Would you sell Vydra?

robglosta

21 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

He was having a quiet pint in glasshouse in Belper last week. For that reason alone No

Funny enough I heard someone on the bus talking about that yesterday.

He looks good on it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, robglosta said:

A hypothetical concept to mull over, but for upwards of 10m would you support the club selling our top scorer and reinvesting the fee into 2/3 players?  If so, which positions?

If Nigel Clough was still the manager, then yes I'd reluctantly be okay with that because he knows how to reinvest wisely.

But I remain to be convinced that GR would maximize whatever cash was made available. 

Got me to thinking. What an incredible manager Arthur Cox was until he was given too much money.

There's a skill to spending big sums on players and a skill to paying next to nothing and few managers have both. In fact, some have neither.

5 hours ago, ramblur said:

Not that easy, I'm afraid. If you let players go out of contract, their residual values will have become zero. Under the old arrangements, where all in fees were amortised down to zero, that wouldn't have been a problem. Nowadays though, some of the players you mention may have been given quite high residual values and large losses might arise. It would be far better to get what we can in those circumstances (anything is better than nothing). Trouble is, I reckon other clubs might know we're desperate to offload, making it a buyers' market. 

More reason why Vydra needs to be sold this summer then to offset some of the residual values we wont get back on some of those going out of contract. Either way though looking at the reported wages of the players due to be out of contract at the end of next season we’ll be saving well in excess of £100k a week - may be even as much as £150k. That is a serious easing of the wage bill especially if they are going to be replaced by younger hungrier players on lower wages - we’ll have a more sustainable cost base to move forward from again.

3 hours ago, Moist One said:

we would have to (at least) double our money on him, given some of the prices the likes of Boro (Assombalonga) and Villa have paid for strikers in recent years. £20m, I'd consider it. Would I trust Rowett with it? Different question.

May is ask Why?

havent his signings just played a large part in getting us into the play offs 

hudds, literally our midfield linchpin.

davies .. poty contender 

Jerome .. everyone myself included being proved hugely wrong about him.

lawrence.. 7m a lot, not a bad first season, not a great one but looks much more the player we thought we'd got in his new more advanced central role.

still young, still learning will only get better 

so why wouldn't we trust Gary ?

id wager my house that if he had.the money clement was given we wouldn't have spunked god knows how much on Blackman, Johnson and butterfield 

43 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

May is ask Why?

havent his signings just played a large part in getting us into the play offs 

hudds, literally our midfield linchpin.

davies .. poty contender 

Jerome .. everyone myself included being proved hugely wrong about him.

lawrence.. 7m a lot, not a bad first season, not a great one but looks much more the player we thought we'd got in his new more advanced central role.

still young, still learning will only get better 

so why wouldn't we trust Gary ?

id wager my house that if he had.the money clement was given we wouldn't have spunked god knows how much on Blackman, Johnson and butterfield 

I am not convinced either way, but what I would ask is, Would Rowett have bought Vydra in the first place for £8m, I reckon the answer is no. I have a perception that he'd buy 3 x £2.5m players to fill the team out as opposed to buying that 1 player that puts us above the rest.

I hate selling our best players...if we don’t go up though I suspect we will get offers we can’t refuse. A striker at 26 with the Champ Golden Boot must be worth £15m. He is on another level really; his speed and dead-eye finishing make him hot property. How much will Watford get in sell-on? 

3 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

More reason why Vydra needs to be sold this summer then to offset some of the residual values we wont get back on some of those going out of contract. Either way though looking at the reported wages of the players due to be out of contract at the end of next season we’ll be saving well in excess of £100k a week - may be even as much as £150k. That is a serious easing of the wage bill especially if they are going to be replaced by younger hungrier players on lower wages - we’ll have a more sustainable cost base to move forward from again.

We'd probably get something back, but I guess it would be some way short of RVs. If we managed to sell Martin and/or Bryson that would probably be nearly all profit to offset against potential losses on others.

I never pay much attention to 'reported' wages, as I think it's just another word for 'guessed'. However, I'd concede that there'd be substantial savings, though you would have to offset the wages of incomings. If we don't go up, I'd agree that the cost base would be far more sustainable once 18/19 is out of the way (and it should improve a fair bit in that particular year)

I don't think we could get enough to make it worthwhile selling him.

At a  price of 16 - 20 mil  (don't forget he is very young) I would keep him

if we don't go up, perhaps sell., not sure tbh

I'd let the money men decide this one.

7 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I don't think we could get enough to make it worthwhile selling him.

At a  price of 16 - 20 mil  (don't forget he is very young) I would keep him

if we don't go up, perhaps sell., not sure tbh

I'd let the money men decide this one.

He is 26, which makes him very young only in our team! ?

11 hours ago, Moist One said:

I am not convinced either way, but what I would ask is, Would Rowett have bought Vydra in the first place for £8m, I reckon the answer is no. I have a perception that he'd buy 3 x £2.5m players to fill the team out as opposed to buying that 1 player that puts us above the rest.

So 7m for Lawerence ?????

13 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

So 7m for Lawerence ?????

Got to say that if there is one area rowett has inspired confidence as the season comes to a close its spending our money ,, Tom Lawrence is really starting to grow on me ,, he is a team player with a fair bit of flair and goals in him and assists ,he is not shy in doing his defensive work for the team and doesn’t shirk a tackle ,I honestly think he will go on to be a very good ince replacement, older experienced players that he brought in have been brought in on the right length of contract and fee to make them good value ,I’m very happy to give him another window to carry on the re building , hudds has been real quality as has Davies , cam jam is starting to show what rowett saw in him ,

some just rubbish anything and everything about rowett no matter the evidence in front of their eyes ,, quite sad really because now is the time w3 should be uniting as a club and fans again ,rowett has done a good job and done it in the right way 

3 minutes ago, Moist One said:

unproven, and still hit-and-miss. Not what you'd call an established player that "puts us above the rest". What's your point.

He’s an ever present in a team at the beginning of a rebuild that has been as high as second ,been in the top 6 for most of 5he season and now finished in the playoffs ,,, you see him as evidence as to why you wouldn’t really trust rowett to spend the clubs money? 

9 minutes ago, Moist One said:

unproven, and still hit-and-miss. Not what you'd call an established player that "puts us above the rest". What's your point.

Sorry have u been living in a cave ? 

Until rowett got hold of vydra how was his derby career looking?

Hardly hit the ground running did he 

34 minutes ago, archied said:

He’s an ever present in a team at the beginning of a rebuild that has been as high as second ,been in the top 6 for most of 5he season and now finished in the playoffs ,,, you see him as evidence as to why you wouldn’t really trust rowett to spend the clubs money? 

don't twist my words, he arrived here 'unproven'. Until 3 weeks ago, the majority were moaning about him, he was even being booed by Derby fans, remember the celebration?

30 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Sorry have u been living in a cave ? 

Until rowett got hold of vydra how was his derby career looking?

Hardly hit the ground running did he 

Vydra had history, but you prove my point, do you think Rowett would have paid £8m for Vydra at the time we bought him?

Archived