Observations - but fewer than the new signings

Half fan

Quite a few have had chances to be part of a promotion winning side but the problem is they failed.  As the saying goes if you’re not  part of the solution you are part of the problem.  It’s harsh but waiting for them to achieve greatness, we may wait forever.  So apart from Carson, Curtis and possibly Tom, Bryson, and hudz I don’t believe the other are capable of upping their game to make the difference needed.  I have just damned a number of players who I really rate but looking at what frank has done makes me convinced that he and MM hold that view.  Thank you and goodbye

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Quite a few have had chances to be part of a promotion winning side but the problem is they failed.  As the saying goes if you’re not  part of the solution you are part of the problem.  It’s harsh but waiting for them to achieve greatness, we may wait forever.  So apart from Carson, Curtis and possibly Tom, Bryson, and hudz I don’t believe the other are capable of upping their game to make the difference needed.  I have just damned a number of players who I really rate but looking at what frank has done makes me convinced that he and MM hold that view.  Thank you and goodbye

If what you say makes sense - it doesn’t - then you can’t just say, oh except for them, oh and them, and maybe them...

It’s more than just the players, it’s the management too, they all sink or swim together.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

If what you say makes sense - it doesn’t - then you can’t just say, oh except for them, oh and them, and maybe them...

It’s more than just the players, it’s the management too, they all sink or swim together.

There will always be some that can move up a gear the only other constant is Mel and he is part of the solution

Club should be commended for the business done this window. Lampard needs a squad that fits the way he wants to play. He’s actually signed players for his system as opposed to the random acquisitions we’ve seen previously particularly in 15/16. The squad he inherited is incapable of playing his way. For example, Only 1 box to box midfielder (who is 31) other alternatives Johnson and Butterfield! The CEO and owner are saying we’re within FFP? Therefore what’s the problem?

The alternative - we wait to get players out before we bring players in. Write off the first half of the season then at least given not many players have left during the transfer window. January is then a bad time to sign players (assuming we’ve managed to get enough players out) so effectively write off the season just make sure we don’t go down.  Get to next summer. 10 players out of contract, down to the bare bones. Major rebuild, could take first half of the season to gel, hopefully recover second half of the season to make top 6, otherwise that’s two seasons written off.

The journalist on twitter has got it bang on with his analysis of Derby’s transfer business. We’ve signed replacements for the out of contact players already, still a chance we can get some more out during the Loan window, takes first half of this season to gel, hopefully we recover second half of season to get top 6 and promotion, if not, younger squad who has finished season strongly completely at one with how Lampard wants to play. Would only need minor tweaks next summer to be a real force next season.

Only issue is if Lampard can’t get many out, he may have difficulty managing those who aren’t playing but he only has to worry about that for 1 season anyway.

This transfer window has only been positive.

On 09/08/2018 at 19:18, jagerbob said:

Good luck indeed. Ive been watching us so long out of the EPL I dont really care much for it anymore.
I do however like to feel an association with my team, and wacthing almost entirely new players, will make me think im watching someone else.

There’s no pleasing some people...9 is a lot of signings but they won’t all play at the same time and new signings brings excitement ...this is probably the most excited I’ve been to be a Derby fan for some time ...well done Mel Frank and Jody and good luck ....it’s a long season ??

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Club should be commended for the business done this window. Lampard needs a squad that fits the way he wants to play. He’s actually signed players for his system as opposed to the random acquisitions we’ve seen previously particularly in 15/16. The squad he inherited is incapable of playing his way. For example, Only 1 box to box midfielder (who is 31) other alternatives Johnson and Butterfield! The CEO and owner are saying we’re within FFP? Therefore what’s the problem?

The alternative - we wait to get players out before we bring players in. Write off the first half of the season then at least given not many players have left during the transfer window. January is then a bad time to sign players (assuming we’ve managed to get enough players out) so effectively write off the season just make sure we don’t go down.  Get to next summer. 10 players out of contract, down to the bare bones. Major rebuild, could take first half of the season to gel, hopefully recover second half of the season to make top 6, otherwise that’s two seasons written off.

The journalist on twitter has got it bang on with his analysis of Derby’s transfer business. We’ve signed replacements for the out of contact players already, still a chance we can get some more out during the Loan window, takes first half of this season to gel, hopefully we recover second half of season to get top 6 and promotion, if not, younger squad who has finished season strongly completely at one with how Lampard wants to play. Would only need minor tweaks next summer to be a real force next season.

