dog

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dog said:

I'm a sucker for well done sci fi 

Was worried about the new series but jwhit seems to be doing ok

Interested to know others' thoughts

Well, the responses so far are a bit crap!

My daughter and I are very excited it’s back. It’s barely really skipped a beat with the sex change, which is great. I do sometimes have myself thinking how Peter Capaldi might have delivered that line (but then I do that every time there’s a change). 

And this week’s episode about Rosa Parks was a great education for my daughter. It’s brilliant how she’s completely unaware of what prejudice even is, so part of me wants to keep her ignorant to it. But she’s 9 now, so it’s probablg important that she knows about people like Rosa Parks. Her great great grand dad was a slave in Brazil after all. So we kept pausing for me to explain things to her. 

And it does stand up to Netflix etc. It may be about the only thing that does. It is quintessentially British, and if you don’t like it then you must be an imigrant (which is totally fine, by the way - my wife doesn’t like it, she’s an immigrant, she prefers Friends). 

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It is quintessentially British, and if you don’t like it then you must be an imigrant (which is totally fine, by the way - my wife doesn’t like it, she’s an immigrant, she prefers Friends). 

Brb checking family tree

Tonight's episode (episode 3) about Rosa Parks was brilliant,  First one I've seen in the series and it was excellent. One thing I did find out by checking the #DoctorWho hashtag on Twitter was that Doctor Who was originally created in 1963 to visit important historical events to help in children's education. Tonight's episode was certainly a nod to the original idea.

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I've never even seen single episode ever.

@Lambchop style!

John Pertwee was my first Doctor. I coped with the change to Tom Baker, but gave up after that. 

Whenever I've seen more recent versions, at friends' houses at Christmas, for example, I've found it to be aimed at those with minuscule attention spans, so too bitty to be watchable. 

I preferred Blake's 7. 

I don't think I can get on with a female Doctor. I saw the first new episode & it just felt wrong. Not sure I'll bother with any more.

That's not a sexist viewpoint. Barbara Broccoli was asked about a female Bond & she said "No, it's a male character". So is the Doctor.

8 hours ago, Lambchop said:

John Pertwee was my first Doctor. I coped with the change to Tom Baker, but gave up after that. 

Whenever I've seen more recent versions, at friends' houses at Christmas, for example, I've found it to be aimed at those with minuscule attention spans, so too bitty to be watchable. 

I preferred Blake's 7. 

If there's any 'bitty' in future episodes, I'm glued to the tele!!!

30 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Why should a character, which regularly reinvents itself, be exclusively male? There's no rationale for that from within the character or plot. 

Why not? Part of the appeal of Doctor Who is nostalgia. Ever since I was cowering behind the cushion as a little kid, it's always been a male character.

This isn't an anti-female thing. I love murder mysteries but I wouldn't want Miss Marple to become Mr Marple either.

Archived