Do we need a Captain

FindernRam

There is always a lot of conjecture/emotion about the selection of team Captain. Is he a leader, will affect his game? etc.

On the continent they seem less bothered about it, often picking the oldest player.

Now Brentford have abolished it altogether, drawing lots before the game to select someone to talk to the Ref. They call it having collective responsibility.

Should the Rams go that route?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

On the continent they seem less bothered about it, often picking the oldest player.

Is that less bothered or part of showing that respect is given to 'older' people in general?

But we're a team and a team needs a leader not a committee.

The captain is the managers voice on the pitch.

All the best armies, companies, teams have a captain/leader who makes the right decisions at the right time.

Like @RoyMac5 said, if you do it by committee it can soon fall into division in the team which will ultimately cause failure

I would bet a fiver that Curtis Davies chest is pumped out that extra couple of cm's walking the team out the tunnel with his £2 Sondico arm band on tonight.

Never been a footballer, total guess work but I would image there is great pride in being name club captain. 

If Brentford want to pull names out the hat, sell raffle tickets or play pass the parcel round the dressing room that's great, hope it doesn't work out for them, same for the other 22 clubs this season.

We have a captain, chosen by the manager, that's how we're doing it this season and it's absolutely fine by me. 

45 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

There is always a lot of conjecture/emotion about the selection of team Captain. Is he a leader, will affect his game? etc.

Now Brentford have abolished it altogether, drawing lots before the game to select someone to talk to the Ref. They call it having collective responsibility.

I wonder what would happen if some 17 year old making his first team debut was drawn out as the individual to talk to the ref. Or, some hot head especially if they were the one involved in the incident in the first place. 

Sounds crazy to me. 

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

So, I guess the answer to your question is YES we do need a captain

9 minutes ago, David said:

I would bet a fiver that Curtis Davies chest is pumped out that extra couple of cm's walking the team out the tunnel with his £2 Sondico arm band on tonight.

Never been a footballer, total guess work but I would image there is great pride in being name club captain. 

If Brentford want to pull names out the hat, sell raffle tickets or play pass the parcel round the dressing room that's great, hope it doesn't work out for them, same for the other 22 clubs this season.

We have a captain, chosen by the manager, that's how we're doing it this season and it's absolutely fine by me. 

From the experience: If other players vote for you to be captain, you do feel pride, do everything possible to help your teammates and be trustworthy. Empowering experience.

When chosen by the manager, the effect is not even closely as strong. In such decisions, top-down management is not a really good approach at all IMO.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

From the experience: If other players vote for you to be captain, you do feel pride, do everything possible to help your teammates and be trustworthy. Empowering experience.

When chosen by the manager, the effect is not even closely as strong. In such decisions, top-down management is not a really good approach at all IMO.

So, even though you're 30 odd and have been at a few clubs often in the top league, you come to a new club in the second division. You have a pretty damn good first season and come close to being the fans' choice as player of the year but you end the season as captain on the pitch because you took over when your partner at centre half and the club captain lost a bit of form.  Even when he came back you retained the armband and played well. You end the season confident, disappointed but confident.

close season and all changes. New manager comes in with new ideas and new backroom team to impress all over again. You worry they might want you to go, that they won't know all you achieved last season. They've all worked at the very highest level and the manager though new to the role is widely, and reasonably, acknowledged as one of the footballing greats of his generation with over 100 caps for his country, playing at the highest level throughout his career.  After a tentative start in pre season he picks you as his captain. He wants you to play and play regularly, to help bring new and new young players through, to be the footballing 'great's' voice on the pitch.  He trusts you with his team.

Don't know about Curtis but I would be floating on air

Archived