Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

places are obliged to provide public toilets, workplaces, pubs etc etc. If you owned a business, like a restaurant, would you find it fair that you have to open a variety of amenities to cater for people who just want to be a bit different?

Why do you have to provide anything different? They can use whichever toilet they like. Plenty of places have unisex toilets anyway.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

If you don't like it, ignore it.

What effect is it to anyone else if they identify as non-binary? I view the world as fairly black and white, I'm a logic man instead of creative, but if their viewpoint puts them at ease with themselves, who would I be to deny them peace of mind?

It's hard to ignore it when they're legally compelling you into agreeing with them.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Things that annoy me - people being outraged and offended by things unnecessarily.

Case in point, the McDonald's advert about the child whose father died. Found this article, agreed very much with:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/17/mcdonalds-child-grief-advert-bereavement

If you don't like it ignore it.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Stops you speaking about those thoughts - its not illegal to think them. 

Not yet, anyroad.

True. So they'll be compelled to say things they don't agree with by law but they can secretly think other things (probably because they don't yet have the tech available to stop unexpressed thought).

Fandabidozi. That's definitely a step in the right direction :(

13 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

True. So they'll be compelled to say things they don't agree with by law but they can secretly think other things (probably because they don't yet have the tech available to stop unexpressed thought).

Fandabidozi. That's definitely a step in the right direction :(

But bear in mind we're only talking about where someone can do a wee. That's not really a big ask for someone to just ignore and get on with their own life is it?

Other end of the spectrum - there are laws to say we can't shag kids. Plenty of paedos out there who are compelled to pretend they don't have those thoughts but are walking round eyeing up schoolkids.

So really it's about where do you draw the line and the answer seems to be - at the point where it doesn't materially affect you or anyone else's wellbeing, or the peace and order of society.

If someone is getting themselves worked up about something as unimportant as transgender bathrooms then they should probably check themselves the next time they talk about "liberals who go around looking for stuff to be offended by"

34 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

But bear in mind we're only talking about where someone can do a wee. That's not really a big ask for someone to just ignore and get on with their own life is it?

Other end of the spectrum - there are laws to say we can't shag kids. Plenty of paedos out there who are compelled to pretend they don't have those thoughts but are walking round eyeing up schoolkids.

So really it's about where do you draw the line and the answer seems to be - at the point where it doesn't materially affect you or anyone else's wellbeing, or the peace and order of society.

If someone is getting themselves worked up about something as unimportant as transgender bathrooms then they should probably check themselves the next time they talk about "liberals who go around looking for stuff to be offended by"

"Big ask" - things that annoy me. Try big request. Ask is a verb.

I wasn't talking about bathrooms (although I can do that). I was talking about the fashion craze of radicalised students and otherkins saying there are multiple genders and that we must comply with their thought process. Because that's what McLovin said annoyed him.

If you want to talk about trans issues that's a different discussion entirely. People who say there are more than 2 genders are not trans. Trans people (actual trans people) believe there are 2 genders and they are transitioning from one to the other. So what's the bathroom thing got to do with it? Unless you think we need a bathroom for each of the 50 odd tumblr genders?

Paedophiles are often regarded as sick so they receive mental health treatment. I'm not even saying people who identify as attack helicopters should necessarily recieve similar treatment but you're making an analogy to paedophilia? I'm confused? Who's the paedophile equivalent in your analogy, the otherkin or the person refusing to placate the otherkin? The normal person is compelled to believe something just like a paedophile regarded to be mentally ill is? In order to placate a person with (supposed) dysphoria? That's doesn't seem right. But then you're not talking about otherkins you're talking about trans people for some reason. I'm all sorts of confused here.

And it looks like the only person getting worked up by something as unimportant as transgender bathrooms is you? You literally just started talking about them when no one else was.

6 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

"Big ask" - things that annoy me. Try big request. Ask is a verb.

And also a noun

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2014/03/a-big-ask.html

Sorry about the muddled rest of the message - typing too quickly, but enjoyed your response. However the main point was about not getting worked up about stuff that doesn't materially affect you. Try it!

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

And also a noun

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2014/03/a-big-ask.html

Sorry about the muddled rest of the message - typing too quickly, but enjoyed your response. However the main point was about not getting worked up about stuff that doesn't materially affect you. Try it!

Interesting. Came from Australia. Says it all!

Things that annoy me - people who go into the 'random things that annoy me' thread and tell people they shouldn't be annoyed by things. 

Its only happened once as far as I can tell and it's about otherkins and non-binary types. I don't know what makes the holy sanctity of these people so special but **** em I say. They're annoying. ?

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, sage said:

People typing 'end of' after making a statement or giving an opinion. Usually when they don't have the wit to justify their comment.

Same people who raise their voices during a debate or retort to personal name calling if you don't agree with them.

Sith Happens
26 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Things that annoy me - people who go into the 'random things that annoy me' thread and tell people they shouldn't be annoyed by things. 

Its only happened once as far as I can tell and it's about otherkins and non-binary types. I don't know what makes the holy sanctity of these people so special but **** em I say. They're annoying. ?

Calm down, its not worth working yourself up about.:ph34r:

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

The people who claim there are more than 2 genders. There are males and females end of. 2 people appeared on good morning Britain the other day and got involved in a heated debate with piers Morgan. They identified themselves as "non binary" and identified themselves as a fox and an owl.

Biology actually recognises that gender is a spectrum, as does psychology and sociology. Putting people into binary categories is a social convention, generally imposed historically by Judeo-Christian culture. Other cultures, for example, Native Americans, have often recognised multiple genders. 

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2015/02/18/the-idea-of-two-sexes-is-simplistic-biologists-now-think-there-is-a-wider-spectrum-than-that/