1946 FA cup team

loweman2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Don't know how things worked so this could be total nonsense, but given the wartime moratorium isn't this mostly the 1939 team which would be why they look old?

Could be garbage on my part. It usually is... 

B9B61E8D-77C7-4104-ACC3-1127BF346C8B.jpeg

C35C5443-0616-40B4-ADD9-FF504EBDA929.jpeg

On 17/08/2018 at 20:11, Matlock Old Ram said:

Back in 1969 I was in hospital with Jack Stamps as he was losing his sight due to the damaged caused by continually heading the ball. The old leather ball soaked up the rain and the laces left their mark on your forehead when you headed it!  Jack was blind for the last 20 years of his life. 

I know Jack Stamps' son Peter and he confirms that the story that he lost his sight from heading the ball is false, Jack worked at the Lloyds factory in Burton after leaving DCFC - which was an engineering company-  and he had a 'flash' from a welder's arc. which caused his blindness.

2 hours ago, steve brummie said:

I recall there being a Jack Stamps testimonial match for him during Cloughie and Taylor's reign.

Anyone know more about this?

I know he was very proud of his medal and always kept it with him.  When it was sold after his death I always hoped it was purchased by the club.  If not, it should have been - probably sold for less than one of the current players weekly wage packets .   I was quite sad when the pub built and named after him became Walkabout.

21 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I know he was very proud of his medal and always kept it with him.  When it was sold after his death I always hoped it was purchased by the club.  If not, it should have been - probably sold for less than one of the current players weekly wage packets .   I was quite sad when the pub built and named after him became Walkabout.

Again, I know his son Peter.

His FA cup medal was offered to DCFC on loan but they already had Peter Doherty's medal and so declined,

Note, several members of the team sold their FA winners gold medal for scrap, during hard times it was a good source of income.

I was with Peter when we went to a valuation day at Pride Park around 4 years ago, the valuer couldn't believe his luck and estimated that the medal at worth approx. £8,000, (but had 20% commission) after consultation with the family they decided to sell the medal as the next generation were not interested.

He also had lots of other memorabilia from that era, including the FA Cup final program signed by both sides, if I get an opportunity I will ask Peter if I can scan his collection and put them on this forum.

Archived