Signings

Edtheram

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If I give you a tenner to go get us 2 beers from the bar - And you come back with a beer and a water - Is that your fault for getting the wrong things? Or my fault for trusting you with my money?

Your fault 100%.

Had you gone for just two waters your waistline would still be under control, not only that there is no resale value in beer so it's only down the drain. Plenty of money to be made in water, just ask Anglian Water. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Your fault 100%.

Had you gone for just two waters your waistline would still be under control, not only that there is no resale value in beer so it's only down the drain. Plenty of money to be made in water, just ask Anglian Water. 

You're right of course - A middling night out with zero risks taken and an average time had by all would be much better than a booze-up

26 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

"You can't blame the people who are to blame because they're not here!"

Absurd.

Rush was given the boot last May? Since then we've signed Lawrence for a over the top sum, handed new deals to Forysth, Pearce and Hanson - none are much cop BTW. Gave Rowett a new deal on the bac of half a dozen results/the second Stoke came sniffing.

How is that Sam Rush's fault?

8 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Rush was given the boot last May? Since then we've signed Lawrence for a over the top sum, handed new deals to Forysth, Pearce and Hanson - none are much cop BTW. Gave Rowett a new deal on the bac of half a dozen results/the second Stoke came sniffing.

You mean the new contract for Gary Rowett that's netted us a big compensation package?

And the new contracts for perfectly adequate squad players who aren't on much?

And the fee for a player (on the back of a superb season at our level) who played fairly well, all in all, albeit with poor decision making - but who was also, in fairness, being played out of position? 

You're right, since Sam Rush left it's been a complete poo show. Wind your neck in.

5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Hanson is young so we can command a fee if we still sold him, Pearce is a decent squad player who could still get us a fee if he was to be sold similar to Forsyth. None of these 3 would be on a huge wage so doesn't make business sense to let them let leave for free

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You mean the new contract for Gary Rowett that's netted us a big compensation package?

And the new contracts for perfectly adequate squad players who aren't on much?

And the fee for a player (on the back of a superb season at our level) who played fairly well, all in all, albeit with poor decision making - but who was also, in fairness, being played out of position? 

You're right, since Sam Rush left it's been a complete poo show. Wind your neck in.

Ahhh yes squad players, my apologizes.

So we moan about the bloated squad and having to cut the wage bill down, only to hand out more contracts to pretty average players. How hypocritical? Hanson is no more than a league one player at best. Forsyth has done literally nothing to warrant a new deal. Pearce wouldn't be on peanuts here, you would be mad to think otherwise.

We've handed new deals out for fun since Bryson in 2014, when he got his dream 5 years.

Rowett getting a new contract with a compensation package was no masterstroke, it was pure luck we got afew bob more than we would have prior to agreeing a new deal. Again, he didn't deserve a new contract just a year into his original one.

That is stopping us signing any potential new player; the fact we have managed to get our wage bill so high in the first place and overloaded squad of "squad players"

22 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Tom Lawrence has been at the club one season, before writing him off why not entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe he might come good next year in a change of system.

A lot can happen in a year, just ask Vydra, our best player that Derby shouldn't be selling in 2018. ?  

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/24919-vydra-should-never-wear-the-shirt-again/?do=findComment&comment=1167552

1.png

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

We've handed new deals out for fun since Bryson in 2014, when he got his dream 5 years.

Rowett getting a new contract with a compensation package was no masterstroke, it was pure luck we got afew bob more than we would have prior to agreeing a new deal. Again, he didn't deserve a new contract just a year into his original one.

Do you not understand how football works? 

Other clubs were after both Bryson and Rowett, we gave them new contracts to ensure they would stay with us.

It isn't about whether you consider them worthy or not, you're moaning about us selling our best players in other threads, and then on here you're complaining about his giving people contracts to stop other clubs taking them? How often do you flip flop around? 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Tom Lawrence has been at the club one season, before writing him off why not entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe he might come good next year in a change of system.

A lot can happen in a year, just ask Vydra, our best player that Derby shouldn't be selling in 2018. ?  

