It seems obvious (to me)

sage

We haven't quite got the balance between attack and defence, between skill and physicality, between pressing and getting behind the ball. Yesterday as in many games, opposition attacks started from us losing possession in midfield/attack or the opposition picking up the vast majority of loose balls.

Yes we were unlucky with the offside decisions and yes Tomori didn't do well for the first 2 goals, especially the 2nd, but in terms of patterns of play and recurring circumstance, the opposition gaining possession when we are clearing our lines or committing to an attack, leads to intense pressure on our defence, who regularly have to deal with overwhelming attacks. Our centre backs have to mark the CFs cover our attacking FBs, pass more than anyone else and also take the ball into midfield.

So what are the solutions? There are 3

Since Forsyth got injured we have been left with 2 overly attacking full backs, who are often caught upfield. Lowe returning will only continue with this imbalance. You could argue that returning Wisdom to the team may help address this. I would suggest that the Wisdom of 4 years ago may have done, but he seems a long way off this. We need a new full back. Or two.

For me the most urgent problem is our inability to pick up loose balls and win 50/50s in midfield. Many point to Huddlestone's lack of pace as the biggest issue, however if a player of his ability had pace he would still be playing for Spurs and possibly England. All Championship players have flaws and managing them into a team is about a blend of abilities and covering flaws. Furthermore in our style of play our 'press' isn't in the DCM position. The DCM is a deep lying playmaker not a destroyer. The ball winners in our system play further upfield. Mount is our chance provider and does nick the ball away sometimes but is lightweight. So his partner needs to be a pacy, strong, energetic ballwinner. We have Bryson. We need a Darryl Powell or Leicester era Robbie Savage.

Our front 3 has been the section of our team which has seen the most changes of our team. The CF position has been Nugent or Marriott. Nugent tends to link play better but Marriott scores the goals. I feel that if Marriott plays we need a physical threat out wide like Waghorn or Bennett. When Nugent plays we need someone with pace who can also run in behind and/or beat a man and get a cross in. Josefzoon isn't looking good enough to start, so we missing someone here.

In summary we need a FB, a energetic ball winning CM to play alongside Mount and a pacy winger who can beat a man. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, sage said:

We haven't quite got the balance between attack and defence, between skill and physicality, between pressing and getting behind the ball. Yesterday as in many games, opposition attacks started from us losing possession in midfield/attack or the opposition picking up the vast majority of loose balls.

Yes we were unlucky with the offside decisions and yes Tomori didn't do well for the first 2 goals, especially the 2nd, but in terms of patterns of play and recurring circumstance, the opposition gaining possession when we are clearing our lines or committing to an attack, leads to intense pressure on our defence, who regularly have to deal with overwhelming attacks. Our centre backs have to mark the CFs cover our attacking FBs, pass more than anyone else and also take the ball into midfield.

So what are the solutions? There are 3

Since Forsyth got injured we have been left with 2 overly attacking full backs, who are often caught upfield. Lowe returning will only continue with this imbalance. You could argue that returning Wisdom to the team may help address this. I would suggest that the Wisdom of 4 years ago may have done, but he seems a long way off this. We need a new full back. Or two.

For me the most urgent problem is our inability to pick up loose balls and win 50/50s in midfield. Many point to Huddlestone's lack of pace as the biggest issue, however if a player of his ability had pace he would still be playing for Spurs and possibly England. All Championship players have flaws and managing them into a team is about a blend of abilities and covering flaws. Furthermore in our style of play our 'press' isn't in the DCM position. The DCM is a deep lying playmaker not a destroyer. The ball winners in our system play further upfield. Mount is our chance provider and does nick the ball away sometimes but is lightweight. So his partner needs to be a pacy, strong, energetic ballwinner. We have Bryson. We need a Darryl Powell or Leicester era Robbie Savage.

Our front 3 has been the section of our team which has seen the most changes of our team. The CF position has been Nugent or Marriott. Nugent tends to link play better but Marriott scores the goals. I feel that if Marriott plays we need a physical threat out wide like Waghorn or Bennett. When Nugent plays we need someone with pace who can also run in behind and/or beat a man and get a cross in. Josefzoon isn't looking good enough to start, so we missing someone here.

