Would We Be Best Suited To 3 At The Back?

Ram of Steel

On 12/08/2018 at 00:54, Ram of Steel said:

I know it's early days and I'm not writing the 433 off but I feel we have been far too open in the first couple of games, with players being caught out of position in midfield and defence and making us vulnerable to teams hitting us on the break.

As well as this I really feel as though we have the personnel in the squad now that could excel playing in a 3 at the back formation. The players took to it well at the end of last season and in my opinion, the new players have the attributes to slot into it well also. Not to mention that JM has had a lot of success with it in the Chelsea youth teams.

Lampard appears to like to have attacking full backs and this formation would give them license to get forward without having to worry as much about their positioning defensively. This would benefit Max Lowe in particular who seems to be caught out of position most and to me, at times looks more of a winger anyway. We'd also still be able to play a high press, but it would leave less space at the back to be exploited should a team manage to beat it.

With 3 at the back we could see a lineup similar to the following with the wing backs providing the width and Wilson and Lawrence operating slightly more centrally:

Carson

Wisdom/Keogh Davies Tomori

Wisdom/Bogle                              Lowe/Malone

Huddlestone Mount

Wilson                           Lawrence

Marriott/Waghorn

Going with 1 CAM and having Marriott and Waghorn up top together could also be an option.

I know the 433 may work better when we have players such as Davies, Malone and Huddlestone all in the starting XI and that we're in a period of transition where we have made a lot of signings, who will all need time to gel and learn exactly what is is Frank wants from them. However, I feel a 3 at the back formation with this personnel not only has a bit of everything, but also has players who complement each other well in each position and may allow our players to flourish as a team. A team which I believe now, to be one of the strongest in the league! 

No. We haven't got players to play the role of a wing-back.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2018 at 00:54, Ram of Steel said:

I know the 433 may work better when we have players such as Davies, Malone and Huddlestone all in the starting XI and that we're in a period of transition where we have made a lot of signings, who will all need time to gel and learn exactly what is is Frank wants from them. However, I feel a 3 at the back formation with this personnel not only has a bit of everything, but also has players who complement each other well in each position and may allow our players to flourish as a team. A team which I believe now, to be one of the strongest in the league! 

Eurgh

Bored of this now - Just cos there's a few teams in the PL who have decided to play 3 at the back suddenly it's the answer to every problem

Mount is not a DM - He needs to be in and around the edge of the box - By all indications he's our most creative player from CM and dropping him back would be a total waste

Lawrence has started the season looking confident - We want to keep him playing where he is, coming in from the left - If you play wing backs that tucks Lawrence and Wilson inside more and makes their movement more predictable - They aren't going wide if you're playing wing backs they're only cutting inside 

The big problem at the moment is Frank's 'rotating midfield 3' which is causing them to a) not know where they're supposed to be playing, b) be pretty much always out of position and c) means none of the defence know where they are to pass to them

Stick Keogh in the DM role. He has shown he knows how to rotate with a midfielder many times (when he goes full headless chicken) but at least knows how to close play down when we are caught high up the pitch. Davies and Tomori(sp?) Centre Back. RK will give the midfielders a rollicking if they don't cover his runs!

Archived