NFL 2019 Season

Day

Welcome Mike McCarthy...

200.gif

Seems a very premature appointment and not looking at the long term for the franchise. Did we even interview Riley? Meyer? Seems a bit meh. Not as meh as Jason Garrett but it's not a very sexy appointment. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Welcome Mike McCarthy...

200.gif

Seems a very premature appointment and not looking at the long term for the franchise. Did we even interview Riley? Meyer? Seems a bit meh. Not as meh as Jason Garrett but it's not a very sexy appointment. 

Apparently he’s been “working” on his coaching style ?‍♂️ He needs to have, he managed to turn a Rodgers led Packers into a terrible team.

if we were looking for a coach, he’s not who I’d want, but you never know.

Rams are going around sacking everyone now. 

Wade Phillips, as expected, has been let go after his contract expired. I'm still very much a student of the game, so I have mixed feelings because we did seem to get burned in some games and completely crumble. I read on Twitter that a lot of the frustration came from the lack of schemes on defence. I must admit it baffles me that Donald gets SOOOO much attention and we struggle to get other guys in places to take advantage. 

See below: 

We had eight games with teams less than 20 and eight games with teams more than 20 - most worryingly: Buccs 55, Cowboys 44 & Ravens 45. Skip Peete has also been let go, which is probably less surprising (RB Coach). 

I expect there could be more - it will be interesting to see who we bring in as DEF CO. I think we can get better than Phillips, but it would be easier to go backwards.

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Rams are going around sacking everyone now. 

Wade Phillips, as expected, has been let go after his contract expired. I'm still very much a student of the game, so I have mixed feelings because we did seem to get burned in some games and completely crumble. I read on Twitter that a lot of the frustration came from the lack of schemes on defence. I must admit it baffles me that Donald gets SOOOO much attention and we struggle to get other guys in places to take advantage. 

See below: 

We had eight games with teams less than 20 and eight games with teams more than 20 - most worryingly: Buccs 55, Cowboys 44 & Ravens 45. Skip Peete has also been let go, which is probably less surprising (RB Coach). 

I expect there could be more - it will be interesting to see who we bring in as DEF CO. I think we can get better than Phillips, but it would be easier to go backwards.

I think you were still 9th in defense though. He wasn't the issue... it was Goff. Rams could potentially be in an absolute mess if Goff continues his play. As good as McVay can be, you have no high draft picks and a quarterback on an insane contract he can't come close to playing up to. Recipe for disaster.

12 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Thoughts on Mike Nolan @SaintRam ?

Nothing concrete, just some rumours on Twitter doing the rounds he's joining up with McCarthy in Dallas. 

I have no thoughts, to be frank. The information on our coaching staff below the coordinator level is bare at best ? 

Our linebacker corps have been as good under him as they've ever been though. Hard to say if that's him or personnel but that should be a positive argument for him at this time.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I think you were still 9th in defense though. He wasn't the issue... it was Goff. Rams could potentially be in an absolute mess if Goff continues his play. As good as McVay can be, you have no high draft picks and a quarterback on an insane contract he can't come close to playing up to. Recipe for disaster.

9th is still poor considering the talent on that side of the ball. The Rams effectively lost two key members on the OL and used their capital on the defence. In 2017, we were the 3rd highest scoring team (28.9 per game) then went to 2nd (30.8 per game) and then dropped to 11th (24.6 per game).

The biggest difference was the OL. It needs the biggest focus this offseason. The rookies improved it towards the end of last season and we got back to our more typical 29 point a game mark in the last 5. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

9th is still poor considering the talent on that side of the ball. The Rams effectively lost two key members on the OL and used their capital on the defence. In 2017, we were the 3rd highest scoring team (28.9 per game) then went to 2nd (30.8 per game) and then dropped to 11th (24.6 per game).

The biggest difference was the OL. It needs the biggest focus this offseason. The rookies improved it towards the end of last season and we got back to our more typical 29 point a game mark in the last 5. 

That trade for Ramsay was awful too in hindsight. Basically give us Marcus Peters who turns into an All Pro.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

That trade for Ramsay was awful too in hindsight. Basically give us Marcus Peters who turns into an All Pro.

