Whose Rams?

FindernRam

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

Oh I know absolutely, but you’d like to think more bums in seats is better as more money directly in the pockets of DCFC. 

In terms of the league however, I don’t think we’ve been on Sky any more than usual this season. Though it’d be interesting to compare.  

hmmm perhaps I should have said media coverage.  The attendances are a puzzle but probably worth a thread of their own?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Crowd attendance has been weird this year. 

It's not like it's got lower as the season progressed. It started low and has just stayed down there. Really odd.

How accurate these numbers below are I don’t know, but comparing recent games on the BBC using similar dates they are pretty much like for like.

Average attendance according to Transfermarkt.

18/19 - 26,776
17/18 - 27,175

Couple of things to throw in would be the Sky Red button and iFollow, you would need the away numbers to see what percentage is down to none travelling fans, plus added featured games on Sky.

You also need to factor in such as losing clubs like Sunderland to League One that travel well and gaining clubs like Blackburn, also clubs with ongoing disputes with owners like Bolton. 

Added costs to fans with away games to Man Utd and Chelsea in the cup, some may have prioritised those over league games. Accrington Stanley even sold out within minutes. 

To be honest I did expect to see a bump in numbers with the Lampard effect, all we heard last season was how fans were staying away because of Rowettball.

Just now, David said:

How accurate these numbers below are I don’t know, but comparing recent games on the BBC using similar dates they are pretty much like for like.

18/19 - 26,776
17/18 - 27,175

Couple of things to throw in would be the Sky Red button and iFollow, you would need the away numbers to see what percentage is down to none travelling fans.

You also need to factor in such as losing clubs like Sunderland to League One that travel well and gaining clubs like Blackburn, also clubs with ongoing disputes with owners like Bolton. 

Added costs to fans with away games to Man Utd and Chelsea in the cup, some may have prioritised those over league games. Accrington Stanley even sold out within minutes. 

To be honest I did expect to see a bump in numbers with the Lampard effect, all we heard last season was how fans were staying away because of Rowettball.

were 17/18 figures overstated or was that the year before?

4 minutes ago, David said:

18/19 - 26,776
17/18 - 27,175

Couple of things to throw in would be the Sky Red button and iFollow, you would need the away numbers to see what percentage is down to none travelling fans, plus added featured games on Sky.

I could also just be a matter of where the empty seats are nowadays. As I don't attend any more, I don't pay attention to which seats cost what etc. - all I've really been noticing is a lot more empty seats in the lower east stand opposite the cameras. 

It could just be that the empty seats used to be higher up, or in the corners the camera can't see.

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I've got a scarf somewhere. Oh and I had a coffee.

My views on Morris are well known. The post was a shameless attemp to gain 'likes', but like the OP. Both failed. 

I know you think he's made huge mistakes (as I do also). Surely you can acknowledge that he has done a lot of good things for the club other than a scarf and a cup of coffee though?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know you think he's made huge mistakes (as I do also). Surely you can acknowledge that he has done a lot of good things for the club other than a scarf and a cup of coffee though?

Can't deny he has thrown money at it. Nice training facilities etal. 

He's backed his managers.. Can't argue but equally if the appointment was crap, he's a fool. 

I applaud his hope to bring youth through but feel he has been forced into this.

Other than that I am struggling. He's made more poor call than good ones.

40 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

He's backed his managers.. Can't argue but equally if the appointment was crap, he's a fool. 

I applaud his hope to bring youth through but feel he has been forced into this.

Most people seemed reasonably happy with the managerial appointments at the start of their reign. Only Mac2 seemed a bit strange. Clement was a top level coach ready to make the step-up, Rowett was a pragmatic manager doing very well previously on a restricted budget, and Pearson had got Leicester promoted and had sown the seeds of their Premier League winning team. Lampard is a bit of a shot in the dark but is clearly a smart operator and not a "crap" appointment in my opinion. 

These were certainly not foolish appointments. 

Ultimately a good owner lives or dies by their choice of manager and this is often more luck than judgement. 

21 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Most people seemed reasonably happy with the managerial appointments at the start of their reign. Only Mac2 seemed a bit strange. Clement was a top level coach ready to make the step-up, Rowett was a pragmatic manager doing very well previously on a restricted budget, and Pearson had got Leicester promoted and had sown the seeds of their Premier League winning team. Lampard is a bit of a shot in the dark but is clearly a smart operator and not a "crap" appointment in my opinion. 

These were certainly not foolish appointments. 

Ultimately a good owner lives or dies by their choice of manager and this is often more luck than judgement. 

No consistency in the appointments. The only one I really agreed with was Clement, as you say top level coach and fitted everything uncle bumble was spouting on about. Okay it did not work out for whatever reason, I can accept that. WTF happened after that though? This type, that type, the old type, the sargent major type, the boring football type (and yes he was known for that @ Brum). The 'I've run out of types, type.. Those I cannot understand, we have been bumbling around for years... No ethos, no identity, now no money.

