World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

It was there for the taking, that’s it, it was our chance. Proud of the performances throughout the tournament, but fluffed our final lines. So sad, I’m 41 now and dont think I’ll ever see my team or country win anything significant....this was my chance ?

Lol. You've got another 10 world cups.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I cannot believe the amount of negativity on here. 

It is a crying shame that people have to go down that route. I have enjoyed this World Cup as much as any we have been involved in since France 98.

It’s sad that the same posters who have been digging, since the Holland friendly are all over this thread now...... in your heart of hearts you know we are much better now than 10,12,14 and 16..... youngsters go follow on, most of these will be round for 2/3 tournaments and only going to get better. But there’s internet points to play for..... that’s the most important things to some. I got asked earlier by a poster to tell him why I think we are better now, myself and along with a couple of others have replied..... and it’s all gone quiet..... quick to reply to a lot of posts looking for a confrontation, scampering off when folk come back with reasonable answers..... 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

(England fan logic...)

England are poo. They'll never win a world cup.

What an embarrassment! We didn't win the world cup! 

Henderson is overrated. Kane is overrated. Lingard is overrated. Stones is overrated. Alli is overrated

Why isn't Lingard having an impact on Modric and Rakitic!! 

Pathetic innit. Self-entitled, one-eyed bullshizzle. Same people always looking to tell folk why they idiots for taking any joy from the team. Does my duckin head in. If you don't like the result, fair enough but why always be p!ssing on everyone else's chips?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That opponent had worse players than we did. That's what hurts. We lost to a team because we have no tactical nous. We dropped deep too early and had little game play after they equalised.

Are you surprised by this? 

The first world cup I remember is 1986, hand of the cheating little cnut. 

Ever since it has struck me that England always fall short on

Tactics

Naivety 

Nouse

I put that down to our inability of players to try/venture abroad to play football and the ones that do invariably fail. 

The only chance England have of reaching a final is for it to be held in England and have the home advantage and even then there is always a German around the corner. 

Just now, RamNut said:

Lol. You've got another 10 world cups.

But none like this, this was it. We won’t get another chance like Croatia in a Semi-Final 

It was there for the taking, that’s it, it was our chance. Proud of the performances throughout the tournament, but fluffed our final lines. So sad, I’m 41 now and dont think I’ll ever see my team or country win anything significant....this was my chance ?

4 years time pal

World Champion U17’s & U20’s to come through & Gareth is right man to bring them into the team

Foden from Man City & Oxlade Chamberlain will make a huge difference to this teams attacking quality

Just now, Andicis said:

Lovren and Maguire 50-50? Ahahahaha. Lovren is one of the worst defenders in any of the top 6 teams. I would absolutely pick Maguire over him. Same as I'd pick Henderson over Brovovic, Trippier is one of our only player that comes out of this game with credit.

Lovren plays for a team who reached the champions league final whereas Maguire plays for a midtable team. I love Maguire as a player but Lovren has pocketed Ronaldo and Messi in the last few months and Kane tonight. He’s better than people give him credit for. The way Liverpool press would make even the best of defenders look poor because their defenders are left exposed 1 v 1.

Some interesting post match tactical chat between bilic and hoddle. 

Pointed to Croatia being surprised by England formation and taking 1st half to work it out.

Then when they adapted,  we didn't - or couldn't - respond. 

A very interesting point. Does Gareth Southgate have the tactical awareness and in-game skills to adapt? Or is it that this time he just didn't have versatile enough players ?

26 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Don’t think Hughes has got the killer pass at a high level like this. Phil foden will be the one to take the England team to the next level. I predict he will be in the England team by the end of the year.

Foden as great potential but will he be given enough game time in the City first team to earn a senior England call up? 

Its not just him that needs the game time in the premiership. A lot of the young English players we seen winning  junior international tournaments recently are not going to being given enough opportunities to play in their domestic club's first team to help develop their skills.

Just now, McLovin said:

Lovren plays for a team who reached the champions league final whereas Maguire plays for a midtable team. I love Maguire as a player but Lovren has pocketed Ronaldo and Messi in the last few months and Kane tonight. He’s better than people give him credit for. The way Liverpool press would make even the best of defenders look poor because their defenders are left exposed 1 v 1.

