least funny 'comedian'

dog

3 hours ago, Mr Giggles said:

Richard Ayoade, unbearable dhead.

Absolute twit, winds me up whenever he is on TV.

Like that sarcastic ducker at School that tried to be funny but never really was.

I think he's really good.  Amazing how different opinions can be. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I mean the serious side of him..... 

Nope , I don’t find that side of him Very inspiring ,ive been clean and sober for around 25 years , worked as an addictions councillor in prison rehab programmes and done voluntary stuff around that area and there’s just something with Russell brand that I can’t take to. ,, 

6 hours ago, Anon said:

So tell us why you think certain people are wrong. Comedy, like most forms of entertainment, is subjective, but simply saying other people enjoy something, therefore it must have some merit isn't really a good argument. If that were true we couldn't criticise anything. Lots of people got to watch Forest, enjoy themselves and laugh, that doesn't mean they're a good football team.

Ah, but there’s a common factor amongst forest fans. They’re mostly from Nottingham. So we can put 2 and 2 together and come to the conclusion that gumps are gumps. 

But conefians sell out all over the place, there is no common theme. 

3 hours ago, archied said:

Nope , I don’t find that side of him Very inspiring ,ive been clean and sober for around 25 years , worked as an addictions councillor in prison rehab programmes and done voluntary stuff around that area and there’s just something with Russell brand that I can’t take to. ,, 

As you know, everyone’s recovery is different..... each to own, and well done ????

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

As you know, everyone’s recovery is different..... each to own, and well done ????

Yep certainly is , sometimes you just don’t warm to certain people , he’s just one of those people for me , in fairness though he may come across differently in person

22 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Really struggle with female comedians...'Mrs Merton' was brilliant...and Royle Family too, so Caroline is a big exception.

After that? Ab Fab...Dinner Ladies, Milligan, Sue n Mel, Jo Brand...all bloody terrible.

Russell Howard- what an annoying unfunny right-on bore he is.

Mrs Brown's Boys..rubbish!

All you have done here is take mostly mainstream tv shows here that feature prominent women and give that as evidence that female comedians are no good.

If we ignore the debate about why there aren't many great female comedians, there are loads of great comedy female performers out there on tv.

Loads of funny women actresses in things like Big Train, Royle Family, Gavin and Stacey, Spaced, Partridge etc etc

16 hours ago, Mr Giggles said:

He's a snarky twit to me.

Gives off this impression where he thinks he s better than everybody else. 

Your opinion of his comedy is for you to determine and you're welcome to it,

I just wanted to throw it out there that in "real life" this couldn't be further from the truth. He has really quite bad self-esteem and social anxiety issues.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Your opinion of his comedy is for you to determine and you're welcome to it,

I just wanted to throw it out there that in "real life" this couldn't be further from the truth. He has really quite bad self-esteem and social anxiety issues.

How do you know that? Interesting that's all.

5 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

How do you know that? Interesting that's all.

I've met him more than once, but he also touches upon it in a couple of TV appearances where he's just being himself. Such as in Alan Davies' green room type show on Dave.

As Yet Untitled, I think? 

EDIT: This is a good clip to shed a little light

15 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

All you have done here is take mostly mainstream tv shows here that feature prominent women and give that as evidence that female comedians are no good.

If we ignore the debate about why there aren't many great female comedians, there are loads of great comedy female performers out there on tv.

Loads of funny women actresses in things like Big Train, Royle Family, Gavin and Stacey, Spaced, Partridge etc etc

You know Mes. brown is actually a woman right? Just checking. Hate to spoil it for you. 

22 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not sure what your point is. I can hardly evidence unknown female comedians to illustrate my argument.

I actually regularly go to stand up nights at small venues.

There are a LOT of very funny people out there who have made me howl with laughter ...and I have forgotten their name by morning.

But it has never been a woman. And in my opinion they are generally pretty terrible. Now you can dissect that how you like....my shallow preconceptions, lack of opportunities...whatever.

I just can't gel with their material, their delivery puts me on edge, the whole experience makes me feel uncomfortable. Probably the 'off the cuff' funniest friend I have is a woman, but I just don't find female comedians (stand-up) amusing.  

I don't find female comedians funny either, and yes, it is interesting to speculate why that might be. 

First theory off the top of my head is something to do with humour coming from the absurdities of life, the points of disconnect which maybe men and women experience differently. 

There's also a category of people I used to find funny and now don't. Top of these is probably John Cleese and the Pythons. That humour was the comedic soundtrack to my childhood and adolescence, and now I find it irritating. Others would be Billy Connolly and Richard Pryor. 

13 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I don't find female comedians funny either, and yes, it is interesting to speculate why that might be. 

First theory off the top of my head is something to do with humour coming from the absurdities of life, the points of disconnect which maybe men and women experience differently. 

I thought that...what I (as a male) may find engaging, weird, amusing.....a female may not. But surely women would prefer female humour then?

In my experience, men prefer off-beat/ absurd humour more than women. Most of my female acquaintances don't 'get' League of Gentlemen,  Partridge type stuff...think its not 'funny'. My funny female friend is the exception. 

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I thought that...what I (as a male) may find engaging, weird, amusing.....a female may not. But surely women would prefer female humour then?

I find the absurd things funny, but that's from a female autistic viewpoint, so I probably don't connect with with everyday reality in a 'normal' way. My female friends who are funny also probably have some kind of 'outsider' status, like mental health problems. Women writers can be funny, so maybe it's something to do with the format too. 

56 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I find the absurd things funny, but that's from a female autistic viewpoint, so I probably don't connect with with everyday reality in a 'normal' way. 

I think you raise a very interesting point. There is something in the pleasure of making links between seemingly different things or patting yourself on the back for recognising behaviour patterns that is pleasing for me at least.

When I think of the social 'humour' of eg saying 'You know that (.....) that's YOU that is' or 'back of the net, eat my goal' or 'This a local shop, for local people' etc etc

I think it is nearly always men who would say it? Its almost like bonding...we know the same things..find the same things amusing. Maybe its our way of connecting...like how mainly its women who would say 'is that a new coat/ haircut/ shoes... God, it really suits you.'

Archived