Doesn’t look like we’re getting a centre back

DCFC27

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rynny said:

The other thing is with FFP the sanctions can be very severe, there has even been talk that it could include a points deduction. Imagine how bad it would be if we miss out on the play offs because of a points deduction, that would be the worst scenario on missing out for me. 

That would be Mel's fault for recklessly spending on a 3rd centre back who ended up just sitting on the bench for 18 games.

27 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

But he must know what is in the accounts-or be a clairvoyant?

Whats happened in the past 12 months to suggest we have gained the extra £xm to take us away from the FFP limit that we have been operating on? 

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

Whats happened in the past 12 months to suggest we have gained the extra £xm to take us away from the FFP limit that we have been operating on? 

I think it is obvious that a wage bill of £34 million against a lower turnover is unsustainable, and the owner is quite justified in wanting to reduce or eliminate the substantial amount by which he subsidises the club.  In addition Derby don't operate on a level playing field as clubs with parachute payments are able to be more active in the transfer market .I am pleased with signing of Andy King as he is an experienced player who has won a promotion with Leicester. However it is disappointing that the priority signing of a centre half couldn't have been clinched given there was a month to carry out the transaction.

I am realistic and I don't want derby to go the same way as Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday who have both spent money they didn't have trying to clinch promotion. However it is difficult to see how Derby can get promoted in the current scenario. It will take some shrewd loan signings , good home grown talent, a few bargains , some money, and sound management.Bournemouth managed it albeit they fell foul of FFP.

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

I think it is obvious that a wage bill of £34 million against a lower turnover is unsustainable, and the owner is quite justified in wanting to reduce or eliminate the substantial amount by which he subsidises the club.  In addition Derby don't operate on a level playing field as clubs with parachute payments are able to be more active in the transfer market .I am pleased with signing of Andy King as he is an experienced player who has won a promotion with Leicester. However it is disappointing that the priority signing of a centre half couldn't have been clinched given there was a month to carry out the transaction.

I am realistic and I don't want derby to go the same way as Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday who have both spent money they didn't have trying to clinch promotion. However it is difficult to see how Derby can get promoted in the current scenario. It will take some shrewd loan signings , good home grown talent, a few bargains , some money, and sound management.Bournemouth managed it albeit they fell foul of FFP.

So Bournemouth didn't really do it then?

Just now, VulcanRam said:

Everyone's going on about Wisdom being the natural reserve, but I'd much rather see Huddlestone play centre half than anyone else in the squad. I always thought he was very good at it.

He played there a few times for us when he was young, and always looked very competent.

2 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

He played there a few times for us when he was young, and always looked very competent.

I remember it well, and there was always a debate about his position. 

His natural skill and passing ability would always lend himself to becoming a midfielder, but as a stand-in should anything happen to Keogh or Tomori, he'd top my list over Evans or Wisdom. Good on the ball, strong in the air, lack of pace not a major issue in that position if he's got strong positional sense.

31 minutes ago, Ram of Steel said:

So Bournemouth didn't really do it then?

Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, Cardiff managed to get promoted without throwing wads of money at it.Bournemouth overspent but given the size of the club promotion was a massive achievement.

Just now, Harrowram said:

Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, Cardiff managed to get promoted without throwing wads of money at it.Bournemouth overspent but given the size of the club promotion was a massive achievement.

Bournemouth still have an FFP fine over their heads. They overspent massively.

Watford are part of a group of clubs with the same owners who transfer players between them, thus circumnavigating FFP. Indeed, it was their loan activity which brought a tightening of the loan rules.

Burnley and Cardiff both had parachute payments - although they were also brilliantly managed. 

The club who probably stand as the best example are Huddersfield, although they did amazingly well in the transfer market to allow significant spending.

I don't believe that it is now possible to get promoted on a shoestring. Clubs have to spend a lot to get promoted. With FFP, our only real hope is to sell players for huge fees and use the money to strengthen.

Bournemouth bought sensibly and Callum Wilson is worth far more than they paid. Cardiff overspent during their one season in the Premier league but didn't spend very much to get promoted. Homegrown talent,loans and bargains seems to be the solution.We are back where we were in 2014 with good loan signings, homegrown players and shrewd signings.

1 minute ago, bristolram said:

I'd go and get a free agent until the end of the season. Ex Stoke CB Philipp Wollscheid is available 

I'd be wary of a player that's been a free agent for a full year, tbh.

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'd be wary of a player that's been a free agent for a full year, tbh.

Yea agree strange situation Ex German international, we just need someone to cover and I'm sure many free agents would snap at the chance to come to Frank Lampard's Derby County 

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Or you end up like Birmingham - where you have to get FA approval for every deal, which can take days, including giving new contracts to players you already own.

Weren't they only allowed to sign 5 players this window as well? I'm sure I read/heard that Burnley wanted to buy Che Adams and loan him back to them but couldn't happen because they had reached their limit. 

Archived