Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

2 minutes ago, Grantona said:

If this goes through, it strikes me as a bit of a "panic buy" by Burnley after they set their sights on Jay Rodriguez all summer.

Rodriguez wants the move but Burnley's latest bid of £16 million was rejected by West Brom last week.

And only yesterday it was reported that there are THREE other PL teams interested in JR - including Spurs whose manager Mauricio Pochettino worked with the player 3/4 years ago at Southampton. West Ham are one of the other teams and could clearly blow Burnley out regarding wages.

So, I think Dyche has reluctantly turned to an alternative. Maybe it will be Vydra, I do not know. We are supposed to want Peter Crouch but he is a completely different type of (Rodriguez & Vydra).

Hes a quality signing if you get him

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

66 appearances over the past 2 season for a club that has avoided relegation and qualified for Europe bringing with it several hundred million of revenue.  

And yet people question the wisdom of bringing him into a club for 10 million, sometimes words fail me.

While this is true, and he's clearly doing something right, maybe the competition for his position just isn't very good.

His average rating on whoscored for last season was lower than Ikechi Anya's for us last season, and Abdoul Camara's the season before.

In fact, it was the 11th worst rating in the entire premierleague - and he was the only player in the bottom 20 to have started more than 20 games.

So while he's clearly doing something right in order to hold his position, he's also clearly doing plenty wrong.

That being said, I don't think Vydra will have problems. If the system is right, Vydra will score. The goal is in the same place regardless of the level you're playing at. He's an excellent finisher.

28 minutes ago, Bad Sheep said:

Hendrick always used to frustrate me. When he was up for it he put in some excellent performances. Unfortunately that just wasn't often enough. It comes down to attitude for me. Compare him to someone like Lampard for example, who whilst not necessarily the most naturally gifted player, worked his socks off to wring every last drop of ability out of himself and consequently reached the heights that he did.

I think this narrative is overblown. There are plenty of players who work extremely hard on the training ground and on the pitch but still aren't good enough because they lack talent.

Lampard wasn't as technically gifted as the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, Zidane & had to work hard to get to that level but he was still far more gifted than the average player.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think vydra would drop his wage demands to go to a pl club. (A bit)
Im sure the £50k/wk to leeds was because hhe didn't want to go

Clucas to Burnley move collapsed after the clubs agreed a fee because Clucas wanted £50k a week.

Burnley's current ceiling is £40-45k (plus big incentives for league placing and staying up)/

3 minutes ago, Gil said:

I think this narrative is overblown. There are plenty of players who work extremely hard on the training ground and on the pitch but still aren't good enough because they lack talent.

Lampard wasn't as technically gifted as the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, Zidane & had to work hard to get to that level but he was still far more gifted than the average player.

Look at Ronaldo too. He wasnt the cream of the crop for Portugal. Quaresma was the best in Portugal for his age. Obviously he had talent but he worked his socks off and has kept this mentality of grinding to improve and look at him. By far the best player in the world (apart from scotty carson and wisdom) 

47 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

and when a random brazilian whos 16 cost madrid 45 mill

That's a lot of players for 45 million. Where do they put them all?

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

While this is true, and he's clearly doing something right, maybe the competition for his position just isn't very good.

His average rating on whoscored for last season was lower than Ikechi Anya's for us last season, and Abdoul Camara's the season before.

In fact, it was the 11th worst rating in the entire premierleague - and he was the only player in the bottom 20 to have started more than 20 games.

So while he's clearly doing something right in order to hold his position, he's also clearly doing plenty wrong.

That being said, I don't think Vydra will have problems. If the system is right, Vydra will score. The goal is in the same place regardless of the level you're playing at. He's an excellent finisher.

Not sure what the stats have to do with it? Hendrick is obviously asked to do a job, of which his manager is happy with, otherwise why pick him week on week, that may entail doing things that don’t look good in “stats”, compared to a player from a team that got relegated l.

The argument about not much competition doesn’t really hold up for a team that finished in the European places, unless of course you pick your team based upon the highest rating given by “Iwannabeapretendmanager” or whatever it is.

Are there better players out there than him, yes, has he proved to be good value for 10 million, even If he doesn’t play that much next year (based upon those who know the managers plans for him) will he still have been a success, I’ll let the fact he has played 66 games in a team that hasn’t finished that high for years be the answer to that one.

Just now, AdamRam said:

Not sure what the stats have to do with it? Hendrick is obviously asked to do a job, of which his manager is happy with, otherwise why pick him week on week, that may entail doing things that don’t look good in “stats”, compared to a player from a team that got relegated l.

The argument about not much competition doesn’t really hold up for a team that finished in the European places, unless of course you pick your team based upon the highest rating given by “Iwannabeapretendmanager” or whatever it is.

Are there better players out there than him, yes, has he proved to be good value for 10 million, even If he doesn’t play that much next year (based upon those who know the managers plans for him) will he still have been a success, I’ll let the fact he has played 66 games in a team that hasn’t finished that high for years be the answer to that one.

I think it does. Finishing in the european places does not mean you're strong in every position, it means you play in a way that benefits your strengths and obscures your weaknesses well enough to achieve it.

That's how team sports work.

Hendrick is their weakest midfielder. 

Now, saying that, I by no means agree that Dyche will regret signing him. £10m is peanuts in the grand scheme and clearly, whoever else they would have played in that position is (slightly - judging by him only playing just over half their games) worse. 

I wasn't making the point to try and suggest he wasn't worth the money - I was merely explaining that just because a team finishes in the European qualification spots does not mean that every player is of European caliber.

1 hour ago, David said:

Most Albion fans think £18 million is a "fair" price, but their board/CEO are notoriously difficult to deal with.

I think BFC have a better chance of landing Vydra without all the hassle and stress. Shame because JR started as a junior for Burnley and wanted a move "home". 

It smacks of it all being "a bit too late" concerning any new Rodriguez bid, with WBA having little time to sort out a replacement having also lost Rondon.

2 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Most Albion fans think £18 million is a "fair" price, but their board/CEO are notoriously difficult to deal with.

I think BFC have a better chance of landing Vydra without all the hassle and stress. Shame because JR started as a junior for Burnley and wanted a move "home". 

They have a better chance because we arent firm on our prices

1 hour ago, David said:

Does anyone really want to live in Burnley?

Nearly all BFC players live in Cheshire or south Manchester.....Jason Shackell and his American missus (dream home in Alderley Edge).?

JS a free agent still?

1 hour ago, Rample said:

I'm glad we have potentially found a buyer. Best for both Vydra and the club.

Playing in Europe too. Hope he smashes it and rubs Leeds' noses in it. 

Do think Dyche would have learned from getting Henricks though our players aren't all they were cracked up to be.

Dyche is a very good judge of a player that’s why he went for Hendrick Bryson and Keogh 

50 minutes ago, Grantona said:

If this goes through, it strikes me as a bit of a "panic buy" by Burnley after they set their sights on Jay Rodriguez all summer.

Rodriguez wants the move but Burnley's latest bid of £16 million was rejected by West Brom last week.

And only yesterday it was reported that there are THREE other PL teams interested in JR - including Spurs whose manager Mauricio Pochettino worked with the player 3/4 years ago at Southampton. West Ham are one of the other teams and could clearly blow Burnley out regarding wages.

So, I think Dyche has reluctantly turned to an alternative. Maybe it will be Vydra, I do not know. We are supposed to want Peter Crouch but he is a completely different type of striker (Rodriguez & Vydra).

As for Europe, Burnley are underdogs against Istanbul (Adebayor, Turan, Emre, Clichy, Frei, Inler among others).

If you sign you will have a very good goal scorer 

Archived