Bad luck? Maybe but then he surrounds himself in the boardroom with equally dodgy geezers it appears. Rush now appears to be the anti-christ.. The Finace Director, in my opinion, has got away with a lot.. Mr Teflon himself.. More bad luck or is there a common denominator?

There, I was not going to get drawn on this.. Bloody hell. 

5 hours ago, Papahet said:

His spending, or rather his tenure hasn't taken us anywhere though . We was on track under GSE, steady investment. Not being mugged off in the market. FFP was never a factor. Oh and we reached a play off final, something we've failed to do since under MM. 

We don't have a pot to pee in thanks to the endless spending under Clement -  A major amateur mistake and we are paying for to this day. 

I just don't see a long term plan or the vision at the club since he came in ?

Jeez ,, GSE wanted OUT , they had realised that owning a championship club was a money pit , they did not want to be putting more money in ,, now I’m not knocking them as they came in and did a bloody good job but don’t think for one minute that they were happy to keep on funding a money losing championship club

1 hour ago, Archied said:

now I’m not knocking them as they came in and did a bloody good job

Opinions, eh? I thought they did a crap job and had no idea about how football worked. Some Americans look for instant returns from little outlay; they didn't get it and off they tootled when they got the opportunity. They were the wasted years!

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Clearing the mortgage on the ground to make us debt free?

Improving the facilities at Pride Park?

Engaging with the fans and acting upon suggestions? 

You say backing his managers has made him a fool because the appointments were crap. How would he know they were crap until he's given them his backing and seen how they performed? FWIW I think both the Pearson and Rowett appointments went against everything MM has led us to believe. I would also argue that the majority of fans have been in favour of every appointment.

You say you feel he has been forced to bring youth through but this is one thing that he has always said, through his whole tenure. It would also make his large input into the academy pretty pointless if he was against bringing youth through.

In my opinion his bad calls have all been about the managers.

In terms of league position we still are where we were when he took over so it doesn't appear his bad decisions have cost us that dearly. 

Overall think the positives far outweigh the negatives but fully understand why some fans may see it differently. 

46 minutes ago, KCG said:

Opinions, eh? I thought they did a crap job and had no idea about how football worked. Some Americans look for instant returns from little outlay; they didn't get it and off they tootled when they got the opportunity. They were the wasted years!

Half agree with you in terms of them not knowing just what they were taking on and how hard it would be to get a return on their outlay or just break even come to that,, that said I think they did a good job in arresting the downward spiral and bringing stability and a platform to build from but hey as you say it’s opinions ,for me they were very far from being bad guys considering some of the dross we have had own us

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

The Finace Director, in my opinion, has got away with a lot.. Mr Teflon himself

Finally, thought it was just me.

The man who signed off on every supposedly 'dodgy' Sam Rush deal according to the court filings.

He was either asleep at the wheel, curiously incurious on the details, or switched horses mid race.

Probably a debate for a different thread though.

GSE did want out, though.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Finally, thought it was just me.

The man who signed off on every supposedly 'dodgy' Sam Rush deal according to the court filings.

He was either asleep at the wheel, curiously incurious on the details, or switched horses mid race.

Probably a debate for a different thread though.

GSE did want out, though.

Wasn't the accusation that Rush signed off on deals without authority?

I would be guessing that it was Pearce that brought these transactions to MMs attention? 

Doesn't reflect well though that this took a couple of years to notice! 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Clearing the mortgage on the ground to make us debt free?

Okay.. Do we know 100% that there is nothing saying it's a loan of some sort?

Improving the facilities at Pride Park?

Heating in the concourse? 

Engaging with the fans and acting upon suggestions? 

Nothing new. If you mean those cringy fans forum things, I would not say they were positive at all. Not exactly ground breaking is it?

I must admit I am struggling to think of anything of substance hat he has acted on that was a fans idea. Happy to be proved wrong.

You say backing his managers has made him a fool because the appointments were crap. How would he know they were crap until he's given them his backing and seen how they performed? FWIW I think both the Pearson and Rowett appointments went against everything MM has led us to believe. I would also argue that the majority of fans have been in favour of every appointment.

It was the lack of focus and identity, what exactly was he looking for each time? He was like grass blowing in the wind making these choices. Add all that to the infamous 'Derby Way' debacle and you have a fool and his money.

In terms of league position we still are where we were when he took over so it doesn't appear his bad decisions have cost us that dearly. 

The Championship has been poor though. How we kept a play off place last season is a mystery. Same could be said of other seasons. Do you really think that Mac 1 to Rowett showed a team progressing or regressing?

Overall think the positives far outweigh the negatives but fully understand why some fans may see it differently

I see it differently, that's football. Always respected your view, if not always agreed with everything.

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would be guessing that it was Pearce that brought these transactions to MMs attention? 

To be honest that would worry me even more.. A business without controls. Incompetence of the highest order if that was anywhere near the truth.

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's a woolly area, and I'd guess we'll never know.

Football is an industry like no other, and standards that would be the norm in any other business seem to be disregarded to suit, so it's possible that was the way.

I'd still say it doesn't reflect well on the person in charge of financial proprietary, mind.

Archived