Peters had his moments at the Rams, but he was massively unreliable - he was the weak link in the DEF. Ramsey has been much better for us, plus Troy Hill has been excellent, so the big plays were reduced massively. We struggle to stop teams moving the chains when running the ball through. 

Peters has been good for the Ravens, but he wouldn't have been that guy for the Rams - no chance. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Peters had his moments at the Rams, but he was massively unreliable - he was the weak link in the DEF. Ramsey has been much better for us, plus Troy Hill has been excellent, so the big plays were reduced massively. We struggle to stop teams moving the chains when running the ball through. 

Peters has been good for the Ravens, but he wouldn't have been that guy for the Rams - no chance. 

He would have been with a better secondary around him. He thrives on being aggressive and needs to be able to do that. For us, he's our number 2 corner behind Humphrey and also has Earl Thomas over the top. For you, you didn't have another good corner and Weddle is finished. He's not a bad player at all, but you can't put him on an island. You gravely misused him.

48 minutes ago, Srg said:

He would have been with a better secondary around him. He thrives on being aggressive and needs to be able to do that. For us, he's our number 2 corner behind Humphrey and also has Earl Thomas over the top. For you, you didn't have another good corner and Weddle is finished. He's not a bad player at all, but you can't put him on an island. You gravely misused him.

You've arguably highlighted one of the reasons why Wade Phillips is out of a job. 

Troy Hill, Robey-Coleman, Aqib Talib, John Johnson all played regularly last year with Peters and are good players. Troy Hill, Jalen Ramsey, Robey-Coleman, John Johnson and Taylor Rapp going into next season is a hell of a secondary. Rapp and Johnson at safety, in particular, are top players. 

On 06/01/2020 at 13:28, Ambitious said:

I've never been so confident about predicting anything in my entire life. Ravens are winning the Super Bowl this year. The thought of anyone else winning it just seems preposterous.  

How much money you put on it?

On 06/01/2020 at 17:02, Mr Tibbs said:

Welcome Mike McCarthy...

200.gif

Anyone in mind that you wanted?

21 minutes ago, David said:

Anyone in mind that you wanted?

The two I mentioned excited me. Doesn’t even seem like we entertained either. 

Liked the sound of Riley but then his team got an absolute pasting in their biggest game of the season. It was LSU of course but to concede 63 points is pretty eye opening. 

Meyers record speaks for itself but like Riley they both have no NFL experience. By appointing McCarthy it appears that’s exactly what we were going for. League know how. A pretty good record to boot too. Maybe he will I’ll be the guy we need to get the best out of these players but there’s a bit of doubt after how it ended at GB and comments for certain players. I think he’ll be better than Garrett but could we have gone one better? We shall see. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The two I mentioned excited me. Doesn’t even seem like we entertained either. 

Liked the sound of Riley but then his team got an absolute pasting in their biggest game of the season. It was LSU of course but to concede 63 points is pretty eye opening. 

Meyers record speaks for itself but like Riley they both have no NFL experience. By appointing McCarthy it appears that’s exactly what we were going for. League know how. A pretty good record to boot too. Maybe he will I’ll be the guy we need to get the best out of these players but there’s a bit of doubt after how it ended at GB and comments for certain players. I think he’ll be better than Garrett but could we have gone one better? We shall see. 

Garrett would have drove me insane with his clapping, I know it’s become a meme but the guy looked a fool for it, now can you not be aware and think just stop

17 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Just like 2 years ago, our OC being interviewed for Head Coach jobs whilst we are in the play offs ??

Both our DC and OC are being too. Par for the course unfortunately. May just about manage to keep them both with Judge going to the Giants, just need to see what Cleveland are going to do.

36 minutes ago, Srg said:

Both our DC and OC are being too. Par for the course unfortunately. May just about manage to keep them both with Judge going to the Giants, just need to see what Cleveland are going to do.

Yeah, Panthers appointed Matt Rhule, before even interviewing Stefanski, which was good ? just waiting on what the Browns are going to do to

Archived