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/24919-vydra-should-never-wear-the-shirt-again/?do=findComment&comment=1167552

1.png

Papahet, I think you should stop getting your knickers in a twist

9 minutes ago, David said:

1.png

There's that HINDSIGHT again   ?

Just now, Papahet said:

Ahhh yes squad players, my apologizes.

So we moan about the bloated squad and having to cut the wage bill down, only to hand out more contracts to pretty average players. How hypocritical? Hanson is no more than a league one player at best. Forsyth has done literally nothing to warrant a new deal. Pearce wouldn't be on peanuts here, you would be mad to think otherwise.

That is stopping us signing any potential new player; the fact we have managed to get our wage bill so high in the first place and overloaded squad of "squad players"

Forsyth has warranted a new deal by being the only fit left back we have. You think its a better idea to just go into the new season needing to sign more than one left back? I'm sure that wouldn't come with a risk of getting players on higher wages and I'm sure their clubs wouldn't drive the price up.

Pearce, similarly, is one of three center backs. And based on (unverifiable to you) conversations with folk at Derby, took a wage reduction with the new contract. Which makes sense if you really think about it, on what grounds would he be able to demand a rise or even the pay he was already on?

While I don't particularly rate Hanson, he's young, very versatile and not on very much money at all.

You disagreed with Bryson's contract, then?

I'm not going to keep this up, because you're clearly a stubborn individual, but every thing you've cited (with the exception of Rowett's extension) is not Mel's fault, should it be 'wrong'. Player extensions, transfers etc. are not the Owner's decision unless the owner is also the manager, or the director of football, or the head of recruitment. Mel is none of those things.

People who he has employed have advised that it's a good move, likely citing reasoning, and then Mel has backed them.

You either get Owners who back the staff, or you get owners who don't. There is no middle-ground of genius owners who only back the great-in-hindsight decisions and ignore the poor-in-hindsight decisions.

24 minutes ago, David said:

1.png

Well we've only on our 4th manager since then, so something was bound to change eventually eh?

Search around abit more, maybe I have posted something 15 or so years ago saying Ronaldo wouldn't make it.

Well we've only on our 4th manager since then, so something was bound to change eventually eh?

Search around abit more, maybe I have posted something 15 or so years ago saying Ronaldo wouldn't make it.

Actually only had one more manager after your post and that was Rowett 2 months later

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

22 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

There's that HINDSIGHT again   ?

That

Just that...

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Except you missed the point again. The point was about you writing off players that could come good. Who's to say Lawrence won't have a great season? And if he does, you'll as look as foolish as you do about Vydra.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Except you missed the point again. The point was about you writing off players that could come good. Who's to say Lawrence won't have a great season? And if he does, you'll as look as foolish as you do about Vydra.

Never gonna happen mate - @Papahet obviously knows exactly what he's talking about and once he's written a player off they're DEFINITELY never going to be good AND there's no way he'd then complain later about us selling that player for a profit after complaining that the fee we paid was way more than he was worth...

Not that far back though is it. I mean you only joined the forum when we were heading to Wembley, you was nowhere to be seen during the Clough days ? 

Fact is, sometimes we ALL, fans, managers, owners, CEO's get it wrong with signings. You wrote Vydra off as a waste of money, 8 months later a change of system saw him win the golden boot and now you're blasting the club for possibly selling him.

At the time you was right, he didn't fit the system, maybe next season he won't fit the system again so is it not the right call to move him on now for a profit? Help lower that wage bill you dislike so much and next season....could be Lawrence's time to shine. 

Just now, Andicis said:

And who's to say he will have a good season? The same people who in 2018, think Craig Bryson is the answer to our problems in midfield huh?

So what if I said that about Vydra in January 2017.  Have you not once said a player was a bad signing, only to turn out half decent in the end? Doesn't make me foolish kid, it's called an opinion. My opinion is 18 months old, how much has changed on and off the pitch since I posted that?

I still don't rate Lawrence, more than welcome to search through and find this post in 3 years time if he becomes a cult hero.

Archived