Would We Be Best Suited To 3 At The Back?

Ram of Steel

I know it's early days and I'm not writing the 433 off but I feel we have been far too open in the first couple of games, with players being caught out of position in midfield and defence and making us vulnerable to teams hitting us on the break.

As well as this I really feel as though we have the personnel in the squad now that could excel playing in a 3 at the back formation. The players took to it well at the end of last season and in my opinion, the new players have the attributes to slot into it well also. Not to mention that JM has had a lot of success with it in the Chelsea youth teams.

Lampard appears to like to have attacking full backs and this formation would give them license to get forward without having to worry as much about their positioning defensively. This would benefit Max Lowe in particular who seems to be caught out of position most and to me, at times looks more of a winger anyway. We'd also still be able to play a high press, but it would leave less space at the back to be exploited should a team manage to beat it.

With 3 at the back we could see a lineup similar to the following with the wing backs providing the width and Wilson and Lawrence operating slightly more centrally:

Carson

Wisdom/Keogh Davies Tomori

Wisdom/Bogle                              Lowe/Malone

Huddlestone Mount

Wilson                           Lawrence

Marriott/Waghorn

Going with 1 CAM and having Marriott and Waghorn up top together could also be an option.

I know the 433 may work better when we have players such as Davies, Malone and Huddlestone all in the starting XI and that we're in a period of transition where we have made a lot of signings, who will all need time to gel and learn exactly what is is Frank wants from them. However, I feel a 3 at the back formation with this personnel not only has a bit of everything, but also has players who complement each other well in each position and may allow our players to flourish as a team. A team which I believe now, to be one of the strongest in the league! 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering about this too and I like your reasoning about Lowe. Keogh settled down and became a catalyst for attacks when we did this too.  Wisdom not the guy for the right hand side but may give him a chance as one if the back 3. I reckon we have better options to play it this year than last.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We need a system that enables us to get some control of the midfield. We didn't have that in either the Reading or Dirties game....

It’s only a slight tweak though. Stick George, Butters or Hudds in there and let them control, forget the energetic side of the role.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s only a slight tweak though. Stick George, Butters or Hudds in there and let them control, forget the energetic side of the role.

George ain't ready. Not sure if Hudders can play that role, I hope he can. If not give Evans a go?

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Is there an argument to say that Evans could come in for Ledley, and Butterfield in for Bryson?

Evans would do the defensive role like Matic for example, and Butterfield would off the passing range and the mobility to in the middle going forward and defending. 

36 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is there an argument to say that Evans could come in for Ledley, and Butterfield in for Bryson?

Evans would do the defensive role like Matic for example, and Butterfield would off the passing range and the mobility to in the middle going forward and defending. 

I don’t think Butterfield’s energetic enough to be an #8 to be honest. Although, it may work if you have Butters deep on the ball, Evans deep off of it. 

I say this without having seen Evans. For all we know he could be able to control a game himself and be the answer.

On 12/08/2018 at 00:54, Ram of Steel said:

I know it's early days and I'm not writing the 433 off but I feel we have been far too open in the first couple of games, with players being caught out of position in midfield and defence and making us vulnerable to teams hitting us on the break.

As well as this I really feel as though we have the personnel in the squad now that could excel playing in a 3 at the back formation. The players took to it well at the end of last season and in my opinion, the new players have the attributes to slot into it well also. Not to mention that JM has had a lot of success with it in the Chelsea youth teams.

Lampard appears to like to have attacking full backs and this formation would give them license to get forward without having to worry as much about their positioning defensively. This would benefit Max Lowe in particular who seems to be caught out of position most and to me, at times looks more of a winger anyway. We'd also still be able to play a high press, but it would leave less space at the back to be exploited should a team manage to beat it.

With 3 at the back we could see a lineup similar to the following with the wing backs providing the width and Wilson and Lawrence operating slightly more centrally:

Carson

Wisdom/Keogh Davies Tomori

Wisdom/Bogle                              Lowe/Malone

Huddlestone Mount

Wilson                           Lawrence

Marriott/Waghorn

Going with 1 CAM and having Marriott and Waghorn up top together could also be an option.

I know the 433 may work better when we have players such as Davies, Malone and Huddlestone all in the starting XI and that we're in a period of transition where we have made a lot of signings, who will all need time to gel and learn exactly what is is Frank wants from them. However, I feel a 3 at the back formation with this personnel not only has a bit of everything, but also has players who complement each other well in each position and may allow our players to flourish as a team. A team which I believe now, to be one of the strongest in the league! 

I was going to post something similiar. The problem is that our full backs push up, centre backs split and the defensive midfield player goes awol leaving us very exposed. In the two games so far we could easily have conceded more goals through losing possession in our own half. three at the back could give us a little more security.

Neither Lowe or Malone appear to be strong defensively but both are good going forward and a back three would help with this.

Tomori looked very good after a hesitant start so I would go with:-

Carson

Tomori    Davies  Forsyth

Wisdom/Bogle            Malone/Lowe

Huddlestone/Evans

Bennett      Mount       Lawrence

Waghorn/Marriott

Worth a look against Oldham, maybe.....

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

I like the well reasoned argument you put forward there.

I’ve made them in all the threads regarding changing formation after 2 games when we have had several personnel changes which will take time to enact. Changin dirmation now would be the stupidest thing Frank could do imo

What I would say is in the 2 games so far we have not got the best out of our main striker and 352 with Marriott and Waghorn might work with  extra protection in mid and I’d go 3 from Keogh Tomori Davies and Malone at back I think Wisdom and Lowe have been poor in first two games 

12 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I’ve made them in all the threads regarding changing formation after 2 games when we have had several personnel changes which will take time to enact. Changin dirmation now would be the stupidest thing Frank could do imo

Alternatively you could consider that if we continue in the same manner we will just concede too many goals. Reading could have scored 4 with better finishing, Leeds did score 4 and might have scored more.

Archived