Best ever atmosphere at an away game you attended

Bob The Badger

Fulham, Tuesday nite league cup, a couple of year ago when we were 2-0 down, then won 5-2, I was contracting in London and a few of us went to the match, I was absolutely steaming and wasn’t gonna leave the concourse when the whistle blew for the 2nd half to begin, glad I did

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Yeah I know but the number seems to get bigger every year in terms of how many actually went. I remember it being quoted as nearly 6k at the time and then now it seems to be accepted that we took 7k minimum.

Biggest away following ive been in. I’m not sure an official figure was ever given, just a vague nearly 6k reported. I reckon somewhere between 5 and 6k would be about right, probably closer to the 6k end.

51 minutes ago, sage said:

I think everyone was pished that day. Every song seemed loud and funny.

That was the day I first met Froggg. Enjoyed myself nonetheless.

Was that the game where it lashed it down from start to finish and then lashed it down some more on the entire drive back home? If so I was there and I was the idiot driving.

34 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Good subject Bob, and it was good for you to take one for the team with a smack in the gob after the Sheff U game. Although I didnt go myself I seem to remember you talking of the legendary Plymouth away FA Cup quarter final game in 86?

The Sunderland away game in Promotion year of 87 sticks out, a bit intimidating but the very loud singing of "where's the famous Roker Roar" I seem to remember pissed off the Mackhams.

Leeds away in late 2006 when Giles Barnes scored was also loud and proud and always great to stuff the Dirties

Burnley away in Easter 1975 I think we won 5 - 1 and swung the title our way, large turn out and quite a lot of scrapping that we stayed well clear of in the seats.

Didn't we lose that game at Sunderland though?

I think the Burnley game was 5-2 and Ralph Coates played!

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Was that the game where it lashed it down from start to finish and then lashed it down some more on the entire drive back home? If so I was there and I was the idiot driving.

I don't remember the weather (I wasn't driving) I remember we were the better team for 30 mins andthey scored greatgoal at our end before ht. Bucko got sent off.

We often have always says that involve staying over, they are always the best. Couple days drinking which involves football, if you cant remember them, then they have been even better.

Beat away days for me however have to be going to watch England away, Germany, Portugal were the highlights.

I seem to remember losing heavily at *I think* Watford and we were signing we want 6 when we went 5 down.

I also remember going to Lincoln where every pub we stopped at was rammed with Rams fans.

5 of us went with a designated driver whose name I cannot mention but it was Paul Bullock for those of you in the Matlock area.

He then decided to get pissed, marched into the Lincoln end of the ground on his own after we got separated, punched somebody and promptly got arrested.

The only way home we had was on the service train. That was the first time I ever met the DLF who promptly all piled out at Long Eaton looking for some fisty cuffs with Forest fans as we all hid in the toilets.

My sister used to live in London and I attended a few games on my own. I stood on the clock end the day that I think Graeme Mosley made his debut and we got stuffed at Arsenal.

I also almost filled my pants walking to the tube after we beat Spurs and there was barely a Rams fan in sight.

I was at Old Trafford the year we won 2-1??? when Micklewhite and Goddard (maybe) scored.

The whole day was crushed by the Hillsborough disaster and I will never ever forget how the United fans cheered at half time when they announced that as many as 14 Liverpool fans had died.

If only that was true.

I was in a hospital bed when Bradford happened. We'd been to Newport that day and a big fight ended with me landing on a crash barrier the wrong way wrong and damaging my kidneys.

A week in hospital followed and I wasn't even involved, just caught in the middle.

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I seem to remember losing heavily at *I think* Watford and we were signing we want 6 when we went 5 down.

I also remember going to Lincoln where every pub we stopped at was rammed with Rams fans.

5 of us went with a designated driver whose name I cannot mention but it was Paul Bullock for those of you in the Matlock area.

He then decided to get pissed, marched into the Lincoln end of the ground on his own after we got separated, punched somebody and promptly got arrested.

The only way home we had was on the service train. That was the first time I ever met the DLF who promptly all piled out at Long Eaton looking for some fisty cuffs with Forest fans as we all hid in the toilets.

That Lincoln game was my first away with 'the lads'. Was 16 and half pished on 3 lunchtime pints. Listened to the Macc Lads all the way there. Definitely outnumbered the locals that day.

43 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Yeah I know but the number seems to get bigger every year in terms of how many actually went. I remember it being quoted as nearly 6k at the time and then now it seems to be accepted that we took 7k minimum.

It was definitely big. I can remember walking up the ground and meeting the London Supporters group led by Colin (can you remember that @eatonram ? and there was barely a Tyke in site.

For saying that we went into the match 3-0 down the play off away game at Hull takes some beating,the atmosphere was fantastic and  the singing didn't stop from start to finish, even all  through half time. Hull fans came to applaud us afterwards. The Brighton play off was also great, we just seemed to be on a different level that night. Fulham league cup game also was a good one also coming from behind which weirdly I didn't think for one minute we'd lose!  The 10 men game was unbelievable but unfortunately I had to sit with the red dogs as I couldn't get a ticket. It was agonising  to keep restrained when Jamie Ward took off down that wing and  equalised,  Then my head nearly exploded when Jeff got the winner with 'OH YOU LITTLE BEAUTY!!' Best Colin Bloomfield line ever bless his soul!

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

PMSL, we have never taken 20k to Barnsley mate!!!

Not even 10k.

Not even 8K

I do remember flying home for a game the year we got promoted when we maybe took about 5K though.

We took 8,600 in 2006 when we had too stands we wanted more tickets but they wouldn't let us 

19 minutes ago, superrams23 said:

We took 8,600 in 2006 when we had too stands we wanted more tickets but they wouldn't let us 

Thought I wasn’t imagining the number too, that was my memory of it.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Fulham 5-2 in the cup and Barnsley when we took 6,000.

They would be my 2 of recent years.

Like a few others has to be the Sheff Utd, Phillip Gee, oh heaven as a standout.

Could despite the score add Hillsboro v Manure in that semi, I was on a stool or sumat at the front, looked round and i discovered goosebumps; can’t remember zilch but crying all the way home and my old man telling me to toughen up whilst secretly swallowing hard.

Funny, easy to remember bitter disappointments thinking about it than the real, real good ones.

Archived