Only issue is if Lampard can’t get many out, he may have difficulty managing those who aren’t playing but he only has to worry about that for 1 season anyway.

This transfer window has only been positive.

And all of this .... great transfer window. Frank comes in, knows what he wants & how he wants to play, assesses what he’s got in Tenerife, realises it’s nowhere near what he needs and BOOM gets on with the job of rebuilding\restructuring his squad. Why should he wait or do things softly softly?? If Mel gives him the ‘go ahead’ financially and FFP isn’t an issue then what’s the problem?? Frank & his staff are all successfull in their own right, they aren’t here to dilly dally, they all ambitious, all winners and have got places to go. Why wait. The players that may not fit the bill know exactly that and if they want to play football it’s now up to them to go out on loan and find a club that wants them, those that can’t be bothered will show themselves who they are and that’s for their concience but surely won’t reflect well on them with any potential new employer when they out of contract at end of season. Things may not gel overnight and we as fans may need to temper our enthusiasm but what a great message that Frank and the club are sending out, the place is alive again and everyone (we’ll almost everyone) is buzzing. What’s not to like. COYR. 

Wonder how many of those already sounding gloomy are the same folk putting up the Gumps as promotion candidates? They've signed 11 haven't they? Next summer, with 10 players out of contract we'll be down to a squad of around 25 and they'll have had a season under Frank and Jody to adapt to the style of football Frank is demanding. I'd say that gives Frank all the 'flexibility moving forwards' that he needs. Like others, it'd be great if we could enjoy a few games before we have to whip out the sackcloth and ashes. That said, the vast majority of folk seem to be super positive (without daft delusions) so ignoring the perennial naysayers ain't a tough brief, least for now anyway.

Read somewhere that the Leeds manager has a record of a great first half of the season before trailing off in the second half due to fatigue from playing a high tempo, pressing style. If that's what FL is trying to implement here, then we'll prob need the extra bodies over 46 games to keep the intensity high. 

Either way it's not our money, so just enjoy it and get behind them. Some people aren't happy unless they're moaning.....my wife included!!?

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely Lowe as back up to Marriott is sensible - chance without too much pressure. As for Marriott and Waggy, we need both and they,re not the same, plus Nuge and Jerome will soon be gone.

Lowe’s 21. If he isn’t getting a chance now then, if I was him, I’d be pining for a move. 

If they aren’t the same won’t we just end up in the same situation as we did when Martin was injured?

12 hours ago, Spanish said:

There will always be some that can move up a gear the only other constant is Mel and he is part of the solution

But how can Bryson “move up a gear” from scoring and assisting 31 goals in a single season now that he’s 31 going on 32 and his game relies on energy? 

23 minutes ago, cannable said:

Lowe’s 21. If he isn’t getting a chance now then, if I was him, I’d be pining for a move. 

If they aren’t the same won’t we just end up in the same situation as we did when Martin was injured?

No cos there,s two of them, plus others who can do a job. Lowe will get chances this season, if he goes out on loan will Fozzy be back up for Malone then?

19 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I thought Frank did some really good business initially. The triple signing of Mount, Jozefzoon and Wilson showed great intent. Add Waghorn as a necessary replacement for Vydra and that should have been our business done.

I can understand wanting your own players and putting your mark on the squad, but that can be achieved with 3-4 players if they come in and make the right kind of impact.

The business in recent weeks just seems to be overkill and in the indulgent manner that has been typical of us since MM took  up the reins. Signing players because we can rather than because we need to, and showing that we’ve not really learnt any lessons at all.

I look at half of these signings - Holmes, Evans, Marriott, Malone, Tomori - and just scratch my head. Will they play? What problems do they remedy? Are they good enough to make an impact? Will they be in the plans if we happen to get promoted?

We had a big squad and a big wage bill when FL arrived. Did it call for nine more additions?

Thats a fair question.

if we are going to get the benefit of marriott and waghorn then we may need to shift shape to 4132

Evans - we can't really criticise the signing of evans. Ledley and huddlestone are both long in the tooth.  i think this is part of a move to sign younger, lower salary players, and shift out the low value, high salary older players.

malone - i'm not sure about, but I can see the benefit of a really attacking full back. Whether malone is that player i really don't know. 

Tomori - benchwarmer. Straight choice between him and Hanson? I'd be surprised if he displaces wisdom or keogh.

