irish? He certainly identifies more as Irish. What’s more confusing is that he married a Belgian. He’s got two kids that were born and raised in Belgium. Does that make them half Belgian and half English, or half Belgian and half Irish? They come back to England to visit their grand parents, who live here, so they don’t really have much need to ever go to Ireland. But they have about as much connection to England as you might to Spain if your grandparents had bought a retirement villa out there. 

Thats ones always got me scratching my head. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

So I’ve got a mate who was born and raised in England, but both his parents are Irish, born in Ireland. Does that make him English or Irish? He certainly identifies more as Irish. What’s more confusing is that he married a Belgian. He’s got two kids that were born and raised in Belgium. Does that make them half Belgian and half English, or half Belgian and half Irish? They come back to England to visit their grand parents, who live here, so they don’t really have much need to ever go to Ireland. But they have about as much connection to England as you might to Spain if your grandparents had bought a retirement villa out there. 

Thats ones always got me scratching my head. 

Your mate is Irish I guess, seeing as his parents are and he identifies as such  And seeing as he married a Belgian, then the children you could say are half Belgian, half Irish...although they'd presumably identify more with Belgium given that they were born there.  No reason to consider them English really, although under FIFA rules they could surely declare for England if they so wished !

Have i just attempted to answer a rhetorical question?

James McClean hates the UK. He hates our Queen. He hates our flag. He hates our national anthem. He hates our Armed Forces.

He has worked in England for years, on big wages hence he pays big taxes, much more than I'll ever pay in my lifetime.

So thanks James, for helping fund our Armed Forces and everything else British that taxes fund.

Hypocrite. ?? 

7 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Watch MON sell Carvalho and buy this ******* 

Can see it happening ?

As a long standing Derby fan there are very few things [disasters , pestilence etc ]that I wouldn't wish on you red dogs but even I draw the line at that ******.

Archived