In summary we need a FB, a energetic ball winning CM to play alongside Mount and a pacy winger who can beat a man. 

I’d agree,

I think in the short term (till we can get a better option in) BJ is the answer to that CM issue his passing isn’t the greatest but he is very good at disrupting the opposition, winning second balls and dominating the midfield ariel battles!

And out wide reintroduce and give a run to Waghorn as he offers better defensive cover, better gold up/ball retention and a physical presence in attack.

That’s two changes that can be put in place immediately and could have a decent impact till we can bring someone else in

It seems so obvious (to me) that as a forum we over analyse every blip/defeat too much. My head hurts reading through all the various threads. Mainly because there are some really varied and valid points made but also some real tosh too. I really can't make my mind up on the best way forward. I trust Frank and Jody will be more decisive and that good times are just around the corner. We've been knocked back so many times as a fan base that I understand that it's hard not to be pessimistic but I truly believe that this time we are on the cusp of finally finding that magic formula.  

21 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It seems so obvious (to me) that as a forum we over analyse every blip/defeat too much. My head hurts reading through all the various threads. Mainly because there are some really varied and valid points made but also some real tosh too. I really can't make my mind up on the best way forward. I trust Frank and Jody will be more decisive and that good times are just around the corner. We've been knocked back so many times as a fan base that I understand that it's hard not to be pessimistic but I truly believe that this time we are on the cusp of finally finding that magic formula.  

Tosh?

18 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

This managerial lark is obviously so simple, makes you wonder why clubs bother to employ people who have played the game at the highest level, just come onto the local forum and you will find the next Pep ?

Yeh….who expects to find opinions on a football forum...jeez

5 hours ago, sage said:

Many point to Huddlestone's lack of pace as the biggest issue, however if a player of his ability had pace he would still be playing for Spurs and possibly England.   

Nope, saying that if your Aunty had balls she'd be your uncle won't do.

Huddlestone does not fit into Lampards style of play. TBH I can't see what he currently brings to the field for any manager - what did he contribute yesterday? One or two long passes through the middle of the park. Is that all we should expect or should we change our style of play to accommodate Huddlestone?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nope, saying that if your Aunty had balls she'd be your uncle won't do.

Huddlestone does not fit into Lampards style of play. TBH I can't see what he currently brings to the field for any manager - what did he contribute yesterday? One or two long passes through the middle of the park. Is that all we should expect or should we change our style of play to accommodate Huddlestone?

Perhaps the tackle, run and slide rule pass to put Wilson through 1 on 1. 

What type of player do you see there?

Huddlestones first game for us this season made a lot of people change their mind to his effectiveness in our team. He bossed the midfield early on.

The lack of movement ahead of him is making him look slow and ineffective.

Make the space and Tommy Lad will find you.  It’s a simple game.

Dont make space and all he can do is pass sideways or backwards.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

Yeh….who expects to find opinions on a football forum...jeez

Sorry I thought it was a polite way of say what a load of balls.

Your post just made me laugh, If it was that obvious then every team would be promoted, just keep buying players in what is precived as your weak areas, no offence meant.

Out of interest then, who are these 3 players ?

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Sorry I thought it was a polite way of say what a load of balls.

Your post just made me laugh, If it was that obvious then every team would be promoted, just keep buying players in what is precived as your weak areas, no offence meant.

Out of interest then, who are these 3 players ?

What a lovely person you are. 

Are you suggesting a team shouldn't look to improve the squad in the areas that it is weak in?

I pointed out what type of players, I don't play FIFA so I don't have an extensive list. 

What are your thoughts on how we improve? do you have any?  

Just now, sage said:

What a lovely person you are. 

Are you suggesting a team shouldn't look to improve the squad in the areas that it is weak in?

I pointed out what type of players, I don't play FIFA so I don't have an extensive list. 

What are your thoughts on how we improve? do you have any?  

Yes, it’s obvious to me. Let’s bring in Messi, ronaldo and Stones.

Im sure if I created a thread stating that I would get the same response. I’m not saying your point is invalid, however we have brought players in this summer in every position you mention, for me it’s not that simple, they have to be available, in our budget and want to come. Therefore it’s not that obvious, as I said just my opinion, however you can’t even identify one player that fits your criteria?

Archived