Holmes - see evans and the move towards younger, lower salary players. We could have delayed this a year but its the sort of signing i'd have expected sheff utd to make to pep up their midfield. We have kicked ourselves if he'd gone to a rival.

3 hours ago, Gisby said:

And all of this .... great transfer window. Frank comes in, knows what he wants & how he wants to play, assesses what he’s got in Tenerife, realises it’s nowhere near what he needs and BOOM gets on with the job of rebuilding\restructuring his squad. Why should he wait or do things softly softly?? If Mel gives him the ‘go ahead’ financially and FFP isn’t an issue then what’s the problem?? Frank & his staff are all successfull in their own right, they aren’t here to dilly dally, they all ambitious, all winners and have got places to go. Why wait. The players that may not fit the bill know exactly that and if they want to play football it’s now up to them to go out on loan and find a club that wants them, those that can’t be bothered will show themselves who they are and that’s for their concience but surely won’t reflect well on them with any potential new employer when they out of contract at end of season. Things may not gel overnight and we as fans may need to temper our enthusiasm but what a great message that Frank and the club are sending out, the place is alive again and everyone (we’ll almost everyone) is buzzing. What’s not to like. COYR. 

Great post mate well said ??

Again, you really have to look at next summer to understand why so many faces were brought in this summer I feel. Up to 10 first teamers could go. 

FloJo - Replacement for Weimann

(L)Wilson - Replacement for Russell

Waghorn - Replacement for Vydra 

Marriott - Replaces Jerome/Martin/(potentially Nugent) as competition for the Striker role

(L)Mount - Replacement for Hughes type player (at long last, if only temporary) 

Holmes - Minimal fee paid, very highly rated amongst current fans and scouts alike. Competition for Bryson/Mount role (Which we're short of)

Evans - Minimal fee paid, used successfully under Jaap Stam as a holding midfielder, an area we'll need to be reassessing next summer with Huddlestone and Ledley another year older - probably too good of a price to not to even if it doesn't work out. 

Malone - Fantastic pedigree (Champs. TOTY for Fulham) in a position most of us have wanted improving for a while. Yes Lowe has had a brilliant start and he honestly has the ability to get to the very top of this game (my friend and other scouts have long held this opinion) but teams won't touch him because of his injury record. Lowe is in a stage of his career where he needs 20-25 first team games this season (by his own admission)... we'll play around 50 with a few cup games. That leaves us relying on Foz for half of the games. 

(L)Tomori - I don't know enough about him to suggest why we'd need him but he's only on loan and I'd trust Jody and Frank to know a lot about him and what he offers. 

6 permanent signings, with 7 leaving permanently since last summer (inc Russell as he was never replaced permanently). Bare in mind one of our surplus players is injured for the whole season that leaves us with around 5 players to get rid of on loan deals. 

Carson + Roos

Wisdom + Bogle     Keogh + Tomori     Pearce + Davies     Lowe + Malone

Hudds + Ledley + Evans

Holmes + Mount          Bryson + Johnson

Flo + Wilson                                                        Lawrence + Thomas

Waghorn + Marriott + Bennett

To leave on loan (with eye on moving them on for good) if possible: Nugent, Jerome, Blackman, Martin, Forsyth, Butterfield, Thorne

To leave on loan (with eye on progressing them): Guy, Elsnik, Mitchell, Thorne

4 under 23s in and around the squad, depth in every position (bar RB but Bogle had a good summer) and a much younger squad. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Thats a fair question.

if we are going to get the benefit of marriott and waghorn then we may need to shift shape to 4132

Evans - we can't really criticise the signing of evans. Ledley and huddlestone are both long in the tooth.  i think this is part of a move to sign younger, lower salary players, and shift out the low value, high salary older players.

malone - i'm not sure about, but I can see the benefit of a really attacking full back. Whether malone is that player i really don't know. 

Tomori - benchwarmer. Straight choice between him and Hanson? I'd be surprised if he displaces wisdom or keogh.

Holmes - see evans and the move towards younger, lower salary players. We could have delayed this a year but its the sort of signing i'd have expected sheff utd to make to pep up their midfield. We have kicked ourselves if he'd gone to a rival.

I  am sure Malone and Marriott will play a large .Malone was first choice left back at Fulham. Tomori will cover the right full back and centre half positions. Both defensive midfielders are injury prone and Thorne seems to be out the picture so Evans will be cover there and Holmes will cover Bryson and Mount.

Archived