Peter Marples and Mel Morris

NottsRam

6 minutes ago, philmycock said:

From the outside looking in Mike Horton is a really nice guy (met him). Marples  & Gadsby seems up their own arses. Mel is a proper businessman. Don loves caravans. Kirkland loves building things and saving money.

Mike Horton put in a hell of a lot of work in those early days. The poor guy was quite clearly exhausted when he gave his first interview. He was the grouping's first CEO.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Mike Horton put in a hell of a lot of work in those early days. The poor guy was quite clearly exhausted when he gave his first interview. He was the grouping's first CEO.

Was well into Basketball as well, Derby Storm, such a lovely guy, not got the money that Mel and Kirkland acquired but would have been a brill owner if he had Mel’s cash

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

image.png.d0d0e2953f8c98f6e18381d1af53fb38.png

Trust me pimp if you ever have the chance to meet mel hes one of the niceest most generous people you are likely to meet.does so much for derby as a city and surrounding area that goes unmentioned. Heard a rumour from someone that works for derby that all the food that got prepared for the cardiff game that never happend got sent to the homeless. Dont know if it was true but if it is just shows the kind of bloke he is.

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

Was well into Basketball as well, Derby Storm, such a lovely guy, not got the money that Mel and Kirkland acquired but would have been a brill owner if he had Mel’s cash

Never met him, but always liked the cut of him.

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

Marples joined us at @Bluedogmaz‘s boozer back in the RPG days, nobody warmed to him, he didn’t seem genuine, I think he was on a crusade to be popular, first impressions and all that

I'd not heard particularly favourable things about him in the past, though I've never met the guy. I've a feeling Mrs Marples resigned from the board after a while, though I may be wrong.

12 minutes ago, Ramet said:

Trust me pimp if you ever have the chance to meet mel hes one of the niceest most generous people you are likely to meet.does so much for derby as a city and surrounding area that goes unmentioned. Heard a rumour from someone that works for derby that all the food that got prepared for the cardiff game that never happend got sent to the homeless. Dont know if it was true but if it is just shows the kind of bloke he is.

Quite happy to share a “rumour” if it’s in the positive..... but quite happily say “didn’t happen” if in the negative.....

12 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Fook me I only said I was anti as well. Nothing more, nothing less, no diatribe just a couple of words. Just anti.  Jeeezus 

I have an opinion, I don’t shoot anyone down for liking him. I might question some points though but that’s it. 

People need to get beyond the ‘Angry Ram’ thing and read a little. 

We’re typecast now fella...... next you’ll be antifa ??

48 minutes ago, philmycock said:

From the outside looking in Mike Horton is a really nice guy (met him). Marples  & Gadsby seems up their own arses. Mel is a proper businessman. Don loves caravans. Kirkland loves building things and saving money.

The two Peters get a lot of stick from Rams fans, but they, like the entire league of Gentlemen seem to get a bit of stick from our fans. I was pretty involved in the initial investigation into the Amigos takeover and was sat at Lionels house when he first outlined his concerns to us, during this investigation I got to see the work put in by both Mr. Gadsby and Mr. Marples (as well as his ex Mrs Jill) and I have no doubt that we may very well be supporting a phoenix club if it had not been for their efforts (along with the others, don't know Mel or Mr, Horton but Don Amott is a lovely bloke and Mr. Kirkland is DCFC through and through, Mel also chucked in a personal £500 donation to my mums charity when we wrote in asking for a signed shirt)

Seems that they sold to the Americans in an effort to spend some cash to stay up, money that they did not have back then, and are criticised for 'cutting and running' when in fact they did this in the best interests of the club, and is not too dissimilar to people looking for 'Chinese investment' now. I think we can all have short memories as Rams and forget the owners we have had in the 3 Amigos and Fat Bob Maxwell and we should really be careful of what we wish for and how vitriolic we get towards people. Looking in from the outside, and with a bit of humint coming my way, it's not the owner that has left us in a strange financial position it's other people who have been either incompetent or criminal.

I'm not a Mel fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd prefer that he, who is one of us, ran the club than about 80% of other owners in football these days.

7 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

and Mr. Marples (as well as his ex Mrs Jill) 

Hadn't realised this. Was this why she left the board, Mick? ( Seem to think she was also Company Secretary?).

I don't know if other LOG members as well as Mel read the forums, but I'd like to take this oportunity before I go to wish them well and thank them all for their efforts a decade or so ago.

8 hours ago, ramblur said:

Just had a quick look at CH and can confirm that all 6 had equal holdings of 1,000,000 shares in Gellaw 101, apart from Gadsby, who had 1 less for some reason ( though I do remember he granted a director's loan, the only one to do so).

If anyone wants to check, just avail of the free CH beta service and search for Gellaw 101. Under filing history, check the ' capital' box, and then scroll down to the 30 May 06 entry headed 'Ad 27/06/06' and click on the pdf link at the right. I'll warn you that it comes in 2 halves, and in 2 instances you'll have to add 2 distinct holdings together to form the total. Ignore Amott's 400,000 for the time being, because this is obviously supplemented by a further 600,000 shown in the document 8 Aug 06 - 'Ad 26/08/06.

