Will MM sanction a CB for Frank

Curtains

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well FFP looks a real problem for the Rams this season. 

Maybe next season will be different.

Oh look, more speculation based on zero evidence! 

We didn’t get a CB in because we didn’t want to pay over the odds in the overly inflated January window. It really isn’t difficult to comprehend. 

We will be fine- Wisdom had a very good season before joining us as a CB-  it is us that decided to put him back as a right back.

Also Evans can play CB.  It's not ideal i will admit that but Keogh never seems to be injured and if Tomori was to get injured which is a big IF then we would cope with either of these 2.

Watch both get injured now I have said that then yes we are in 'poo street'

12 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Were asking for trouble one injury to either centre back and were up poo street.

Looks like FFP may be the issue but if not FL is not going to keep putting up with this,yet another midfielder bought in for what reason lord only knows and we have no cover at centre back and little cover at right back,ludicrous 

Our current midfielders:

Defensive type roles: Thorne (out on loan), Ledley (released), Evans, Huddlestone, Bird. Perfect. Hudds to leave at end of the season probably, with Thorne back to his best.

Other 2: Butterfield (out on loan), Johnson (out of favour), Bryson (love him, but past his best), Mount (currently injured, and only on loan until the end of the season, Holmes (not really sure if he's a midfielder in the Mount mould, or a winger, really), Sibley (bit young to rely on in a promotion run-in), Elsnik (out on loan).

So if you take out the players on loan, what have we got? We need balance in the midfield, and "balance" appears to be a box to box player, and a playmaker. Hence Bryson and Mount being current first choices. We don't have another box-to-box midfielder with the possible exception of Johnson, but it's clearly been decided he doesn't have a future at the club after he was caught eating during a match!With Mount, we can replace with Holmes, but who do we put in for Bryson? 

Further to that, the question to be asked is "is King an improvement on what we've got?" and in short... yes. A midfield three of Evans/Hudds, King and Mount? Pretty damn good if you ask me, and at the very least it takes the pressure off Bryson having to play 3 times a week with his legs going!

I think it’s important to differentiate between what Mel might or might not have sanctioned and what happened.  We clearly have limits on what we can spend, which is frustrating, but all noises form the club (and deadline day rumour mills) indicated that the club were trying to do business for a CB.  I assume that Mel was happy for Frank to spend as much as he was permitted to do a deal, but if deals aren’t there to be done, then what’s the point.  I don’t think any of the players we were linked with were getting people too excited.  I also don’t think anybody was coming in to take Keogh or Tomori’s place, so we might never have seen them play anyway.  

I still think letting Pearce go was odd, but I’m sure the club had its reasons, whether they be financial or sentimental (i.e letting him go just to get games).  It was probably a calculated risk, but we’ve seen many times that getting players in to replace those you’ve already let go is a damn risky business (see Bryson and the chap from Birmingham whose name I can’t spell).  Perhaps we just needed him and others gone to pay Ashley? 

I’m still not convinced this will have a big impact on our season.  I remember Tom H playing at CB before he left us and I remain convinced that this is his best position.  Some have said he can’t run.  Neither coulD McGrath, but he knew exactly where to stand!  At a pinch I still think Tom H could do a good job there pro temp if absolutely necessary.

There’s also the academy.  It’s what it’s there for after all.

37 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Oh look, more speculation based on zero evidence! 

We didn’t get a CB in because we didn’t want to pay over the odds in the overly inflated January window. It really isn’t difficult to comprehend. 

You are joking right 

29 minutes ago, Simsy said:

We will be fine- Wisdom had a very good season before joining us as a CB-  it is us that decided to put him back as a right back.

Also Evans can play CB.  It's not ideal i will admit that but Keogh never seems to be injured and if Tomori was to get injured which is a big IF then we would cope with either of these 2.

Watch both get injured now I have said that then yes we are in 'poo street'

You have tempted fate there mate 

13 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I think it’s important to differentiate between what Mel might or might not have sanctioned and what happened.  We clearly have limits on what we can spend, which is frustrating, but all noises form the club (and deadline day rumour mills) indicated that the club were trying to do business for a CB.  I assume that Mel was happy for Frank to spend as much as he was permitted to do a deal, but if deals aren’t there to be done, then what’s the point.  I don’t think any of the players we were linked with were getting people too excited.  I also don’t think anybody was coming in to take Keogh or Tomori’s place, so we might never have seen them play anyway.  

I still think letting Pearce go was odd, but I’m sure the club had its reasons, whether they be financial or sentimental (i.e letting him go just to get games).  It was probably a calculated risk, but we’ve seen many times that getting players in to replace those you’ve already let go is a damn risky business (see Bryson and the chap from Birmingham whose name I can’t spell).  Perhaps we just needed him and others gone to pay Ashley? 

I’m still not convinced this will have a big impact on our season.  I remember Tom H playing at CB before he left us and I remain convinced that this is his best position.  Some have said he can’t run.  Neither coulD McGrath, but he knew exactly where to stand!  At a pinch I still think Tom H could do a good job there pro temp if absolutely necessary.

There’s also the academy.  It’s what it’s there for after all.

Who from the academy is ready at CB .

Just asking 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You are joking right 

Why would he be?.

There's a reason why Crouch to Burnley was one of the main headlines yesterday. Most clubs have had their fingers burned by previous failures in the January window. It's risky & you pay over the odds, most of the time.

Let one of our youngsters sit on the bench instead of Pearce and never look like getting a game (hopefully).

Just now, Wolfie said:

Why would he be?.

There's a reason why Crouch to Burnley was one of the main headlines yesterday. Most clubs have had their fingers burned by previous failures in the January window. It's risky & you pay over the odds, most of the time.

Let one of our youngsters sit on the bench instead of Pearce and never look like getting a game (hopefully).

Who that’s what I’m asking. .

Wassall ! 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Ok let’s be reasonable.

Who replaces an injured Keogh or Tomori and please don’t say Wisdom ,Huddlestone or Evans and who plays RB  tonight. 

Why are those not viable options? That’s what cover is. They are three people who can play in more than one position. 

48 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Strange how the resident accountants on here kept saying that FFP was not going to be an issue for us. Everything was sweet.

No they didn't, they told you that the football club had no debt. You seem to struggle to understand the difference between debt and FFP restrictions.

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Why are those not viable options? That’s what cover is. They are three people who can play in more than one position. 

None of them are viable IMO .

Bateman ,Babos ,Wassall would be better from the U23s than that gamble. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

None of them are viable IMO .

Bareman ,Babos ,Wassall would be better from the U23s than that gamble. 

Babos is a diminutive attacking midfielder.

Max Hunt is the most 1st team ready of the U23s, though probably more of a risk than Wisdom or Evans.

Just now, Carnero said:

Babos is a diminutive attacking midfielder.

Max Hunt is the most 1st team ready of the U23s, though probably more of a risk than Wisdom or Evans.

Babos has played in defense I’ve seen him for the U23s there .

Let’s not get into semantics.

We needed a CB we let Pearce go and Davies is injured. 

Hopefully the gamble of Tomori and Keogh staying fit will work. 

FFP I would say is effecting Derby IMO 

Archived