Recent Ex Derby Managers

MacRam

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without the guidance provided by this forum these blokes are no better than your average pub team landlord posing as sunday morning team managers. 

But seriously this a tough league and this squad knows we are a playoff team plus. Having just beaten the tractor boys which none of these 3 could do, FL has a better chance of making the automatics? 

If we go up a place each round of matches we will be in the top 2 by Christmas.

For the sake of completeness...had reading not lost to us and won last night they would be four points better off.

Where would that put them ?

Getting rid of mac2 allowed GR to take us to the playoffs.

Let's reopen this post at Christmas because Clement2 and GR2 are never going to happen.

8 hours ago, MacRam said:

All ex Derby Managers, says a lot for our past choices

Eh? We reached the playoffs with two of them! 

McClaren took a top half team to Wembley, playing some of the best football many of us has seen. He then stopped the rot somewhat after Pearson, before he was unfairly given the boot for Rowett.

Personally, given how we’ve become playoff contenders ever since, I think the choice to bring in McClaren was inspired. We’re even trying to get back to his footballing philosophy now!

Rowett I’m on the fence with, but I think his ‘effective’ football is one-dimensional at best. Almost got us over the line though.

I’ll give you Clement. Total fraud. 

46 minutes ago, Err ram io said:

Without the guidance provided by this forum these blokes are no better than your average pub team landlord posing as sunday morning team managers. 

But seriously this a tough league and this squad knows we are a playoff team plus. Having just beaten the tractor boys which none of these 3 could do, FL has a better chance of making the automatics? 

If we go up a place each round of matches we will be in the top 2 by Christmas.

For the sake of completeness...had reading not lost to us and won last night they would be four points better off.

Where would that put them ?

Getting rid of mac2 allowed GR to take us to the playoffs.

Let's reopen this post at Christmas because Clement2 and GR2 are never going to happen.

I wasn't going to reply to this, but felt compelled to do so.

FL has a better chance of making the automatics? (I hope you are right) however how can you say that based on 4 games and the fact that we beat Ipswich and the others didn't? As has been said we got top the play-offs with two of those managers.

I really don't understand your last statement at all.

Point being is that mac 1 was better than mac 2.

Clement 1 better than hypothetical Clement 2

Ditto GR 1 vs hypothetical GR2.

FL just has to find an extra 15 points to push rams into automatic places. Beating Ipswich is 3/15 of that target?

Have not beaten Ipswich for last 12 games until this week.

Well done FL players and backroom team. 

COYR

It's a bit early for league tables isn't it? 

I think 2 of them will be sacked by Xmas though.

Rowett will be alright. Once the players get used to his 721 formation then I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 6. They have better attacking individuals than we had 

42 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's a bit early for league tables isn't it? 

I think 2 of them will be sacked by Xmas though.

Rowett will be alright. Once the players get used to his 721 formation then I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 6. They have better attacking individuals than we had 

Pretty much.

As entertaining as this all is, I can see Rowett turning things around and start climbing the table. 

He has the players to do it at Stoke, where as McClaren and Clement will find things more difficult to drag themselves up.

1 hour ago, Err ram io said:

Point being is that mac 1 was better than mac 2.

Clement 1 better than hypothetical Clement 2

Ditto GR 1 vs hypothetical GR2.

FL just has to find an extra 15 points to push rams into automatic places. Beating Ipswich is 3/15 of that target?

Have not beaten Ipswich for last 12 games until this week.

Well done FL players and backroom team. 

COYR

I agree with the first statement to a point, as I feel Mac2 probably wasn't given the time .

I do not agree with the second statement as Clement is at a totally different set-up and will (may) never be back so we will never know.

Same for statement 3. 

Not sure I agree with the idea that beating Ipswich for the first time in 12 years (especially this early in the season) actually means Lampard is already 3 points better off than the previous managers over a season?????

Sorry I just don't get it

Sith Happens

Think all 3 are decent managers. Mac has taken over a proper bag of dog poo at qpr. Qpr are suffering because of harry destroying yet another club financially.

Clement also taken over a bag of dog poo. 

Rowett, sometimes it's hard with relegated clubs,  look at villa. 

The first two unlucky to be sacked from Derby each time. 

That said..if thing's don't work out with frank the only 'recent' manager i would be happy to see back would be Clough. 

For me. as a Johnny come lately fan admittedly, it was all about Nigel. He wasn’t a great manager or tactician but he could find a footballer or two without getting ripped off. 

Mac benefited from that and had the nous to put them in a system that involving right pegs in the right holes but it wasn’t quite enough to cross the line. He couldn’t have done it without Nigel’s ground work. 

Clement and Pearson were fiddlers of middling ability but delusions of grandeur. Rowett was workmanlike, organised and pragmatic.

we haven’t had many considered signings since Nigel, when we have spent money it has usually been in a hurry for numerous sound reasons but little has been done with deep thoughtfulness.

Frank, despite the razzmatazz and his Chelsea loan signings, strikes me as a man with some vision ... when did we last have academy players actually being touted AND used, to the extent that we have seen so far ? Bogle, Lowe, Bennett .. in the space a few weeks they all look well worth a match day squad place. And he has the nous to see that ”whoops some muscle is missing” and Fozzie gets a shout. The thing I like is his clean slate approach. I don’t think he buys historical baggage, I think he looks at how players train and shape up and if it looks right then no matter what your name is how old you are you’ll get a go 

We will get some rocky road performances but I really feel we have a positive direction to go in 

PistoldPete2
21 hours ago, MacRam said:

Bottom 3 teams, currently at bottom of championship, 

QPR (McLaren)

Reading (Clement)

Stoke (Rowett)

All ex Derby Managers, says a lot for our past choices, lets hope Frank does better.

Mcclaren has the toughest job of all. Not his fault qpr are in their current mess. 

Any bad things that happen to Rowett will be entirely his fault, and fully deserved. 

TobyWanKenobi
21 hours ago, MacRam said:

Bottom 3 teams, currently at bottom of championship, 

QPR (McLaren)

Reading (Clement)

Stoke (Rowett)

All ex Derby Managers, says a lot for our past choices, lets hope Frank does better.

I too saw that post on reddit.

Archived