Posh strikers

BaaLocks

Just been looking at the centre forwards that Peterborough have produced over the last decade.

1: I'm struggling to think of a side who has brought through so many centre forwards who have gone on to better things - and made decent coin out of it, >£20m income on just strikers in the past six or seven seasons.

• Craig Mackail-Smith (£2.75m) - Brighton, currently at Wycombe (surprised really, always rated him but iirc he had a couple of nasty injuries)
  • Dwight Gayle (£4.77m) - sold for just over £10m. Good player, more prolific with Newcastle and WBA than I gave him credit for
  • Paul Taylor (£1.77m) - currently at Doncaster telling stories of how he could have made it
  • Conor Washington (£2.97m) - sold to the Blunts in the summer on a free. My QPR mate says good riddance.
  • Britt Assombalonga (£6m) - sold for £13m, good business. Good player, let's not pretend otherwise.

2: A bit early to be drawing lines under statements but I'd say time will tell that we got the best value of the bunch. Assombalonga has been a good bit of business for Forest, as has Gayle for Palace but Marriott seems to be a steal at £3m. He can easily become a >£10m striker.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Currently the top away scorers in the country with 26 as well.

Either the chief scout or the bloke who coaches their forwards must really have the midas touch about them.

Someone needs to tap the scouts phone and hope to cut out the middle man ?

Someone posted on here a while back that while Posh strikers always seem to be amongst the goals, it rarely seems to do them much good come the end of the season in terms of league position.

Whoever it was then suggested that the chairman demands they play attacking football through one main striker to maximise the profits available from selling a 20+ goal a season man onwards at the expense of the team's performance overall, but that was the funding model they used.

It may well have been a Peterborough fan justifying Marriott's sale, but looking at the list above they seem to have around a 50% success rate when moving on, which is better than most, so possibly not the case.

Brentford on the other hand seem to make a big sale every year, or have a great loanee, and the player moves on then disappears without a trace.

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

He already is a 10 mil + striker ? goals against united and Chelsea. Link up play is top class for a lil man. Only going to get better

He's well on the way, I'll give you that. You've got to admire the way he's been handled, and been handled (cue 'Oooh Matron' meme), so far. Resisting giving him the day one start really helped him, he almost let the team find itself a bit and then slotted in from there. Easy to see it after the event but for a new management team to resist the temptation to throw on the new star signing at the first opportunity - that showed maturity beyond their management years.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Just been looking at the centre forwards that Peterborough have produced over the last decade.

1: I'm struggling to think of a side who has brought through so many centre forwards who have gone on to better things - and made decent coin out of it, >£20m income on just strikers in the past six or seven seasons.

• Craig Mackail-Smith (£2.75m) - Brighton, currently at Wycombe (surprised really, always rated him but iirc he had a couple of nasty injuries)
  • Dwight Gayle (£4.77m) - sold for just over £10m. Good player, more prolific with Newcastle and WBA than I gave him credit for
  • Paul Taylor (£1.77m) - currently at Doncaster telling stories of how he could have made it
  • Conor Washington (£2.97m) - sold to the Blunts in the summer on a free. My QPR mate says good riddance.
  • Britt Assombalonga (£6m) - sold for £13m, good business. Good player, let's not pretend otherwise.

2: A bit early to be drawing lines under statements but I'd say time will tell that we got the best value of the bunch. Assombalonga has been a good bit of business for Forest, as has Gayle for Palace but Marriott seems to be a steal at £3m. He can easily become a >£10m striker.

Of all those on that list Paul Taylor was the one I thought looked blumming marvelous when I first saw him, honestly surprised he never went onto big things.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:46, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Not all posh strikers are good , Patrick Bamford is the main example of that.

harsh.

had one great season at boro.

got us out of jail after xmas when we finished third, with great strikes at home to brighton and away at Wednesday to get us the 3 points.

Archived