Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

On what basis can you say that? He's proven over his career that he needs a striking partner to be successful - 

Watford - Partner with Deeney - 36 Goals in 80 games

West Brom - Sole striker - 3 goals in 23 games

Reading - Sole Striker - 3 goals in 31 games

Derby - Sole striker - 4 goals in a full season

Derby - Partnered up with Nugent/Jerome - 21 goals in a full season.

Point proven. 

*Drops mic*

Reading he played with either Cox or Kanu in a 2, WBA it was only the latter part of the season they changed their formation, they often also played two up front, Long and Anelka I think.  

Not saying he isn’t more effective with a partner, however unless my memory is fading which it quite possibly is, he tends to do well when the team is performing, probably the same as most strikers to be honest.

30 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

On what basis can you say that? He's proven over his career that he needs a striking partner to be successful - 

West Brom - Sole striker - 3 goals in 23 games

Reading - Sole Striker - 3 goals in 31 games

Derby - Sole striker - 4 goals in a full season

Derby - Partnered up with Nugent/Jerome - 21 goals in a full season.

Watford - Finished 3rd - One manager all season

West Brom - Finished 17th - 3 different managers

Watford - Finished 2nd - 4 different managers (slight anomaly)

Reading - Finished 17th - 4 different managers

Derby - Finished 9th - 3 different managers

Derby - Finished 6th - One manager all season

Could be argued he doesn't play well in struggling sides who can't get him the  ball? Could maybe be argued he doesn't deal well when different coaches come in and move him all around the pitch?

It's never as simple as "he can only play in a 2" - There could easily be other factors - We're going to be a top-end (top 8 at least?) side still next year - And Hopefully will have managerial consistency - Who knows, he might flourish in a slightly different role if those things are in place...

4 hours ago, t'oldu said:

Probably Stoke.......... or abroad.  It really doesn't matter as long as we get more than we paid for him.   Whatever, he has burnt his boats at Derby.   The format that has evolved over preseason would not accommodate either himself or Martin as pivotal players,      There is no reason to undo all the hard work that has gone into moving us on and modifying the squad.   Its like a breath of fresh air has blown away the cobwebs .

What makes you say that? - as far as I'm aware, he hasn't asked to leave - if anything, the club has been hawking him around trying to get a good price - if there's interest, he's quite sensibly talked to the other club(s) but it's not worked out for some unknown reason - and it's hardly Vydra's fault that he scored plenty of goals last year and so now is a saleable asset. Burning his boats would be demanding to leave and not being able to find a club - that's simply not the case....

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

What makes you say that? - as far as I'm aware, he hasn't asked to leave - if anything, the club has been hawking him around trying to get a good price - if there's interest, he's quite sensibly talked to the other club(s) but it's not worked out for some unknown reason - and it's hardly Vydra's fault that he scored plenty of goals last year and so now is a saleable asset. Burning his boats would be demanding to leave and not being able to find a club - that's simply not the case....

Because he's pants on head crackers, I would guess.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Not sure who you're gunning at with that comment. Fact is that Vydra can't play in specific systems. 4-3-3 is one of them. He needs a striking partner. He won't get that this season with us. Needs to be sold. 

You seem to be another poster who seems to think that fact and opinion are one and the same thing. They're not!

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

You seem to be another poster who seems to think that fact and opinion are one and the same thing. They're not!

Not 100% how you've come to that conclusion? I've stated my opinion and the stats that back up my point. It's a fact that Vydra cannot play on his own as a striker. End of. 

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

He more often than not played in front three at Watford - Foristieri and him behind Deeney .  Bit like Bueno and Commons did here when we had Kuqi on loan -two number 10s and a brick shithouse up top bringing them into play.

13 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Not 100% how you've come to that conclusion? I've stated my opinion and the stats that back up my point. It's a fact that Vydra cannot play on his own as a striker. End of. 

Dude - I'm not sure you understand the meaning of one of these...

In my opinion, if Vydra were to fit into the current team setup, without changing shape, it'd more likely be in the role(s) Wilson & Lawrence play than the role Nugent is currently tasked with.

There's nothing to suggest that this isn't what Frank has in mind too, plus there is also the option of changing to a 4-2-3-1 if a game needs changing by putting him on for Bryson (or Mount).

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

There's nothing to suggest that this isn't what Frank has in mind too, plus there is also the option of changing to a 4-2-3-1 if a game needs changing by putting him on for Bryson (or Mount).

Or this - I've been advocating this for a while

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He more often than not played in front three at Watford - Foristieri and him behind Deeney .  Bit like Bueno and Commons did here when we had Kuqi on loan -two number 10s and a brick shithouse up top bringing them into play.

Stick Mount and Wilson/Bryson in the middle and get them to break wide to support the full-backs when they get forward

Then your dual-AMs in the middle (say Lawrence and Vydra) play more through the middle - But also move out wide if needed as well - Best of both worlds

I suspect the front 5 will be fairly fluid this season anyway - Sometimes the wingers will drop inside - I suspect Bryson will go back to running past the striker - Nugent (and Marriott) are the kind of players who run into the channels

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Marriott, Nugent, Vydra, Wilson, Lawrence, FloJo, Thomas, Bennett and possibly a new number 9 all for 3 spots (and that doesn't include Martin, Jerome, Anya, Blackman etc.). A little bit overkill ?

Archived