Things I'm glad I tried (after years of not knowing about)

BaaLocks

Watching live football on my own. For all my life it had been a social experience with mates, alcohol, pies and banter but only recently I realised you can really enjoy watching a game of football both sober and alone.

I read my book on the train on the way up, watched the match with a level of interest and intensity I hadn't realised was possible without hollering at the top of my lungs and returned home neither stinking of booze nor full of Greggs pastry and various offcuts of cows innards.

On reflection, for a Derby fan this is probably a practise best adopted in the opening half of the season before reverting to drunken ignorance once February comes around, but still...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/03/2019 at 10:28, BaaLocks said:

Watching live football on my own. For all my life it had been a social experience with mates, alcohol, pies and banter but only recently I realised you can really enjoy watching a game of football both sober and alone.

I read my book on the train on the way up, watched the match with a level of interest and intensity I hadn't realised was possible without hollering at the top of my lungs and returned home neither stinking of booze nor full of Greggs pastry and various offcuts of cows innards.

On reflection, for a Derby fan this is probably a practise best adopted in the opening half of the season before reverting to drunken ignorance once February comes around, but still...

I also watch games on my own, well along with 20,000 other but, I know what you mean. However, as I drive to games, I can't read on the journey so I save my book reading to during the game itself. ?

On 02/03/2019 at 11:45, David said:

American football/NFL. I said it was rubbish without knowing much about it, now I do it’s great. My Sunday’s feel empty without it.

A few years back now but, I've actually watched a few games in the British American Football Association. Tamworth Phoenix are now actually quite good (relatively speaking. Obviously they're miles below US college football standard let alone the NFL). Winners of the Brit Bowl in 2017 and beaten finalists in 2018.

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I also watch games on my own, well along with 20,000 other but, I know what you mean. However, as I drive to games, I can't read on the journey so I save my book reading to during the game itself. ?

Put it in your back pocket from next week on, this is the start of the comeback......

• 1 month later...

American football/NFL. I said it was rubbish without knowing much about it, now I do it’s great. My Sunday’s feel empty without it.

I'm still in that camp, despite my in-laws telling me for years that I should love it. What is the key? There must be a pathway or a moment when it all clicks? I've tried to watch it but it seems so boring. But I love watching most sports so any advice welcome!

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I'm still in that camp, despite my in-laws telling me for years that I should love it. What is the key? There must be a pathway or a moment when it all clicks? I've tried to watch it but it seems so boring. But I love watching most sports so any advice welcome!

Time. It won’t click after 1 or 2 games, in fact the first couple will leave you utterly clueless as to what’s going on. But as you watch more, pick up the rules, understand what’s going off it just clicks and you start to look forward to Sunday’s. 

And when I say learn the rules that’s not easy as it sounds as there’s so so many!

You also have the draft, salary caps and all kinds of madness that I haven’t even begun to understand. 

Oh and Fantasy Football is huge over there, it’s almost a game within the game and a great gateway into who’s who.

Problem is it’s on quite late, you have 3 games on a Sunday night where if you have work only the first is realistically watchable. Working from home I’ve had the advantage of rolling off the sofa at what time I please.

Opposite for me I am afraid. I used to love watching NFL as a kid, then I grew up and now detest it.

Sorry, so drawn out and boring. 1 Hour game dragged out for 4 - 5 hours. noooooo

Each to their own though

8 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Opposite for me I am afraid. I used to love watching NFL as a kid, then I grew up and now detest it.

Sorry, so drawn out and boring. 1 Hour game dragged out for 4 - 5 hours. noooooo

Each to their own though

Adverts can be a pain, another game where the money has probably ruined it but it’s all I’ve known so it is what it is.

Would love to see it played over a shorter time, be better for the European audience which in turn would generate better TV deals as it becomes more popular. Clearly something they do want with the London games.

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Olives. Used to detest them but then I had an epiphany and now love them. But green ones not the revolting black ones!

This seems to be a really common thing when you reach 30ish - happened to me at that age and lots of other people I know

A bit like the way beer tastes gross when you are a little kid and suddenly tastes absolutely fine when you hit adoloescence ?

5 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Made them?  Or grew them..

well first you grow them then you cure them, inedible from the tree.  I've got 3 olive trees, orange tree, 2 lemon trees (1 producing red lemons), a lime , 2 avocados, a Brazilian guava and a pomegranate. 

Archived