World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

16 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I'm actually more excited for tonight's game than this afternoon's.

If Croatia produce a masterclass and beat Russia well - then I'm worried. If it's close, or if Russia win, then a world cup final surely awaits!

Russia scare me. They arent a good team but they’ve run the most and made the most sprints in the tournament despite having an aging team(Make of that what you will) and one of their players has already been accused of doping by his father, plus they will have the home intimidating factor. It may or may not be true but if one player is doing that, how many of the others are doing the same? 

Golovin ran over 15km in the last match. That’s not normal is it for a player who isn’t usually known for his running or stamina. 

Those running stats combined with the hostile atmosphere and Russia naturally having favouritism by the referee is dangerous to play against. Reminds me of Korea 2002 all over again.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Russia scare me. They arent a good team but they’ve run the most and made the most sprints in the tournament despite having an aging team.

Salt mines won't look after themselves.

So far we have been no more than competent. Really we should have beaten everyone we have beaten. The draw has been exceedingly kind to us. However, competent is better than our usual World Cup form.

I think we probably have a 60/40 chance of winning the semi, but think we have to improve massively to beat France or Belgium.

4 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

As I alluded to in a reply to Andy in Liverpool maybe this crop have less interest in using a World Cup to raise their personal celebrity profiles. 

I’d say that’s complete balls. Dele is absolutely everywhere, being sponsored by Lynx, Adidas and Boohoo (clothing brand) to name a few. Lingard is a one-man brand (#JLingz), Sterling has a YouTube channel, Loftus-Cheek is a heart throb and Walker often goes viral with his tweets.

If anything, I’d say it’s the most publicity-seeking team I’ve ever seen, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. It’s allowing these multimillionaires to connect with the normal people, even if it does include dabbing and stupid poses.

3 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Unpopular opinion: We're getting away with it, and no one wants to admit it. 

It must really piss you off that you STILL haven't been able to say "I told you so".

3 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’d say that’s complete balls. Dele is absolutely everywhere, being sponsored by Lynx, Adidas and Boohoo (clothing brand) to name a few. Lingard is a one-man brand (#JLingz), Sterling has a YouTube channel, Loftus-Cheek is a heart throb and Walker often goes viral with his tweets.

If anything, I’d say it’s the most publicity-seeking team I’ve ever seen, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. It’s allowing these multimillionaires to connect with the normal people, even if it does include dabbing and stupid poses.

Oh. You forgot the circus Beckham created under Sven have you ? Say what you like, I think you are the one typing complete balls.

4 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Unpopular opinion: We're getting away with it, and no one wants to admit it. 

I think we've been reasonably well organized and a competent team, but no more, and if we'd been up against genuinely quality opposition we'd come unstuck.

If Croatia get past Russia I think they'll beat England.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

It must really piss you off that you STILL haven't been able to say "I told you so".

Please do elaborate? 

Personally I thought we'd make the quarters, and we've done one better, I'm delighted with that. 

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we've been reasonably well organized and a competent team, but no more, and if we'd been up against genuinely quality opposition we'd come unstuck.

If Croatia get past Russia I think they'll beat England.

Agree. Whole heartedly. 

We've scored one "decent" goal - Lingard's against Panama. We have got extremely (I literally can't emphasise that word enough) lucky with the draw. The one time we came up against what I'd personally consider to be "proper" opposition (Belgium), we've lost. The football has been boring (I'd think a Derby County forum that on the whole slates Rowett for his style, would agree with that), the only thing distracting from that is that the results haven't been boring. Kane may be on for the golden boot but he's had 4 (?) penalties and one goal that should have been counted as Loftus-Cheek's really... he's not been all that. We created absolutely sod all chances of note against Colombia. Oh, and Sterling is trash... as a striker. Tell me I'm wrong. 

When we come up against a real team of any real quality, we will probably lose. I'm fine with that, we did well to get this far and I'm genuinely ecstatic about it. However, being happy with the progress in the tournament and the results we've had thus far, and being objective about the football I'm seeing, do not need to be mutually exclusive. 

1 minute ago, GadFly said:

Agree. Whole heartedly. 

We've scored one "decent" goal - Lingard's against Panama. We have got extremely (I literally can't emphasise that word enough) lucky with the draw. The one time we came up against what I'd personally consider to be "proper" opposition (Belgium), we've lost. The football has been boring (I'd think a Derby County forum that on the whole slates Rowett for his style, would agree with that), the only thing distracting from that is that the results haven't been boring. Kane may be on for the golden boot but he's had 4 (?) penalties and one goal that should have been counted as Loftus-Cheek's really... he's not been all that. We created absolutely sod all chances of note against Colombia. Oh, and Sterling is trash... as a striker. Tell me I'm wrong. 

When we come up against a real team of any real quality, we will probably lose. I'm fine with that, we did well to get this far and I'm genuinely ecstatic about it. However, being happy with the progress in the tournament and the results we've had thus far, and being objective about the football I'm seeing, do not need to be mutually exclusive. 

We’ve score 11 goals..... decent or not, or do you get 2 for better ones, 

Archived