Dr Who

dog

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Part of the appeal of Doctor Who is nostalgia

Surely what made it successful in the first place was being original. If you insist it can never change then you kill off something of the spirit. 

I can remember not liking the idea of the Doctor being young. Surely a time lord should be old! The younger Doctors brought a new life to the character though. 

Judge each one on their merits, and that is due to the quality of the writing as much as anything else. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Why not? Part of the appeal of Doctor Who is nostalgia. Ever since I was cowering behind the cushion as a little kid, it's always been a male character.

This isn't an anti-female thing. I love murder mysteries but I wouldn't want Miss Marple to become Mr Marple either.

I'm generally against changing the identity of characters, but Dr Who is a special case because it's established in the lore and past precedent that the Dr can regenerate into an entirely new body with a new personality and accent. I think it's really tough to remain logically consistent when arguing that a character already portrayed by such a diverse range of actors couldn't possibly be female due to nostalgia.

16 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

The Doctor is not a human being. 'It' is an alien, that can regenerate, perhaps it takes human shape because 'It' prefers it.  'It' may look completely different, after all it has two hearts.

Technically the doctor is a human being played by an actor/actress with just the one heart.

20 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm generally against changing the identity of characters, but Dr Who is a special case because it's established in the lore and past precedent that the Dr can regenerate into an entirely new body with a new personality and accent. I think it's really tough to remain logically consistent when arguing that a character already portrayed by such a diverse range of actors couldn't possibly be female due to nostalgia.

Really?. Age maybe but all have been white and male. There was a ginger one, I suppose, but that's about it.

Maybe it's just me but other than allowing the BBC to tick the diversity box, I can't come up with a good reason for the change. And that's not just coming from nostalgia.

20 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Really?. Age maybe but all have been white and male. There was a ginger one, I suppose, but that's about it.

Maybe it's just me but other than allowing the BBC to tick the diversity box, I can't come up with a good reason for the change. And that's not just coming from nostalgia.

I don't think there needs to be a good reason to change though, due to the premise of the character. The Doctor can be anyone or anything. We've already established that the Doctor's hair colour, height, accent, and even nationality can change. I don't see how changing gender is such a massive leap and even if it were it's been established in the lore that the Doctor can take any appearance and is not necessarily exclusively white and male.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is some insufferable prig at the beeb furiously patting themselves on the back for making such a woke casting decision, but it works within the confines of the show. When they cast a 500 lbs black lesbian as the next Mr Darcy I'll complain, but this is not the hill to die on.

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I don't think I can get on with a female Doctor. I saw the first new episode & it just felt wrong. Not sure I'll bother with any more.

That's not a sexist viewpoint. Barbara Broccoli was asked about a female Bond & she said "No, it's a male character". So is the Doctor.

There is an argument amongst Bond fans that Bond is a code name like Q or M and therefore is not the same person in every film. I'm not dying on that hill, but it's kind of interesting to read it like that (as an excuse as to why the actor's change height, build, nationality etc)

Dr Who though - come on, regeneration is central to the character. I can't believe the sole reason it feels wrong is because it's now a woman? I never really liked Capaldi and stopped watching. I'm not especially taken with Jodie yet - but it's more to do with the fact she has a tendency to play it like a Victoria Wood sketch than anything. The fact the character is now female is probably the thing I like most (as it's freshened up the format completely)

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Maybe it's just me but other than allowing the BBC to tick the diversity box, I can't come up with a good reason for the change.

So you do accept that promoting diversity is a good reason for the change? Your nostalgia then is for a world where only white men can save the day. Time to move on. The Doctor's seen the future, and it probably doesn't look like the 1960s BBC. 

24 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

So you do accept that promoting diversity is a good reason for the change?

No, I don't and it's not (IMO)

25 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Your nostalgia then is for a world where only white men can save the day. Time to move on. The Doctor's seen the future, and it probably doesn't look like the 1960s BBC. 

Don't be silly, I'm not saying that at all.