Silly me ,nothing to do with a director's loan. I've a feeling this was done to avoid a 3/3 split on a vote, and the need for the Chair's (Gadsby) casting vote. In other words, any 2+ Gadsby would lose the vote. Not that I'd like to give the impression that votes are commonplace- it's one of the Chair's functions to try to steer the meeting toward some kind of concensus on issues.

On 13/06/2018 at 14:38, Angry Ram said:

Certainly seesm to be anti Morris. That's two of us..

What’s wrong with this opinion??

Personally we are very pro Morris in our house and we have strong reasons for this but if someone doesn’t like Mel for whatever reason then they should be allowed to put it.

I think Angry is consistent with his opinion and he should be allowed his say even if you don’t agree and we don’t.

Is it possible to be pro-morris with caveats or anti-morris with recognition?

Being staunchly pro or anti Mel would seem to be a bit silly to me, but I'm just someone posting on s forum as well.

Personally I think Mel's always had best intentions but at times been badly advised, tried perhaps methods which worked in non-football but not with DCFC, and now he's trying to get a handle on things.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Being staunchly pro or anti Mel would seem to be a bit silly to me, but I'm just someone posting on s forum as well.

Personally I think Mel's always had best intentions but at times been badly advised, tried perhaps methods which worked in non-football but not with DCFC, and now he's trying to get a handle on things.

It’s like being married.

I’m fairly sure MrsCone loves me but I’m completely positive that at times she wants to hurt me(sometimes quite badly).

At other times she has loved me enough to assist in the conception of children.

I’m not suggesting anyone who likes or dislikes Mel uses either of these approaches..

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

It’s like being married.

I’m fairly sure MrsCone loves me but I’m completely positive that at times she wants to hurt me(sometimes quite badly).

At other times she has loved me enough to assist in the conception of children.

I’m not suggesting anyone who likes or dislikes Mel uses either of these approaches..

Although the image of lots of little lambs with Mel's head did strike me as a potential area for the second to succeed. Perhaps one for the Derby uni "unlikely but sinister research department"

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't disagree with a word of that. In fact I have been on record recently supporting Morris on his cost cutting programme.

I have never question his intentions, I am sure he wants us to do well, why would he not. 

Ill advised, yep without a doubt.. But that does not make some of the mistakes not his fault.

I don't have blind faith in the man, just my opinion. It worries me that he has very little checks and balances and I won't swallow all the crap that he spouts on occasion.

Would I like him to be a success? You betcha !! However the past is the past and it is difficult to back him on his record so far. That's a fact, most of the pro Morris camp agree that he has made mistakes.

I applauded his appointment of Clement, I loved that we were just not recycling the same old names. What happened, I don't know.. I hope that the reasons were good and honest.

He's got Frank. Great, we have come full circle. Happy with the appointment, although I won't go all gooey like some of the over the top posts I have seen on here. We will see how he gets on...  No expectation from me just can I please enjoy coming again..  

Well done Mr Morris.

I have met a few off here who have met Morris and without exception they all really like the man. I am sure he is a lovely man, no reason to think otherwise. My comments about him (I don't believe), have ever been personal. Just critique on how he is running the club I love. I will call it as I see it but of course I realise my comments are there to be challenged. I have no problem with that if that is done in the right way. Old Lambchop even got me to change my opinion on one subject through her posts. That was great and I learned something about a subject. What gets my goat is the old unimaginative 'self styled angry man' 'you're hard' posts that come along every now and again, just because they happen to disagree with my view. At least put your point, I am happy to read and like to understand other views as well.

Those on here who have met me, know I am not 'Angry', I have explained the reason for that on a few occasions but it is amazing how one word can distort a view and people then seem incapable of reading what I have actually written.

I have to accept that I guess, I could change it but I sort of like it now. People just know me as Angry and call me Angry now.. It's just 5 letters, I could be Brian but that's a bit boring. Just to prove I am not angry, I apologise to any Brian type people on this forum, I am sure you are not boring. 

12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I have to accept that I guess, I could change it but I sort of like it now. People just know me as Angry and call me Angry now.. It's just 5 letters, I could be Brian but that's a bit boring. Just to prove I am not angry, I apologise to any Brian type people on this forum, I am sure you are not boring. 

Brian is NOT boring wasn`t he the MESSIAH ? 

Or just a very naughty boy ?

"the life of Brian"

41 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I don't have blind faith in the man, just my opinion. It worries me that he has very little checks and balances and I won't swallow all the crap that he spouts on occasion.

Wonder if he taught Roger all he knew about saying one thing and doing another "....chance to be our own Alex Ferguson...."

41 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Those on here who have met me, know I am not 'Angry', I have explained the reason for that on a few occasions but it is amazing how one word can distort a view and people then seem incapable of reading what I have actually written.

Slightly curmudgeonly from time to time, but I wouldn't have said "Angry". Bet you've mellowed even further now you've got your lovely shiny black slabs!

Archived