Cheers Mel

ram1964

All exciting times since the arrival of Frank. Have to say I wasn't overly convinced with him joining us when he has no experience and thought we would struggle this season with little money for transfers, an inexperienced manager and a washed up mixed bag of a squad developed by 3 or 4 managers.

However so far delighted with Frank's vision and signings. The introduction of his coaching team/ staff especially Jody Morris is a breath of fresh air and one that inspires confidence.

is it just me or do we seem to be getting a bit more news worthy since his arrival and for the right reasons?

Not wanting to get over optimistic as everything has to fit in to place, but we seem to have done some cracking business and as yet not lost players that most of us feel should be moved on.

Sure Vydra, Nugent, Blackman and the likes will now surely go.

BUT THANK YOU MEL?

For putting further investment in the club, 're awakening my desire pride and passion for the club, and making me genuinely excited about the new season.

let it not be said that despite the numerous calamities over the past few seasons we have a committed enthusiastic owner with some balls and conviction to see this club do right?  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the pleasure of speaking to Mel several times, you can question his decisions all day long, I'm sure he would hold his hand up to a few and admit they were wrong, but never question his desire to see this club do right. 

You can also question this post, blame it on the sausages, but had it not been everyone that signed up and posted on this forum there would have been no sausages, regardless of your feelings towards myself, my opinions, the only reason there was sausage is through a genuine interest in how YOU that's reading this now, the fans, feel about the club. 

Whilst Mel has been in charge I have gone into each season with a feeling of genuine attempt to challenge for promotion, as a fan that is desperate to see this club back in the Premier League that is all I can ask. 

Should it have happened by now, should we be there, could it have been done with fewer managers, less money, more time for Clough you can question all day long.

What's happened has happened now, here we are in 2018, 8 days until a new season kicks off, we have 2 bright prospects from the Premier League, a number 9 thats coming off the back of a 33 goal season that can probably afford a hair cut now and one of the coolest names thats probably ever been in the building with Jozefzoon.

I'm thankful. I'm excited and I'm hopeful. ??

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

As we’re thanking him for reawakening your desire for the club, should we also thank him for you losing it? ?

As much as Mel is responsible for all things Derby, I am sure he had reservations about GR s tactics and style.However the club mainly were achieving beyond expectation and he had no alternative other than back the manager. Been puzzled by some of the decisions made during the previous few seasons and I am sure Mel has been in a learning curve in that time, but cannot knock  the guy for his apparent enthusiasm and commitment to see the club do well. 

not sure I would be prepared to continually throw my own money week after week like he has and have all the crap  he has had to deal with between managers, Sam Rush,players and his only knows what else.

30 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I am not sure what the people who snipe at Mel want. When he doesn't get involved it's his fault for letting managers run away with the budget and when he does get involved he is accused of flying drones around and meddling in team talks.

He can't win with some folk.

Was not going to post on this thread.. However.

Just a couple of points though.

1. I thought he was a super dupa business mogul? Yet everything you post above suggests the exact opposite. He should and will have been involved in managers run away with the budget. If he was not involved, then he is a bumbling fool. He is doing exactly the same now with Lampard.. The fan in me is excited for the season but again, it's not really any different from before from a finance perspective. It's fine if Lampard is a sucess, if not it's the same mistake all over again.

2. You are judged on results. They aint been that great from a business perspective, since he took over.

3. When does he take responsibility. Fans always seem to cut him massive slack that simply would not be afforded to other owners.

4. I want him to run the club responsibly, not as a fan.

11 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Was not going to post on this thread.. However.

Just a couple of points though.

1. I thought he was a super dupa business mogul? Yet everything you post above suggests the exact opposite. He should and will have been involved in managers run away with the budget. If he was not involved, then he is a bumbling fool. He is doing exactly the same now with Lampard.. The fan in me is excited for the season but again, it's not really any different from before from a finance perspective. It's fine if Lampard is a sucess, if not it's the same mistake all over again.

2. You are judged on results. They aint been that great from a business perspective, since he took over.

3. When does he take responsibility. Fans always seem to cut him massive slack that simply would not be afforded to other owners.

4. I want him to run the club responsibly, not as a fan.

1. Not entirely, it suggest he entrusted the decision making to people who are supposed to be more experienced in the football industry, that includes the likes of Rush and the managers. Mel didn't run Candy Crush day to day, he invested and left the business to the people who knew it.

2. It could be argued that we are in a much healthier position than almost every club in the division that doesn't have parachute payments.

3. He has taken responsibility, he has at the very least insured we have never fallen foul of FFP and remained playoff contenders for the duration of his ownership. He has admitted to making mistakes and pledged to correct course, I trust that he will.

4. I agree. I am sure Mel agrees as well. We will either see that come to be the case or Mel will sell it. Not sure which will happen first.

I find him slightly strange, but we all want him / derby to do well. He has made mistakes. He is inclined to want grandiose schemes, and varies between appointing managers who promise fluid, attractive football, and army types who want to get stuck into the squad. I find the inconsistency difficult to follow. Growett did everything that PC was supposedly sacked for, yet Mel seemed to love him. 

i'm sure he'll find a way to keep us the right side of FFP, and he seems to have struck gold with Lampard and Morris.

Looking forward to the season, but wish we were keeping vydra.

29 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

1. Not entirely, it suggest he entrusted the decision making to people who are supposed to be more experienced in the football industry, that includes the likes of Rush and the managers. Mel didn't run Candy Crush day to day, he invested and left the business to the people who knew it. Still his reponsibility to monitor and manage. I don't believe for on minute he was not fully aware of what was going on. Ultimately he is the captain of the ship and that means it's his job to ensure we don't hit the rocks. People can't hide behind him being nice and a fan.

2. It could be argued that we are in a much healthier position than almost every club in the division that doesn't have parachute payments. Hmmm.. Not through business acumen, just him digging deep into his own pockets. He has been very clear that the club income does not cover the outgoings. 

3. He has taken responsibility, he has at the very least insured we have never fallen foul of FFP and remained playoff contenders for the duration of his ownership. He has admitted to making mistakes and pledged to correct course, I trust that he will. Not convinced with this statement but we will have to see how things pan out.

4. I agree. I am sure Mel agrees as well. We will either see that come to be the case or Mel will sell it. Not sure which will happen first.

As above.

Fingers crossed Frank is not another false dawn and the invest works this time. Like I said, I am excisted as a fan, I do believe he has made the right call this time with Lampard. Hopefully the loans and signing produce and we get that elusive promotion.

thankyou mel for delivering , think you have made the right choices with frank at the helm and helped him bag the right players. my fav player is nugent at the moment his work rate is good and great for the rams

he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Would far rather have Mel in charge than some of the previous owners. Not that long ago when Jeremy Keith and his "mates" were running the show borrowing funds from some should I say unusual investors......

Archived