I used to love Torchwood, which had a very diverse cast concerning gender, race & sexuality.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I don't think there needs to be a good reason to change though, due to the premise of the character. The Doctor can be anyone or anything. We've already established that the Doctor's hair colour, height, accent, and even nationality can change. I don't see how changing gender is such a massive leap and even if it were it's been established in the lore that the Doctor can take any appearance and is not necessarily exclusively white and male.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is some insufferable prig at the beeb furiously patting themselves on the back for making such a woke casting decision, but it works within the confines of the show. When they cast a 500 lbs black lesbian as the next Mr Darcy I'll complain, but this is not the hill to die on.

....and yet for however many years, that's exactly what The Doctor has been. I find it more of a leap, frankly, that after selecting so many similar human forms for so long, he suddenly ends up being totally different.

Clearly just me, so I'll leave it there.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I find it more of a leap, frankly, that after selecting so many similar human forms for so long, he suddenly ends up being totally different.

Not clear why you see it as 'totally different' tbh. They've had long hair before, varying voice registers, a selection of clothing styles.

The very name and premise of the character suggests a mystery, so it's difficult to see your grounds for being dogmatic within the rationale of the story.

All that's left is your personal preference, to which you are perfectly entitled, but it's not really an argument. 

2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Not clear why you see it as 'totally different' tbh. They've had long hair before, varying voice registers, a selection of clothing styles.

The very name and premise of the character suggests a mystery, so it's difficult to see your grounds for being dogmatic within the rationale of the story.

All that's left is your personal preference, to which you are perfectly entitled, but it's not really an argument. 

And to be fair - although the previous Doctor's Who were played by white male actors, The Doctor's gender identity was never really covered. He could quite easily have been trans-gender in any one of his incarnations. That rainbow scarf of Tom Baker's for example - what did it signify? ?

Having watched from the very first episode on a 14 inch B&W tv with glass over the screen and dodgy vertical hold I feel qualified to assess the new Doctor.

She is going to be great! Needs to slow the speech down a touch but anyone who eats Custard Creams has to be good. Typical woman though! Says one thing and does another. "Guns are bad, never good. Don't use them-ever". So lets blow up the bad guys by exploding the atmosphere!

Not sure about the companions yet, far too obvious a diversity box ticking exercise and that detracts from getting to know them. Bradley looks like he will bring some humour. That has been missing form recent series and some of the later ones got a bit too clever for their own good. The Riversong stuff was good to start but played out too slowly, similarly Missy.

Personally I liked Capaldi, Eccleston, less so Smith. My favourite ever was Patrick Troughton!

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Having watched from the very first episode on a 14 inch B&W tv with glass over the screen and dodgy vertical hold I feel qualified to assess the new Doctor.

She is going to be great! Needs to slow the speech down a touch but anyone who eats Custard Creams has to be good. Typical woman though! Says one thing and does another. "Guns are bad, never good. Don't use them-ever". So lets blow up the bad guys by exploding the atmosphere!

Not sure about the companions yet, far too obvious a diversity box ticking exercise and that detracts from getting to know them. Bradley looks like he will bring some humour. That has been missing form recent series and some of the later ones got a bit too clever for their own good. The Riversong stuff was good to start but played out too slowly, similarly Missy.

Personally I liked Capaldi, Eccleston, less so Smith. My favourite ever was Patrick Troughton!

I am with you there. (My favourite was the Cybermen under the streets of London) Definitely behind the sofa stuff

You want really creepy-- There was a programme I guess in the very early 60's called the Quatermass Experiment, about some alien spaceship under the ground. I was banned from watching it as my parents deemed me too young. What they didn't know was the door to the sitting room had a keyhole and I could watch it through that. Mind you the hall was unheated and had lino flooring so it was very uncomfortable. 

They never figured out what caused the nightmares!

23 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

And it does stand up to Netflix etc. It may be about the only thing that does. It is quintessentially British, and if you don’t like it then you must be an imigrant (which is totally fine, by the way - my wife doesn’t like it, she’s an immigrant, she prefers Friends). 

Well ever since David Tennant decided Dr Who should act like Chandler they've both been equally as poo.

Archived