Lovren pocketed Ronaldo and Messi, please stop. Kane absolutely destroyed Lovren last time in the Premier League too. Lovren is absolutely not better than Maguire. We just created nothing offensively. This was because we couldn't get any foothold in midfielder, as Henderson, Alli and Lingard didn't achieve anything.

Just now, Cool As Custard said:

4 years time pal

World Champion U17’s & U20’s to come through & Gareth is right man to bring them into the team

Foden from Man City & Oxlade Chamberlain will make a huge difference to this teams attacking quality

Everyone else will improve though, you think the Germans, the Argies and the Brazilians will stand still after thier performances ? This was our chance (ps I hope you’re right though ) 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

There is absolutely shame in losing to Croatia. They have 2 quality players, and the rest of them are bang average. Perisic one of the best midfielders in Europe? Give your head a wobble! 

No bother? We just lost our best ever chance of winning another world cup because we're bottlers. It's absolutely a bother. Pathetic, defeatist attitude. Let's celebrate a 4th place finish. Woo.

Ignorance is bliss! 

What do we have? 1 quality player? A right back at CB. A RM at LWB. A brand new young keeper, a new young centre back pairing, Jordan Henderson to run the midfield, half fit Alli, a PL non starter in Lingard, a knackered Kane, a media scapegoat Sterling.... 

Southgate's done brilliant to shoehorn that team into a formation we seem comfortable with. Some better finishing on another day and we go through, turns out our one quality player isn't as quality as we thought when he's played 60+ games over the year and is struggling to run. 

Aye, no bother from me. Semi finals a great achievement, nobodies celebrating anything, just proud of a young team which has achieved more than any of the better quality teams we've had over the past three decades. 

Just now, Mr Tibbs said:

Ignorance is bliss! 

What do we have? 1 quality player? A right back at CB. A RM at LWB. A brand new young keeper, a new young centre back pairing, Jordan Henderson to run the midfield, half fit Alli, a PL non starter in Lingard, a knackered Kane, a media scapegoat Sterling.... 

Southgate's done brilliant to shoehorn that team into a formation we seem comfortable with. Some better finishing on another day and we go through, turns out our one quality player isn't as quality as we thought when he's played 60+ games over the year and is struggling to run. 

Aye, no bother from me. Semi finals a great achievement, nobodies celebrating anything, just proud of a young team which has achieved more than any of the better quality teams we've had over the past three decades. 

Croatia is a country of 4 million people. Belgium of 11 million people. Surely we should be asking, why are our players SO much worse than theirs, considering we have 5 or 10 times their population? 

Everyone else will improve though, you think the Germans, the Argies and the Brazilians will stand still after thier performances ? This was our chance (ps I hope you’re right though ) 

They’ll all be bringing through new players who have to learn - ours will benefit from this experience & remain ahead

Keep the faith brother - have some positive vibes!!

Just now, 1of4 said:

Foden as great potential but will he be given enough game time in the City first team to earn a senior England call up? 

Its not just him that needs the game time in the premiership. A lot of the young English players we seen winning  junior international tournaments recently are not going to being given enough opportunities to play in their domestic club's first team to help develop their skills.

I think he will get a lot of playing time this year. Guardiola seems to rate him a lot and if city are aiming for all the trophies, I’m sure they will rotate. David Silva is also coming to the end of his career so I’m sure he will integrate Foden in slowly. 

Even just by training with the Man City players day in day out will make him better.

I think it was Thomas muller who said that guardiola’s training sessions are tougher than the matches themselves which is surely a positive for England. Pep will keep Foden’s feet firmly on the ground.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Croatia is a country of 4 million people. Belgium of 11 million people. Surely we should be asking, why are our players SO much worse than theirs, considering we have 5 or 10 times their population? 

China, USA and India have a population of billions of people and how many world class players are they producing? I know football isn’t their national sport but having more people doesn’t mean any country should have an entitled right.

I haven't enjoyed a World Cup series as much since Mexico '70 and that one had Péle and Banksy in it!

This one has Mbappé and Pickford in it!

Also this England team is on the up and up rather than passing it's use by date!

Yes, be disappointed, but very proud of our (over?)achievement.

Archived